GPS Speedometer

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
I've been looking for a gps unit that will display the speedometer full screen for a couple years now with no luck.
The small speedo displays in the corner of the map are too hard for me to see at a glance, as well as pick it out from the map. I also don't need the gps map either. I have a speedohealer too, but I want something capable of reading past the 186, and gps accuracy. Today I found the cheap solution! A used Motorolla Droid!
My friend gave me his 1st generation verizon droid, as he got a new smartphone.
Much to my suprise the gps speedometer still works even without the sim card and cell service on the phone(gps maps do not)! It also saves the highest speed like most gps speedo's do.
I have the holder and suction cup mount, but I'm going to buy a permanent bar mount for that.
I looked at the old used droids on ebay and they're availble used for as low as $24! As long as you can find one with the speedometer ap(my friend's came with it new), or can have it added it's a cheap way for an accurate digital speedo on your bike. The digital numbers are as large as bike's with factory digital speedo's.
This is good for anyone without a smartphone, or who doesn't want the risk or hassle of taking their phone on and off their bike.
Just an FYI I thought I'de pass along, as I searched in vein for years for an answer until today.:thumbsup:

I have two Garmin Nuvi's, the auto one has a full screen speedo, its a 1340. I use an Autocom compatible Nuvi now with smaller speedo. I definitely like the display type speedo's better than the dial display. I'll check out the App on my new iPhone. Thanks for the info.

Man, you have been looking for years, why didnt you ask the org. I have had GPS Speedo on my Droid for a year now. It works great. Get Google Latitude for your riding buddies and also look up CRADAR. I use my droid for navigation, music, apps, etc.

if anybody wants to buy a 1st gen droid i have one that was replaced and used for 1 day before i upgraded phones, its the phone and the usb cable.. id sell mine for $45 shipped.. i forgot it had it till i saw this thread haha

I am not riding anywhere where I can test the accuracy above 186 :poke: :laugh: Good looking out on your part thanks for the info :rofl:

My Nuvi 550 shows a large speed reading on the stats page - Also, if you clear your max before a high speed run, then you can see what you did.

This is a free ap on the Droid. I've been using it for the last year. Mainly helps on the freeway since the speedo is way off on the '08.

Man, you have been looking for years, why didnt you ask the org. I have had GPS Speedo on my Droid for a year now. It works great. Get Google Latitude for your riding buddies and also look up CRADAR. I use my droid for navigation, music, apps, etc.

I did ask the org:poke:
I made a post a couple of years ago asking if anyone knew of a gps unit that would display the speedo full screen.
No one knew, and none of the info on countless units I looked at said if they had that capability.
Oh well, I got a freebie that works for me and I don't need maps anyway.

I've been looking for a gps unit that will display the speedometer full screen for a couple years now with no luck.
The small speedo displays in the corner of the map are too hard for me to see at a glance, as well as pick it out from the map. I also don't need the gps map either. I have a speedohealer too, but I want something capable of reading past the 186, and gps accuracy. Today I found the cheap solution! A used Motorolla Droid!
My friend gave me his 1st generation verizon droid, as he got a new smartphone.
Much to my suprise the gps speedometer still works even without the sim card and cell service on the phone(gps maps do not)! It also saves the highest speed like most gps speedo's do.
I have the holder and suction cup mount, but I'm going to buy a permanent bar mount for that.
I looked at the old used droids on ebay and they're availble used for as low as $24! As long as you can find one with the speedometer ap(my friend's came with it new), or can have it added it's a cheap way for an accurate digital speedo on your bike. The digital numbers are as large as bike's with factory digital speedo's.
This is good for anyone without a smartphone, or who doesn't want the risk or hassle of taking their phone on and off their bike.
Just an FYI I thought I'de pass along, as I searched in vein for years for an answer until today.:thumbsup:

Hi, I have a gps navigator with full screen digital speedo it's available on a few models called navig8r my model is g35 and there is one for sale new unopened on a site called gumtree. Like you I use it for the large speedo it also fades turns over it when navigating... and free map updates Cheers Obe

Back