Tire pressure monitoring system for motorcycles

seen this before....reckon it isn't really that useful. What is the point of knowing the pressure in the tires?

Didn't know such a system existed. It looks interesting though, and I'm gonna dig around to see if I can find anymore info on it. Maybe some of the family members have experience with it and will share.

Bad thing about monitoring systems is the tire stems are much weaker and have a habit of getting cracks and then leaking.

Don't some of the high end cruiser bikes come with this. Someone was telling me about this setup some time ago. I believe it has a sensor that goes inside the rim which transmits a signal to a receiving unit? Is this correct?

I wouldn't run it on a sport bike but it may be an asset on a cruiser?

I check my tire pressure almost every time I ride and for sure if it's been more than 24 hrs since I checked it.

you can always buy the valve stem caps that indicate your pressure for you a lot less $$$ and much easier to install but this is definitely interesting.

way way too complicated... there is a unit that screws on to the valvestems and goes wireless to a keyfob.. Steve brought them to Fall Bash and I ran one (you missed out)

Takes 2 minutes to install and gives temp/pressure and is easy to read going down the road.. He has pics and am sure he will post them up..

I thought it was a neat item to have on a bike.. "knowing" tire pressures while riding is kind of cool... you can also tell when tires are cold.. (really nice when out running a bit aggressive)

Last edited:
Been running such system for years - SmarTire.com. Too bad they stopped making those for bikes. Not sure about safety of other systemts. The sensor is installed inside the rim with a metal strip going around the inside well of the wheel. I spoke with them as I had doubts about safety. They assured me that they tested their system up to 500 mph (not a typo), i.e. they spun the wheel during the test with the speed equivalent of 500 mph and no issues.

Keeping an eye on your tire pressure/temperature, and being alerted if pressure/temp deviates too much in either direction is a huge safety factor. Also being able to check your tire pressure/temp occasionally with a press of a button gives you confidence in your tires, and of course it's a huge convenience factor. I find it annoying to check the pressure manually, you need to move the bike so the valve is in the convenient place, and then after you check a few times, the pressure gets lower because you let a bit of air escape on every measurement, and then you have to add more air. All of that has been non-existent to me for the past years. Only time I had to do it manually was when adjusting it for the track day, and brining it up after the track day.

I also think that safety wise, very few will notice a leaking tire until it might be too late. So, why take a chance with your life when there is a way out? Most arguments I heard don't matter - because they all imply absence of the leak. Unless a rider checks every 10-15 min, it's impossible to catch it in time. If I had let's say 36 psi which gets to 40 - 41 when hot, and then I got a puncture and because of slow leak the pressure dropped from 40 - 41 to 32 psi, I want to know that instant.

I've run the TireGard TPMS on my 08 for about 2000 miles - love it - was always a bit uncomfortable with the way the busa tracks the road groves here in sunny california - always thought i was getting a flat with the slight wiggle - now i just glance down and see that tire pressure is good and quit worrying - just my 2 cents - ps - I bought one off ebay for about $125 total cost -

Back