Who rides with Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) ??

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
How many of you use these and what do you use?

Did a search and threads are old around 2009, so thought I would ask again.

After my last blow-out scare, it sure will be nice to see a little alarm letting me know I have a flat tire happening before throwing the bike in a twisty.

blow outs just happen...nothing a TPMS can predict.
TPMS works fine to tell if you have a puncture but then the bike will likely feel odd anyway..the wee coloured valve caps are just as handy for a pre-ride visual check.

TPMS works fine to tell if you have a puncture but then the bike will likely feel odd anyway..the wee coloured valve caps are just as handy for a pre-ride visual check.

I'm glad somebody finally said it.
I wouldn't have them.
Check your tires and tire pressure before every ride.
The colored caps aren't a bad idea either.
If the tire is getting low, you can feel the big change in handling. If you cannot, maybe you're a motorcycle operator and not a motorcycle rider...there is a difference. I also say that respectfully.
I don't need a screen or light to take my concentration away from where it needs to be, the road. A lot happens during 1 second, and at 60 mph you just traveled 88 feet. That's almost to the 30 yard line, if that helps anyone's perspective.
If the screen/light tells you something is wrong, you should be feeling and have noticed the problem. Or are at least are about to.
If a tire deflates quickly or blows, if the screen/light knows about it before you do, buy a lottery ticket...if you live.
There is a right and a wrong way to crash too. It can't always be done, but it helps. I crashed a lot of mx bikes.
Even after you know you're about to, or are in the process of crashing(and if you're so fortunate to even get the opportunity to do so), you can still react and change the outcome. Better or worse pending.
Point being; I want my focus to be on the road, not on a screen/light or even any guage. Or even distracted momentarily by some alarm. A lot happens in a moment.
That's just me.
Some people get piece of mind from them.
Whatever works for you.
To each their own.

I agree 100%. A pre-ride check is invaluable. The TPMS is just one more gizmo to distract your attention while riding. My experience with on-the-road flats (twice, to be specific) has been that TPMS would have made no difference at all. The toe of my boot makes the perfect pre-ride pressure monitoring system.

i have to respectfully disagree here...the TPMS has nothing to do with nor should it be in place of a pre-ride check...it is just another level of peace of mind for those of us who travel a lot on our bikes...it isn't there to check out while you're dragging a knee around a corner, it's there to glance at when you transfer between surface materials on the road and you just want to make sure everything is running as it should...ever go through a construction zone and wonder if you picked up an odd piece of metal in your tire? do you pull off the road and check your tire immediately or just keep going and hope? i keep an eye on the read-out and know immediately when i've developed an issue...this quite possibly saved my butt on a ride in OK with a group from here...i was able to slow down and stop at the next station to air it back up and make it to a dealership to put a new tire on...much better than sitting on the side of the road somewhere wishing i had known that the metal rod was in my tire!

i agree that it isn't going to help in the place of a blow-out but neither is your temperature gauge if a radiator hose goes...i do like to be able to look down and see that the temp is right, tire pressure is normal, how much fuel i have left, and how fast i'm going...i don't look at any of those when i'm carving a corner on the Skyway but there's a time and place when they can come in very handy

i have to respectfully disagree here...the TPMS has nothing to do with nor should it be in place of a pre-ride check...it is just another level of peace of mind for those of us who travel a lot on our bikes...it isn't there to check out while you're dragging a knee around a corner, it's there to glance at when you transfer between surface materials on the road and you just want to make sure everything is running as it should...ever go through a construction zone and wonder if you picked up an odd piece of metal in your tire? do you pull off the road and check your tire immediately or just keep going and hope? i keep an eye on the read-out and know immediately when i've developed an issue...this quite possibly saved my butt on a ride in OK with a group from here...i was able to slow down and stop at the next station to air it back up and make it to a dealership to put a new tire on...much better than sitting on the side of the road somewhere wishing i had known that the metal rod was in my tire!

i agree that it isn't going to help in the place of a blow-out but neither is your temperature gauge if a radiator hose goes...i do like to be able to look down and see that the temp is right, tire pressure is normal, how much fuel i have left, and how fast i'm going...i don't look at any of those when i'm carving a corner on the Skyway but there's a time and place when they can come in very handy

Well said Brother :beerchug:

Tubeless tires do not "blowout" they run flat.

Tubeless tires do not "blowout" they run flat.

They most certainly do blow out.
And with a loud pop and then suddenly it's flat.
I have had 2, yes 2, rear tires blow out.
Then they run flat.
Both tires had 3" to 5" inch splits through the center of the tire.

Semi is absolutely right. I once was riding down the road with my tires inflated for road touring (36/42). I look at the TPM and the inflation is up around 50 in the Back! I was also losing air at about 1 psi a mile and pulled over to find a big screw in the tire. You need this, it's not just a gimmick. I use the one Pashnit sells. It's affordable and works well. The psi is off by about 2 psi high, but it is consistent so it works.

I use the billet valve stems that are angled. I set my pressure when it gets marmer in the early summer and it stays perfect all summer.

Been riding with TPMS for years, and wouldn't ride without it. Let me put it this way - anyone who rides without TPMS is simply taking a chance, and simply lucky that punctures don't happen that often, and when they do, the nail/screw most often seals the tire creating a slow leak. However, in rare cases, when it's a cut, the tire can go flat in a minute or less.

Sure, when there is no TPMS, doing the next best thing is to simply pay attention, and check the pressure as often as you can. But it's far from ideal, and to me it's simply unwise to ride without TPMS when it's widely available.

I was gonna do a speed run once, but my TPMS was blinking, and I didn't do it. It turned out to be nothing - I forgot to reset the unit after a track day. But that's the type of warning I am talking about.

Not to mention the convenience - no need to crawl under and check tire pressure. Also remember, every time you check, you lose a little bit of air, so after a number of times you have to add air. I can skip all this, and just go, glance on the display and be on my way.

I have SmarTire which unfortunately was discontinued a few years ago. I like this system a lot because sensor is permanently mounted inside the tire, providing not only pressure, but temperature reading as well. The display unit displays both, so you know pressure/temperature, but what is less obvious but also significant is that the display unit recalculates what the pressure change should be for the increased temperature, and compares with the actual number. A discrepancy triggers blinking alarm. This is important because you may have a drop of pressure due to the leak, but because the tire heats up, this brings the pressure partially back up. So, the pressure by itself is not enough of an indicator to accurately notice a leak, but of course it's better than nothing.

I haven't been following newer systems, but if there is one which places sensors inside, I'd recommend this type for the reasons I explained. It's a bit of a hassle to install, and when you change tires you have to be careful with sensors, but to me it's all worth it.

I know there are screw-on systems which go on top of the valve, but you have to replace plastic valves with metal ones. The extra weight of the sensor will be bending plastic valves at speed which over time may cause the valve to crack and fail. What I also don't like about screw-on systems is that the sensor is permanently pressing on the valve core so that it no longer blocks the air. Instead, the sensor itself is blocking the air. The problem is that the design of the sensors relies on the O-ring to seal the valve, which over time and with heat/cold cycles may fail. O-rings work great when you stick a pressure gauge for a few seconds to take a measurement, but leaving it for long time... not so sure.

Bottom line, when railing, I'd like to know with confidence that my tires have adequate pressure.

I use em. Won't ride without them. The good ones not only tell u pressure but temp as well. I ride till Dec so my tire pressure changes constantly with the weather. Set your alarms just below where your lowest cold pressure will be. I find them to be a great learning tool when it comes to pushing your tire/temp combos.

What I don't understand is Automobiles have had tire pressure monitoring systems since 2007 and it was a Federal mandate.
So why are motorcycles not included in this, as it could save a life whereas the Federal mandate was put in place to conserve fuel.

Instead we have to spend a couple hundred dollars or more to install a system on our wheels?

There's something Suzuki could do with a Gen III - add a tire pressure system.
I'm not sure if any motorcycles come standard with that or not - maybe BMW? ???

What he said, they just happen.
The best thing is, visually check your tire once in a while, but as per things that can puncture your tire and then cause a blowout, you just can't prevent it

TPMS is a good tool, but in the end like all tools there is a time and place where they should be used, and others where the gut feelings shouldn't be ignored.

that being said, if you are suited and ready to drag your knee, a pre-ride check is a MUST. or if you are just going down the street a preside check is a must as well, but toms bridges the gap between checks.

-D

Back