White Lining and spliting traffic

(fasttoys1 @ Jun. 10 2007,10:51) Tempting fate are we? not so much doing something right, just haven't been in the right place at the wrong time. If you drive on the edge, really on the edge(does sound like you were going slow). It's not I'm never going down, it's when am I going down.

just my thoughts, been there.....the edge that is.
If you ride long enough, no matter what, you will go down. The question is: How much will it hurt?

I don't split lanes because I know one of those idiots in a cage will hit me on his way to hitting another idiot in a cage.

Lane splitting almost passed here in Texas a few years ago. I know how it is with sweat running down the "back" but I have seen too many nut cases on the road that want to show you who owns it!
super.gif

én my country cage drivers are always leave some space for us and most of them are closing their mirrors for extra help.Thankgod they are convinced that a bike can never delay them to their job while they can.Passing through cages has become one of our rights and you never gonna have a ticket for that,but youre not covered in a case of an accident.We have also a kind of priority to tolls.
beerchug.gif

(8Daytona8 @ Jun. 10 2007,12:flamethrowing:)
(Luvanicebum @ Jun. 10 2007,12:56) So, Friday, coming home from Americade I ended getting stuck in about a 4 mile long string of cars during rush hour in 90+ degree in full black leathers.  You better believe I split traffic and white lined it.  Some people
honk as you slowly drive by (probably startled them) and this one guy in a Black Corvette actually pulled his nose out in front of me.  I was 1/2 second from dragging his bitch ass out of his window by his gay  hairdo and dropping some armored forearms onto his facial region, but I had to keep moving.  
Some people feel such jeolousy and animosity, they actually have to thwart someone elses progress.
It's not like I was blasting through them...had both feet down ambling through...what do you think?  what would you do?
What the H was up with Friday  
all_coholic.gif
Same crap happened to me! But i got a lane splitting ticket out of it! And the Leo didn't even see me do it. Down the shoulder just to keep her out of the red. I will do it again. You got no choice  
crazy.gif

beerchug.gif
This is one of my favorite subjects. Depending on what state you live in, splitting lanes may or may not be legal. However, driving down the shoulder is illegal in all states. If you go down the shoulder you are begging for a ticket. As for jerk cagers that want to block your progress....that is assault with a motor vehicle.

PC 240. An assault is an unlawful attempt, coupled with a present ability, to commit a violent injury on the person of another.

What do any of our LEO board members say? How do they interpret someone blocking a motorcycles passage with a car or making menacing movements toward a motorcycle with a car? I would like to hear their opinions.

You can always invite them out of the car and engage in voluntary or mutual combat and then you can bitch slap them. But only to the point that they give up or you begin to take unfair advantage, then you are guilty of battery. Long and slippery slope and you need to be prepared to defend yourself in court if you go that way.

Personally I yell at them, give them the finger and then get the hell away from them. After it is all said and done, I am long down the road and they are still stuck in traffic!

If there is enough room for a cager to share a lane in traffic with another car you bet your. butt they will. It happens everyday. In one day God only knows how much more cars than bikes share the same lane.

Hey luvan; same **** here except the a-hole was in a 350Z traffic dead stopped idleing thru in 1st gear and this D-head trys to pull his front end over to cut me off he didn't have room he was trying to rattle me. I got clear of him left bike idleing put kickstand down got of and proceded to ask what his problem was, I had on jacket, gloves, full helmet, and this dude gets out of his car, when he came around the door he got my helmet in the nose and was fixing to get another one when he stumbled back in his car, don't know if he got plate number or not went home next day at work have friend that is detective at local PD told him what happened he checked with dispatch had some cell phone calls but no complaints, and no plate numbers

I can't believe some cager would get out and **** with a fully armored, pissed off biker... seems kinda suicidal.
ha, that's just funny.
laugh.gif

+10 He got what he deserved and I'm glad you got away. All the 'witnesses' where probably laughing to hard to get your plate!

Some of these people need to be shot....at least twice.

Cuts Off Motorcycle[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
That video is definately a reminder. 3000lb cage vs. 500lb bike wins.
That looked completely deliberate. I would beat that driver to within an inch of his life.

I lane split every day. I live in California where it isn't against the law to do so. The freeway's I use are also fairly wide which makes lane splitting a little easier. Dr. Harry Hurt w/UCLA has done a couple major studies regarding motorcycle accidents and his reports have been published (one of his reports was a major factor in California allowing lane splitting) showing that lane splitting is actually safer when done properly than sitting in traffic. Both studies were done about a decade apart with the same results. If you ask me, you are taking all responsibility for your safety away when you become reliant upon the cager (who is nodding off by the way) behind you to be your safety net. I have ridden a little over 650,000 miles and I will put my safety record up against anyone. 1 accident, turn 2 at Willow Springs. How safe you are as a motorcyclist is all about your attitude. If you train, if you practice, and if you realize any accident you get into, or any accident you might get into in the future is your fault (you have to look at it that way because you are the one that is going to get hurt) you will go along way toward riding accident free.

My 2 cents.

I would suggest checking with the local LEO's, any peace officer I have ever met says "ignorance of the law is no excuse".

The closest I have come to a ticket in 15 years was executing a U turn in a light controlled intersection, with zero traffic oncoming or sharing my lane, after midnight in Red Deer Alberta. Apparently a nono.

Only other lights I saw for 3 blocks in either direction were red and blue, alternating. He was a very fresh LEO, was insistant on showing how important he was, but turned out to be a great guy after we talked for a while.

oops- hijacker alert. sorry.

i never split the traffic because like you said there are people who will do stupid things lie nosing out or possibly a door opening from no where. ill go down the outside if the shoulder is somewhat clean

In those temps and circumstances I have been known to do the same thing on the shoulder. The way I look at it is it is only a 50 dollar ticket, you can not get a shop to work on your bike for less than 60$ an hour. If the cop wants to get me for it, he is just doing his job, but he is going to have a low speed (3mph) chase on his hands till I get out of the traffic jam. Then I will stop and take my ticket.
beerchug.gif

some people are haters. I wouldn't lose any sleep (nor forearm skin) over it. You never know when you go to pull a guy out by his fake hair and he shoots you in the chest with a .44 magnum. This happens you know. Leather doesn't do much to stop a 230 grain travelling at twice the speed of sound.

(:

I used to split all the time. I would do it at 145 MPH on the DC beltway. I do not condone this horrible behavior and I am ashamed of myself... Just stay extra focused and aware when you split and never let anyone make you so angry that you stop to clobber them.

If it is illegal where you are, you will probably get taged with the following:

1. Splitting;
2. Assault;
3. Reckless Driving;
4. Reckless Endangerment.

At the very least! So, just keep moving and ignore the bozos.

-Rip

In Florida it's legal to ride the extreme right shoulder, as long as there is concrete. I've seen guys use that, and others that shoot down the white line between lanes. The guys using the extreme right, I root for...but the ones that zip between lanes, I cuss at. They could get killed at any moment. Someone changing lanes, or opening a door, you just never know.

If it's hot, and the bike and I are overheating... I'd right the extreme right, slowly. I haven't done it yet, but could see where it would be neccesary.

lol, 4mi!!!! I gotten stuck in traffic on that g** a$$ garden state sh*tway, 25mi of traffic, 95+ wearing black gear...

so there I go, slowly moving to cool off a bit. 10mi, 15mi, then all in a sudden there is that f*g troupsh*t waving to pull over.

Comes up to me, asks me if I knew while he was pulling me over, I say yes, asks me if I know it's wrong, I say yes, asks me why I'm doing it, tell him I'm "so freaking hot", tells me to sit tight, comes back 10min later (I tried to dismount in the meantime to help my ballz cool off, I was worried about not being able to ever have kids again) and of course hands me a f*cking ticket for "Careless riding". $200 F**ING BUCK!!!!

Lesson of the story, splitting is illegal most places but CA, I still tend to do it (though I'm carefull). Oh and yes, JERSEY COPS ARE F*CKING A$$HOLES!

I do it all the time, if I had a bottle of water etc I would've thrown it in his window
smile.gif
see him try and chase ya heh. I got pulled over a few weeks ago by a statie.. he thanked me for stopping, told me they had to send the airplane after me (didnt think i was going that fast) and checked my license and registration, talked to me for 15 mins then asked me if I knew my license was revoked (i was not aware) so he was like well get home safe slow down and let me go! Cops who have bikes = awesome, cops w/o bikes = dix

Back