Looking to buy a 01 or 02 Busa

wpg2rch

Donating Member
Registered
Hi everyone! I have decided to sell my current bike and move up to a Busa. I have been drooling over these bikes for years and am excited about making the switch. What helps is that I finally convinced my wife to let me get one.  
smile.gif

Due to the amount I have available to spend, I am looking at Busa's in the 2001-2002 model year range. I am wanting to buy a stock machine so I can avoid any problems and unknown surprises associated with not knowing how hard the bike was riden. Is there anything I should watch out for in particular with bikes of this age?...or would it be better to save longer and get a newer bike? (like a 03 or 04)

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, great forum! Am learning a lot and am hoping to becoming a permanent participant soon!

Thanks!
G.

Save a few more clams and get an '03 or '04.

And have fun!

--Wag--

There are still quite a few leftover new 06 bikes to be had. That is the only way you are going to be sure how the bike was treated and they will cost very little more than a good clean low mileage 03 or 04.

If I were you, I'd look at that's for sale. I know a LOT about that bike and can assure you it has been treated well ;)
beerchug.gif

post-52-02136-welcome.gif
newbie.gif
How much money you talking about. Just bought a new '06 for 10K, have seen a few '06's recently for less than 9K.

A new zero miles on odo bike is the only way you'll ever know, because these bikes are awesome.

At the same time they're very durable. If you get a used one make sure you have some sort of warranty. 2nd gear goes in a lot of bikes and IMHO it's because of abuse. The tranny repair is around 2K and north.

02 and up is the way to go, all the PCs are the same and there were very few changes.

(dadofthree @ Mar. 24 2007,00:03)
post-52-02136-welcome.gif

newbie.gif
How much money you talking about. Just bought a new '06 for 10K, have seen a few '06's recently for less than 9K.

A new zero miles on odo bike is the only way you'll ever know, because these bikes are awesome.

At the same time they're very durable. If you get a used one make sure you have some sort of warranty. 2nd gear goes in a lot of bikes and IMHO it's because of abuse. The tranny repair is around 2K and north.
Right now I am looking in the $7000 neighborhood. If I were to spend more, I would have to wait and save up. Which I guess isn't a huge deal, except that I worry about the wife changing her mind, and the fact that I would have to wait to get one.
Of course if waiting and saving more is the smart thing to do, I am willing to do that.

(MoosesBusa @ Mar. 23 2007,23:55) If I were you, I'd look at that's for sale. I know a LOT about that bike and can assure you it has been treated well ;)  
beerchug.gif
That is a beauty! Unfortunately out of my range at the moment. Thanks for trying though.  
tounge.gif

One other pain I need to contend with is since I live in Minnesota, there is really not much to choose from in the Busa department. I will most certainly have to drive quite a distance to buy one. Has this worked well for people, or do you normally buy close to home? How confident were you of driving out hundreds ( or more ) of miles to buy a bike you only saw in pictures and only spoke to someone on the phone with?
Makes me a bit nervous.

Thanks!
G.

I'm getting ready to buy a 02 Blue and Black BUSA with 2600 miles on it. Belonged to a middle aged guy who has a new hobby now. wanted $7000. I'm getting it for $6500. what do I look for that may be hidden damage?

(icehead @ Mar. 26 2007,16:21) I'm getting ready to buy a 02 Blue and Black BUSA with 2600 miles on it. Belonged to a middle aged guy who has a new hobby now. wanted $7000. I'm getting it for $6500. what do I look for that may be hidden damage?
If he is middle aged, he might not have done the service work himself. If not, ask for the service records or where he serviced the bike. They will have them ! Then look at the tires, they will tell alot. Burn outs, and so on. Look at the chain and check for wear. Look at the rear sets and see how much wear they have and if they are bent or look NEW compaired to the other metal around them. A quick sign of a change after a get off. Look at the bar ends for the same thing. Sit on the bike and see if the front wheel is aligned STRAIGHT . And other than that, just look it over to see if anything looks different than it should. AND ASK, has it ever been dropped ? And remember, IT might just be a really, really good buy  
beerchug.gif

thanks. I'm going to look one more time. you mentioned some stuff I may need to look at again. thanks

6500 is a really really good buy?

hell i'd sell mine for 5k (01 15k)

course mine has been crashed lol ... it was a 35 lowside by yours truly about 7,000 miles ago.

I'm assuming a problem would have surfaced by now if it were going to.

although i do seem to be in need of a new battery.. could that be hidden crash damage?

for 7k and a little shopping you should be able to get one that looks (and basically did) just roll off the showroom floor in my opinion

Back