Which one to buy?

reagannelson

Registered
First off, let me say "Hi" to everyone here! I have been lurking around for a couple of weeks and I am amazed at the amount of good info available on this forum.

Now for my question:
I am looking to buy a new Hayabusa and was wondering what the opinions were from the knowledge members of this forum. I have a chance to buy either a 2007 (red) or a 2008 (orange) and was wondering what the differences were. I sure like the orange better. The 2007 is $2,000.00 less than the 2008 but both are brand new. I have riden motorcycles for about 39 years but have never riden a sport bike before. Everything else though, from Hondas to Harleys, large and small.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reagan

You won't be disappointed with either. There are currently more options available on the aftermarket area for the 2007. I suppose it comes down to try and sit on both and decide which is more comfortable. I love the Gen II but not enough to get rid of my GenI. good luck

welcome.gif
to the Org. I had never riden a true sport bike before the Busa either, always old school hot rod standards. Those clip ons took a minute to get used to.
laugh.gif

I had never realized how uncomfortable that "comfortable upright riding position" was on bikes like KZs and ZRXs.
Never riden an 08 but I can sure tell you I love my 07.
Believe me, they can do better than $2000 under the 08 though, at that price you'd be
puke.gif
if you knew what I gave for mine. Do some "agressive negotiating" and you can save yourself a lot of coin over the 08.
As said though, either way, you won't be disapointed in the bike.
ThumbsUp.gif

Yes, you should be able to to better than 2K under (well, depends on what the price of the 08 is I suppose). Last December I bought my Red 07 for 8999 while the 08 was selling for sticker (11999), so even then I got 3k below. While the orange 08 is awesome (color, more power, etc), I opted for the 07 and saved the 3k for items like leathers, PitBull stand, and whatnot. It's a tough choice to make, but either one will put a smile on your face.
banana.gif

The Gen1 and Gen2 busas are different, but the lineage is unmistakeable.

Here's a link to an article I wrote a couple of months back for Rider's Review.

At this writing I have 60k miles on Gen1 'busas and nearly 17k on my Gen2.

I would most strongly recommend the Gen2; it's definitely an upgrade on what was, in my opinion, the most significant motorcycle in sport-bike history.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=77;t=93159;hl=

Scar

If money isn't an issue, I'd go for the '08. Both are great bikes, but I'd like having the upgrades. Good luck
thumb_up.gif

Both are great bikes, but I've only ridden a gen 1 Busa. The reviews from actual owners tells me that the 08 has a definate advantage over the gen 1. I got mine (07) for $8,015 OTD, if you get the 07 you will wonder what an 08 feels like to ride (darn you gen 2 Busa owners)
banghead.gif
laugh.gif
I'm very happy with my Busa but would love to ride the improved version of her!

I guess its up to you on what's important. If you're looking for stock performance I would go for the gen2. Performance wise in stock form $2,000 is not gonna bridge the gap in performance between the new and old busa. Remember you're comparing a 1999 bike against a 2008 year model. The after market support for the Gen2 will soon follow.

You guys here are awesome! I really appreciate input from guys that are actually riding these machines. To be honest, I stopped by the shop today with the little woman to have a second look at both bikes. On my previous visit there I had talked to one of the shop owners who knew everything about the Honda Goldwings they sell but very little about the Busa. Today I got to speak to one of the young sales guy, who rides a GSX-R 1000, and knew everything about these two machines. He even gave me his copy of "Motor Cyclist" from December 2007 which contains an article that compares the 2007 and 2008 head to head. I didn't mention what the price is on the bikes. The 2007 is $12,500 and the 2008 is $14,500 (both are all in - taxes, PDI, frieght, etc). The prices are in Canadian dollars, which are pretty close to par with the US dollar right now. I wouldn't say money was no object, but I can afford either one. It's not the deciding factor. After looking again today, I am leaning very hard (almost scraping my knee) in the direction of the 2008.
Thanks again to all,
Reagan

You guys here are awesome! I really appreciate input from guys that are actually riding these machines. To be honest, I stopped by the shop today with the little woman to have a second look at both bikes. On my previous visit there I had talked to one of the shop owners who knew everything about the Honda Goldwings they sell but very little about the Busa. Today I got to speak to one of the young sales guy, who rides a GSX-R 1000, and knew everything about these two machines. He even gave me his copy of "Motor Cyclist" from December 2007 which contains an article that compares the 2007 and 2008 head to head. I didn't mention what the price is on the bikes. The 2007 is $12,500 and the 2008 is $14,500 (both are all in - taxes, PDI, frieght, etc). The prices are in Canadian dollars, which are pretty close to par with the US dollar right now. I wouldn't say money was no object, but I can afford either one. It's not the deciding factor. After looking again today, I am leaning very hard (almost scraping my knee) in the direction of the 2008.
Thanks again to all,
Reagan
I remember that issue, they used the 07 blue (my year and color) and the 08 orange and black! they were pretty hard on the Gen 1, but my "outdated" Busa still turns me on everyday!!

Thanks again to all,
Reagan
I remember that issue, they used the 07 blue (my year and color) and the 08 orange and black! they were pretty hard on the Gen 1, but my "outdated" Busa still turns me on everyday!!
You're right, Pad. They were unnecessarily harsh on the Gen1. I was pissed.

It's like the Gen1 went from the be-all-end-all bike to all of a sudden taking a far back seat.

Yeah. I don't know what they were thinking, but it seems to me they didn't consider the 10's of thousands of Gen1 busa owners who might take offense to their comments.

Good luck.

Bought my 05 in 06 brand new for 9400 otd. I know a place that has a brand new 06 (red/black) at an asking price of 9000.

I have never been on the 08, so I will say "Welcome to the board!". I absolutely love my 05 and I think you could not go wrong either way.
beerchug.gif

get the 08 and never look back, unless you want to see the other bikes behind you!!!!

good luck and welcome

Back