Tire Pressure Monitor

UncleSteve

Gear good - roadrash bad
Donating Member
Registered
I tested this on the trip to the Stampede, (3700miles). Headed out one morning and rear tire indicated 18psi. Luckily we were in Casper WY and there was a dealer with a new tire for the busa.
These are well worth the price and they have them on sale. They also will give you tire temperature at the push of a button. The peace of mind they provide far exceeds the price. Just look down and see your tires have the right amount of air pressure.
Install could not be any easier, install the batteries and screw them on the valve stem. Power up the remote.
One thing I found during the install and did not see it in the manual.
After installing each of the sensors, I had to unscrew them a few turns and then tighten them back down for the remote to pick them up. After this the remote reads them each time you power it up.
The sensors contain a button battery, good for 2 years max. AAA battery life estimated at 6 months.

TireGard Wireless Motorcycle Tire Pressure Monitor System

good idea but its pretty pricey,im to cheap.ill stick to checking them manually:beerchug:

+1 I'm with ya on that one. A piece of mind is okay i guess. But I check my tires regular anyways. I'll stick with the $.99 tire guage. Good info tho.

I check my tires on a regular basis also. Just could not do it all the time and while I was traveling down the road.
I have experienced flat tires on the interstate and they are no fun.
Hard to know you picked up a nail a few miles back and now you are slowly bleeding off precious air from one of your tire. By the time you notice a tire is low, it may be too late to safely slow to a stop.

I check my tires often, and I had a flat in Nevada last year from a piece of gravel that would have left me stranded for hours without a TPS system on my Busa. I noticed the trouble light flashing and the display read 35lbs. A few minutes later it read 29 lbs. Then 27 lbs. I pulled over and got the tire plugged before it lost all the air. I whipped out the slime pump and was ready to hit the road again all in about an hour. I paid very close attention to the monitor for the next 275 miles. The distance I had to ride across Nevada before I found someone that had the correct size tire for the Busa. The patched tire was at the cords when it was replaced.

Truwrecks what type of TP monitor system do you have installed on your bike?
I am thinking about getting one, but am wondering if this one will put too much stress on the valve stem? The Manual says the sensors only weigh 10gms. Don't know if this will cause any problems with the stem?

Rumble

So obviously, you can mount the readout unit somehow and be able to monitor it? I guess THAT in itself could be worthwhile, because I too have picked up a nail on the e-way, and traveling so fast, they just spit right back out. Fortunately, I noticed the bike getting loose b4 anything bad happened. Maybe reconsideration is worth a thought here.

CrashTestDanny has been rinning the tire monitor that has the sensors that mount insire the tire on the wheel. He swears by the smart tire system.

I run the SmarTire monitor. Sadly I think they quit making it for bikes. Last time I looked they don't list a current motorcycle product. That's a shame because I want the same system for my FJR, but I haven't found one fit it. The sensors for the SmarTire are secured inside the tire, to the rim. They have nothing to do with the valve stems.

Is the pressure readout display easily visible in the daylight?? think I'd like to get this but only good if easy to read while riding and I don't have to push anything - just look down at it - thanks

On the SmarTire monitor the tire pressures display momentarily after the bike reaches 8 MPH or higher. After that is will not display anything unless the tire pressure rises or drops out of the tolerance values. Then monitor displays a yellow light and the tire pressure of the affected tire.

what's the speed rating on these? the reason I ask is when I put on tire flies (valve stem lights) they would liberate themselves @ about 80-85+:whistle:

The Kisan kit is designed for short or steel stems. Looking at the stem sensors I would have the tire rebalanced. The sensors are very secure.

I still like the sensors for the SmarTire better because they in attached inside the rim. I don't need to fuss with anything, except when changing the tires.

Mounts and ready to go in a few minutes. Any speed, real time pressure and temp. Yes all you do is look at it for pressure. Push a button for temp display. You have to mount the monitor with Velcro where you like. Mine is next to the brake reservoir.
It is what it is, an aftermarket device. Seldom as good as factory. The nice thing is it works, only takes a couple minutes to install, can be moved to another bike in a couple minutes. Only the sensor or monitor can fail. No wires to mess with, no hassle breaking tires down to install.
I will take pic later

would come in handy for peace of mind, with the price I was just worrying about flinging them off. how does the "antitheft locking ring" work. I run dynabeads, so balance shouldn't be a problem...would it?

would come in handy for peace of mind, with the price I was just worrying about flinging them off. how does the "antitheft locking ring" work. I run dynabeads, so balance shouldn't be a problem...would it?

No on the balance, if it bothers you have the tires re balanced, and as for the lock, it has an allen wrench and a ring if you are worried about theft.

Thanks UncleSteve for reply - is it easy to read the display in the daylight while riding??

Back