Teka Box or Power Commander

KROOZER

Donating Member
Registered
My 06 has 607 miles and has the Yoshimura (race) bolt-on. Thats the only mod. I presently have a slight stuttering/hesitation at about 1500 rpm. My chain is loose and needs to be tightened. I really dont know if Im getting this stuttering from the chain or maybe bike is running leaner from the bolt-on. Yoshimura told me power commander not needed if thats the only mod. I read in the past that even a stock bike could benifit from power commander.
I like the idea of having my ecu flashed with a Teka box since there wont be an extra gadget on the bike. Hopefully this would correct the stuttering. I am well aware that U have more control or "points" with a power commander, but honestly, Im not that type of high tech rider. Im a long distance rider who just wants this problem corrected. Have no intention of getting a full exhaust in the future.
I went to Suzuki and asked about the Teka box. They told me this wont void my extended warranty. They wanted about $200 which would include the dyno to get it tuned right. I find that too high. The way I look at it, Im better off getting a power commander for about $250 and use a base map from Yosh. My question is: which route would U take? Should I tighten the chain first to see if this is the problem? Also, if U recommend the Teka box, should I add more miles before bringing it to dealer for dyno since bike is just breaking in?
Any input is truly appreciated. Remember, Im a simple long distance rider who just wants this problem corrected. I have a CDL license so U all know I cant play around....well, maybe just once in a while.

I have the same pipes you do. Yosh RS3 (race) bolt on's. I had my local dealer tune my bike with the TEKA tool and it runs AWESOME! Only cost $25.

It now has a much cleaner idle and very very crisp response. Mine was a tad lean. I would have a dealership tweak it with the TEKA tool! Don't waste your money on a Power Commander!

ebusa1.... I thank U and agree with U very much. But U only paid $25. They want to charge me $200. Big difference. I asked them cant they use a base map and they told me no, it would have to be dynoed. Another member also paid $25. I dont understand why they want to take me for a sucker.

when i had my bike down at the bash, i stopped in and had it tuned at Wheeler's. he used the Teka box for the tune and it only cost me $90 for the whole tune, dyno and all!!!! u can acheive essentially the same thing with a Teka box as u can a Power commander. save the coin and just use the Teka box...

(ozzy04 @ May 07 2007,15:24) when i had my bike down at the bash, i stopped in and had it tuned at Wheeler's.  he used the Teka box for the tune and it only cost me $90 for the whole tune, dyno and all!!!!  u can acheive essentially the same thing with a Teka box as u can a Power commander.  save the coin and just use the Teka box...
Wheeler actually prefers the TEKA box over the PC for tuning. The down side as an owner is that you need to go get it retuned every time you make a change that effects the A/F mixture. With the PC, you can swap maps and upload your self.

The dealer around here charges $65 to tune. $200 is outrageous.

Thanks for your input people, and Im really leaning on the Teka box. However, I refuse to pay $200 when my Busa brothers are paying less than $100. I guess I'll just see if there is another Suzuki dealer who are willing to do it less than my previous quote. Otherwise, Power commander would be the better choice for me, price wise.

(Johnnycheese @ May 08 2007,11:17) pc3usb is a world better than a TEKA
why?..i mean isn't it just fine for the guy who just wants set it and forget it mods?...like just a full exhaust and high-Flow airfilter and now Teka Tune the ecu map and save $250-$300 on a PC?.

I can understand where a pc is the way to go if a guy is planning on on-going eng mods such as cams, big bore...etc..but i think the teka box is a great deal for the "set-it-and-forget-it" kinda crowd.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

okay one more time.
there is no set and forget it. the teka just like the pc3 needs to be made on a load control dyno. if someone is just flashing it (no dyno tune)you are getting the same as the old yosh box

(Johnnycheese @ May 08 2007,12:08) okay one more time.
there is no set and forget it. the teka just like the pc3 needs to be made on a load control dyno. if someone is just flashing it (no dyno tune)you are getting the same as the old yosh box
"the teka just like the pc3 needs to be made on a load control dyno."

Of course it needs dyno load..or it wouldn't be a custom re-tuned map....and what i mean by "set-it-and-forget-it" is...guys who have just installed a full exhaust and chosen the representitive aiflter they intend to use (from here on out) and are now custom remapping the ecu via dyno and teka tune...they save the cost of a PC yet enjoy as much "noticable felt performance" as can be humanly detected..no benefit for lay'in out $300 for a pc there imho.

But those with future plans of going cams, big bore etc should go PC...again..jmho.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I know JohnnyCheese is in favor of the PC from reading his past forums He has also explained fully (in the past) the differences between the PC and Teka. Basically, he feels U have more control in the pc. However, I agree with Jinkster in a way that for a typical mod like an exhaust, the Teka might be just as good. But here is my dilema, $200 for a Teka tune (as I was quoted) seems excessive. For $250, I can get a PC and download a base map.

Try calling other local dealerships and see what they would charge. If you can't find a better price for a tune, go with a PC.

(KROOZER @ May 09 2007,02:29) I know JohnnyCheese is in favor of the PC from reading his past forums He has also explained fully (in the past) the differences between the PC and Teka. Basically, he feels U have more control in the pc.     However, I agree with Jinkster in a way that for a typical mod like an exhaust, the Teka might be just as good. But here is my dilema, $200 for a Teka tune (as I was quoted) seems excessive. For $250, I can get a PC and download a base map.
the problem with the TEKA is finding someone who knows what to set your bike to.
it is not a 5 min. job, it takes long to tune than with a PC3

i put a PCIIIusb on mine with yosh slipons,using base map. WOW what a difference,. Go with the PCIII and be done with it. Dont waste your money on a teka box. You cant go wrong with the PCIII. I now have Hindle full exhaust, what would the teka have done for me
rock.gif
NOTHING.

So here I am driving by the local dealer today and stopped by to scheduled an appt to get the Teka job done on my bike. I get a date set for next week and told him to give me a total (different technician), hoping I would get a lower price from the previous quote (same dealer). New price, $220+tx. I guess the weather is getting warmer so the price goes higher. Make a long story short, I cancelled the appt and left. For that kind of price, I'll rather spend about $250 for a new pc and use a freebase map until I can save for a custom map. (didnt I say this before?) But after reading DREW's reply about how happy he is with the base map, I think the base map might be my permanent map. I just hope the slight stuttering at 1500rpm will be history. If not, then I may have to ride down to MD this summer a pay GPW a visit and let him make me a map since my hero JohnnyCheese is too far. Thank U all.

Not to lengthen this up any but I went through the same dilemma.

I got the Power Commander for two reasons:
1) Adjustable by owner - can have maps for home (sea level) and for the mountains. Can change them with a click of the laptop.
2) More intervals for the tuner to work with. I was told by Ken Wheeler (a huge proponent of the Teka) that the PC has more adjustability.

He (Wheeler) charged me $80 to dyno tune it (the PC)when I was up for the Bash!

Besides, its only money
all_coholic.gif

Back