Why add more power

monsterspeedfreak

Donating Member
Registered
I was just in a different thread, and Papaya9 brought up an interesting point.
He's curious as to why, some of us add more power to an already blindingly fast bike.
Let's help him understand........describe why you need, or want more power........might be an interesting topic to hear the different outlooks on.
Great idea Papaya......hope you don't mind me starting a thread :thumbsup: :super:

I have a friend that I ride with more than anyone else that has a 02 ZX12.  He got an exhaust and so did I.  He geared his bike down and so did I.  With equal mods my bike seemed a little faster on roll-ons but his last mod was a big bore stroker kit.  A little extreme for me at this time, so I will wait and sell my VTX and when my warranty is up I think I will slap on a turbo...ha ha ha, he won't have a chance!

I have a friend that I ride with more than anyone else that has a 02 ZX12.  He got an exhaust and so did I.  He geared his bike down and so did I.  With equal mods my bike seemed a little faster on roll-ons but his last mod was a big bore stroker kit.  A little extreme for me at this time, so I will wait and sell my VTX and when my warranty is up I think I will slap on a turbo...ha ha ha, he won't have a chance!
That will make him that tiny little dot way back there in yer mirror.......awesome idea..........I'm thinkin the same thing, "turbo".
Have you decided on which system yet?:super: :thumbsup:

It's kind of funny, really. I haven't even experienced all of what a stock busa will do yet and I already have dreams of putting NOS on it eventually. The best explaination I can come up with is the fact that I just absolutely love extreme machines. Land driven machines just don't get much more extreme than a turbo'd or bottle fed busa! Does that make sense?

OK, Honestly the serious power junkies have me a bit confused. I love power, but I guess I just have a bit less of a habit here.

I think we need a power addicts support group or something....Give new meaning to Betty FORD clinic...:D

OK, Honestly the serious power junkies have me a bit confused.  I love power, but I guess I just have a bit less of a habit here.  

I think we need a power addicts support group or something....Give new meaning to Betty FORD clinic...:D
Denial is the first symptom, dude. Yer eat up!!! :D

By the way, where are those SIG photos? :super:

One of the things that makes the stock Busa so appealing to me is the raw power and potential for speed that power implies.  It is the king of speed.  To go faster on the ground you must spend many many times more money on an exotic sports car.  With bikes, there is nothing else.

If you buy a cruiser you might add chrome bits and saddle bags and loud pipes, beasuse all of those things add to the perception of cruiser style.  They enhance those things that make a cruiser a cruiser.  They promote a style perhaps even a lifestyle.  In short they make your bike MORE of a cruiser -- to you at least.

But how to accomplish the same general thing with a Busa?  Well you have to make the Busa more of a Busa -- the King of Speed more majestic.  

How?  More power!  Say it with me my brothers and sisters!  MORE POWER!  Can you feel those ponies leaping and charging in that engine?!?  Can you feeeeel the speed?!?  And what gives you that rush, that Busa propelling, rocket thrusting, awe inspiring accelleration?  MORE POWER!!!  And what is that holy force that drives our Busas into fame and glory?  MORE POWER!!!  What makes them the fastest thing this side of a jet fighter?  MORE POWER!!!  

And how do we reach this holy grail?  How do we accel at our acceleration?  How do we get MORE POWER?!?  We add and replace parts.  We shave weight.  We let the engine breathe and sometimes breathe fire!  We tweak and tune until that beast rages and roars.  We give the Busa MORE POWER!!!  Say it with me one more time...  MORE POWER!!!

That will make him that tiny little dot way back there in yer mirror.......awesome idea..........I'm thinkin the same thing, "turbo".
Have you decided on which system yet?:super: :thumbsup:
If I can get about $10,000 for my VTX I was thinking of the Andersson turbo(about $7500). Long way off, but it could happen!!!

"A Speed/Power junkie never can get their machine to have enough Speed/Power because the more power and speed, the bigger rush it is! In other words, fast is never fast enough!"

I admit, I am a Speed/Power junkie!!!

I hope that anwsers your question. :cool:

You can never have enough power, the only limitation is money...

Blas when you start looking for a turbo checkout Velocity Racing. I'm saving my money, this will be my next major upgrade...

:super:

FLCN72: My sentiments exactly.

Hairdryer...I get it...

Has anyone put on a turbo and NOT had problems with it?
I've heard so many bad things about them. Ninja blew his engine, Sledhead melted a piston, Doc's is still in the shop. So many things have to be right, barometric pressure, temperature, etc. or bang! rebuild.
Do we have an experienced person on the board that has installed a turbo and gotten it right and runs it consistently?

Great question Big O............Johnnycheese......check in please.

Can you have a 260 hp turbo Busa that is relatively reliable.

Better yet Johnny........could you advise us on what is the most reliable way to make 250 or so hp........and yes I do realize that nothing is 100%

Thanks in advance JC. :beerchug:

Since the comment that inspired this thread originated in one of my posts, and since I didn't reply to it then, I might as well weigh-in now.

Some guys fish, some play tennis, some play golf, some play guitars, some live and breathe NASCAR, etc. I prefer to hot-rod motorcycles. Why?

The PERSONAL CHALLENGE of "doing it yourself".
The SATISFACTION of actually improving a well-engineered machine for specific purposes (better handling, appearance, and power-to-weight ratio).
The ADRENALINE RUSH from increased acceleration, braking, and handling, and the greater potential for avoiding street disasters as a result of superior performance.
The MENTAL DISCIPLINE necessary to restrain ego and maintain absolute control of such a mechanical beast.
The SENSATION of sanely living closer to the "edge" without going over it--like getting more out of life than the neighbor, like beating the devil.
The COMARADERIE of other performance-dedicated bikers whom are generally hearty, intelligent, and liberated.
The RECOGNITION from making an awesome track run on a well-sorted and immaculate machine.
The social AMUSEMENT that arises when people are shocked to learn that you not only ride, but actually race hot bikes.
I suppose I could go on, but I think you get my point.

Different strokes for different folks!!! :D

because like everything else in life Stuff gets boring.
You will get used to your stocker (6 months tops), the bigbore thing last about a year, NOS is like bottle feeding a baby (too many bottles to fill), boost is never ending :tounge:

I won't be modding my cycle in anyway, shape, or form.  Except tires, better oil and maybe air filter.  I bought it because it was fast enough, and I have no tools or mechanical abilities, nor time to be interested in that.   I gots nothing to prove and no one to prove it too, not addicted to speed, and enjoy what I have.  It's still other-worldly fast and I love that.  I've put 6000 miles on it in 4 months, and it's seems like it's always dirty, so I'm not some poser NON-rider.  ;)  I love seeing everything you guys do to your bikes and think it's pretty cool, and I am sure you have a blast doing it to!  I'm happy exactly where I is.  :)
My personal preference, opinion, and $.02, non-negotiable.   :D

I'm not against hobbies and such at all... exact opposite as I believe EVERYONE should have hobbies, but we all must think about 'contentment' also and IF and where to draw a line for that. Many people have problems with that and don't even know it. But that is for the therapy thread. Noncontentment corrupts many a thing in life, devaluing that which is truly valuable by itself: cars, houses, wives, lawns being greener... ;)

Even if you get used to the power, it can still come back and kick you in the ass if you get too cocky with it.

I found that out once the hard way. :sad:

Can a turbo be reliable? I'd have to say yes. I'm on my second turbo and I haven't had any problems with either turbo... but I did have associated issues.

My first turbo was a Mr. Turbo. I chose them because their home shop was close (Houston) and they seem to have credentials. Well, they were morons. Not only did they screw up the install (which I ended up having to basically do over myself), but they also managed to scratch fairings and lose parts. Poor, poor, and poor. It had some qualities I didn't like... non-intercooled, had to run octane boost, and very high end power curve.

Second (current) turbo is an MC Express. It is intercooled and runs fine on 92/93 pump octane. It was installed and tuned by Dennis "Motorhead" in OH. Much cleaner install, no scratched fairings and I got all my parts back. He even made sure my turbo mated to my dual HMF pipes. He made my bike run stupid fast!

With any big time modification like this, there will be problems. I am currently trying to track down a random oil leak that the Mr. Turbo guys stuck in my system. I can't quite tell where it's coming from because it doesn't always leak. I've cleaned the whole side of the engine and went riding, but no leak. Then I give up and notice it's leaking a week later and by that time, it's blown all over the place and I can't tell where the source is. I'll get it, it's just a pain.

Other than that, no problems. I only have about 2000 miles combined between both turbo systems.

As for why we do it... who knows. I can say there is NO other ride like a 300+rwhp Hayabusa though.

Back