Motorcycle GPS - What do you have?

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
Looking for a GPS, but the latest Zumos from Garmin are getting terrible reviews. The newest 590 is plagued by restarts and won't starts. The 665 xm radio doesn't work well or at all by some reviews.

So I'll put it out to you guys what do you have that works?

I use a cheap garmin 1490 with techmount mount with Garmin power cord direct to battery.

You can get waterproof covers for $12. I usually just put a bag over it in heavy rain.

20140428_140345_1_.jpg

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/S5Y-Motorcycle-Bike-Waterproof-Case-Bag-Mount-Holder-For-Garmin-GPS-Navigator/605694533.html?albmt=broad&gclid=CjkKEQjw5qmdBRCn--70gPSo074BEiQAJCe7zWRoNVFWciv4ZFBWcS4o8cxnj-Y1oNmPx9Gqe1oMyVvw_wcB&creative=45157643641&albag=home_none_Search-Search-All-PLA-CA_1013999999987&albom=OTHERS_None_20130807_Aliexpress&albcp=Search_Search-ALL-PLA&isdl=y&ptsid=1013999999987&albst=search-text&albch=Google&src=Google&af=ppc&albkw=None_Shopping-Search-Product-AliExpress_none_none

BB

Old School Garmin Zumo 550. After 8 years it started acting goofy and Garmin replaced it with a refurb for free. 2 years with the repl and no problems. Lifetime map updates transferred to the "new" unit without any trouble.

With 5 bikes in the garage, it would have been very expensive to re-wire all of them if I changed to a different style or model GPS.

My only problem with that is rain...that and you can't use it with gloves
why do u need to use it with gloves? get a Sena. program ur destination before u leave and go. listen to commands thru helmet. if u wanted to mount it to see it jus buy a waterproof case from life proof.

And the battery would be dead in an hour or so with a waterproof case. I'm just looking for options at this point. I'm disappointed that the Garmin units are not what they used to be like LCBs 550.

why do u need to use it with gloves? get a Sena. program ur destination before u leave and go. listen to commands thru helmet. if u wanted to mount it to see it jus buy a waterproof case from life proof.

I use a Tom Tom 550XXL in a modified Mount Guys case mount. The case is advertised as water proof but if left in the rain for a few hours it will get moisture in it, however it has never gotten enough moisture inside to damage the GPS. The bottom has a port for the charge cable, I use a powerlet USB power port to power it.

It works well with gloves while inside the case. The only issue I have had with it is occasionally it will show the destination being 1-2 miles before the actual location.

DSC01049.jpg

I use a Tom Tom Rider had it over 3 years.
It's waterproof and hasn't given me any problems.
It's a bit chunky though.

Garmin 660 that has worked flawlessly for years and a bunch of miles in all kinds of weather...it doesn't have xm though if you wanted that...otherwise, it isn't as tall as the 550 and has a larger screen

If I could have my say... I use CoPilot app in my iPhone 4S. This is a really good app (provided properly set!). I tried TomTom, Garmin and Navigon apps and the CoPilot is the best for me (all european). In my Hayabusa I use Ultimate Addons rain proof cradle - checked in heavy rain. There is a charging kit which I have connected to ignition +. (There is a switch in the kit but I just didn't want to remember to swith the kit off every time I finish riding - it could drain your battery). I am sure you could find CoPilot version and a waterproof cradle for any smartphone. While using iPhone as satnav I can listen to music, receive voice instructions and receive phone calls as well (through headphones; you can hear the instructions without them though at lower speeds). To receive calls without touching the screen (which I find more safe) I use CallController app (auto answer). If you want operate the screen you could consider Farkle Fingers from this site Farkle Fingers (E-01-01) - $19.99 or try to find special gloves. Using a smartphone as satnav lets me reduce amount of gadgets and I have mobile phone always with me anyway so no problem with forgetting, dropping, keeping eye on it etc.

Hayabusa CoPilot 0011.jpg

Hayabusa CoPilot 0012.jpg

Hayabusa CoPilot 0013.jpg

What is the one you let me borrow? I still have it at my house, which reminds me I need to return it :)

Back