Which GPS do you have?

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, in an effort to stream line things, I wanted to get folks to post up what type of GPS they have, what they use it for (strengths/weakness) and where. If you have a pic thats all the better but not completely necessary.

My idea here is that we can all post up our various setups, etc with the mounting we use, then move this thread over to the Electrical Mods or some place and sticky it. This will greatly help any newbies or oldies that are looking for the GPS stuff without having to navigate 1000s of posts to find the one GPS related one.
cool.gif

I'll start:

I use a Garmin Street Pilot III Deluxe. I got it off ebay for around $400ish and it works great.

PROS:Its a relatively small unit but it does all the basic GPS stuff (speed/alt./compass/lat&long) but it also does routing. It has an auto-route feature that has saved me a number of times. It uses Garmin memory sticks, so you can easily expand it, load various maps on it, etc. It also has a AA battery option or direct power, small but good installed antenna or you can run an external one. Its small enough to carry easily and not too heavy.

CONS: The screen is 16 color and not huge but readable. The AA battery life isnt the longest but will work for the better part of the day depending on how much you use it. Its 6AA's. It does take a little bit to get warmed up/locate the satelites but not horrible, maybe 3-4mins at the worst. And its is now WAAS enabled so the best it will do is like 5M accuracy or something like that, which really isnt bad.

I use it for road trips in the truck, use it on the bike in the tank bag map window and have used it hiking before.

Any ?s let me know
cool.gif

cool.gif

Garmin 2610 here.  It's mounted onto a RAM ball that's attached through the hole at the base of the steering column.  Power + audio is wired through the bike to rear, where it attaches to the battery and to a small audio mixer that mixes iPod audio and audio from the GPS unit into my headphones.

PROS: The 2610 holds all map memory on a CF card, so there's no moving parts (as opposed to some units which work off of a small disc drive), and startup is very fast.  Weather-resistant - I haven't had any problems in the rain + occasional hail.  Touch screen lets you pan maps by simply dragging them around. On screen buttons are large enough to adjust routing etc. when moving.  Pretty spot-on with routing and directions, as most Garmins are.  Quick to remove when parking the bike. Few buttons on the front of the unit for a clean appearance.  GPS antenna is enclosed within the unit. An absolute must on long trips. No more maps! When mounted correctly, it will not block your view of any of the Busa's gauges.

CONS: Wish it was a bit slimmer.  Screen could be a bit larger.  Power switch is too easy to turn off when reaching for the keys i.e. when stopped at a gas station (the unit never accidentally turns of when riding, however). No battery power whatsoever - the unit must be attached to either bike power or to an AC adapter to work.

I'd highly recommend this unit.

<!--EDIT|shortBoarder
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137001719 -->

I have a Garmin 276C,Huge color screen,firewire connectivity,downloadable map source.I use it alot,chargeable battery pack and comes with harness to hard wire.No complaints here.

pt_GPSMAP276CSmall.jpg

Garmin Legend.  So I don't get lost!!  
biggrin.gif
Update-sold the legend and waiting for StreetPilot III now.
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|flrider
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140704140 -->

I have a Garmin 276C,Huge color screen,firewire connectivity,downloadable map source.I use it alot,chargeable battery pack and comes with harness to hard wire.No complaints here.
NJ can you post up a pic of the GPS mounted on your bike?
stand by.
Standing by. Hey Im still standing by for the vid of the GTR!

<!--EDIT|Gunnybusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137014150 -->

Heres one, I used my sportbikecam mount,I have a ram handle bar mount coming.

GPS.JPG

+1 on the 276C

Pros Screen is bright in direct sunlight compared to the 2610/50 . It uses a 256 color TFT screen instead of 8 color LCD. Built in rechargeable battery. Fast, rerouting.

Cons Price unit and street kit ~$900. Memory is proprietary instead of cheaper cf cards. Currently limited to 256 meg but last week the site showed a 512 card. No price on it yet. I’m using a 128 with great results. Does not have XM Radio like the 376c that just came out.

Installed pictures in this thread

Had it a year now. I'd do it again... nope would be a 376c now that they are out.

gots me a cheapo $87 Radio Shack Garmin Geko 101. I use it for REAL speed readings on the busa, watching the paths I travel too often, and finding how far off my Cars speedos are: Civic reads about 4 mph too slow, Miata is dead on accurate. I bought it for SPEED, and MAX SPEED, but it has a bunch of other stuff too. It doesn't show ANY maps whatso ever and I never need it to. So it works perfect for me. I plan to go GEOCACHING soon http://www.geocaching.com/

Oh and my stock Polini pocket bikes hit about 37 top end
smile.gif

4a8ef5df03242b0a3095ecf661b96260.jpg

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137043452 -->

You can't go wrong with the Garmin 276C. Nice size screen, easy to mount, easy to use, holds tons of navigation data. Runs on 12vdc or its internal batteries.

Where do I use it? Bike(s), cars, truck, RV, rental vehicles, and boat (with its options depth gage that makes the 276C into a full marine depth sounder with marine GPS maps).

The 276C does it all... well almost. If you have the $$$, check out the Garmin 376C - it does everything the 276C does plus adds near-real-time NEXRAD Weather Radar overlays right on the GPS screen!

I use a Garmin E-Trex  $100.00  Accurate speedometer ---  records max speed -- alitude---
distance & average speed and more -- no map but you can backtrack with it if you get lost  
blush.gif
 I saw a reading on it a few years ago   176 mph ---- I was bummed because that mph "only" matched what an old  Kawa ZX1100 could do. On the bright side i never got out of 5th gear---  
wow.gif

BTW --- i just velcro it on the gas tank ---- 2 good AA's last all day.

<!--EDIT|PaceMaster
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137081354 -->

speeding_abit.JPG

I use the Garmin E-trex. I live in FL. so I'm not worried about getting lost. Travel east or west and eventually you'll run into an expressway
biggrin.gif

I primarily use it to gauge my top speed runs. I have it strapped down with tie-wrap onto the tree clamp. Simple, yet effective.

I have the Garmin 60CS. I have not used it with the bike yet as I don't have a mount. I've ordered a mount that should be here in a week. I will post pics once the mount comes.

I've been using it in my car and I love it. Two times I had false "max speed" readings. When I was doing about 40 MPH the Garmin "blipped" for a second or two and indicated I was doing 120 MPH. Another time it said I had been doing 166 MPH. Other than those two times it has been quite accurate.

<!--EDIT|EastCoast
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137082999 -->

pt_GPSMAP60CS01Large.jpg

Two times I had false "max speed" readings. When I was doing about 40 MPH the Garmin "blipped" for a second or two and indicated I was doing 120 MPH. Another time it said I had been doing 166 MPH. Other than those two times it has been quite accurate.
The number of active birds you are locked in will greatly reduce false numbers

Along those lines, here ya go!

gps_max.jpg

Nope, not photoshopped.... and I'd say pretty accurate!

Two times I had false "max speed" readings. When I was doing about 40 MPH the Garmin "blipped" for a second or two and indicated I was doing 120 MPH. Another time it said I had been doing 166 MPH. Other than those two times it has been quite accurate.
The number of active birds you are locked in will greatly reduce false numbers

Along those lines, here ya go!

gps_max.jpg

Nope, not photoshopped.... and I'd say pretty accurate!
And I thought mine was off
laugh.gif

Back