Where are the Custom Busas?

Just to go along with my last post, here's an example of info getting buried.

Your Ohlins Install thread is currently sitting on page 220 in the 'General Bike related Topics' subforum. The chances of someone stumbling across it by accident are nearly zero. If a member searches "Ohlins", your thread is the 176th search result (page 8). Again, still buried. And if a member knows he can search 'titles only' and figures out how to do it, your thread still doesn't even turn up on the first page of results.

There's probably tons of good stuff buried around here. It wouldn't take much work to move some things around to create visibility.

And these aren't any one person's fault. These are just some of the inherent drawbacks to forum formatting. But steps can be taken to have efficient archiving even with forum formatting.

Just to go along with my last post, here's an example of info getting buried.

Your Ohlins Install thread is currently sitting on page 220 in the 'General Bike related Topics' subforum. The chances of someone stumbling across it by accident are nearly zero. If a member searches "Ohlins", your thread is the 176th search result (page 8). Again, still buried. And if a member knows he can search 'titles only' and figures out how to do it, your thread still doesn't even turn up on the first page of results.

There's probably tons of good stuff buried around here. It wouldn't take much work to move some things around to create visibility.

And these aren't any one person's fault. These are just some of the inherent drawbacks to forum formatting. But steps can be taken to have efficient archiving even with forum formatting.

If you feel so strongly there is something you can do about it without needing any one else to help or give you permission. Create an index thread that is like a table of contents for mods and put links in it. I'm sure Vabs will pin it or post it on the home page. Then if someone has an issue like suspension upgrades you can go to that section and then click on a link. Problem solved. There are a lot of us on here who have been here for years and have contributed a lot of experience to the site. We kind of know what's here and generally where to find it in most cases. This will not only be a good service to busa people visiting the site but it's a great way for you to get to know what is really buried here on the site.

I challenge you to pull this together.

If you feel so strongly there is something you can do about it without needing any one else to help or give you permission. Create an index thread that is like a table of contents for mods and put links in it. I'm sure Vabs will pin it or post it on the home page. Then if someone has an issue like suspension upgrades you can go to that section and then click on a link. Problem solved. There are a lot of us on here who have been here for years and have contributed a lot of experience to the site. We kind of know what's here and generally where to find it in most cases. This will not only be a good service to busa people visiting the site but it's a great way for you to get to know what is really buried here on the site.

I challenge you to pull this together.
I know you guys who have been here for years can find things much easier. Same thing with me and my automotive forum that I've been on for 12 years. I know specifically what to look for because I somewhat remember seeing it 5 or 7 years ago, etc... But that's no good for the newbies and no good for site growth. If a forum board doesn't cater to growth and change, it will eventually dwindle to only a handful of diehard users. I've seen it far too many times.

As far as executing these ideas; The website's admin would have to set up the actual index. That's not something I can do. And the site's Moderators would have to move topics to those new sections, because the general membership doesn't have the permissions to do so. I appreciate the challenge, but I'm a newbie. I'm decently "forum smart", but I don't know Hayabusa tech stuff and I don't know about the threads from years ago that need to be "found". This is why I previously mentioned it being a great job for the site's veterans. Even if you aren't a Moderator, you can report a thread to be moved. I don't mind helping where I'm able, but this would by no means be a single man project. And at this point, I don't know if anyone even cares about these things I'm suggesting...

^^^ Much appreciated. That's the stuff I like to see!

Maybe we should ad a tab at the top of the page right between 'forum' and 'whats new' and call it "Resources". It would be a good place to compile such how-to's so that they are easily discoverable and aren't lost amongst pages and pages of general forum discussion. The resources tab could also include: Frequently Answered Questions, a general maintenance guide, upgrade paths, product reviews, and a guide to racing your Hayabusa.

Forum boards are great for discussion. But they aren't great for efficient archiving. With some structure and grouping, it can help us members find good information quicker and easier. And hopefully increase foot traffic and generate more new memberships of the Org. Then maybe when the average Joe searches "how to xxxxxx on a Hayabusa", maybe we will pop up as the #1 search result with the best answer to his question, rather than Youtube...

Just make a post, and use the linkback feature of each post to copy the thread URL. You can do it. When you're done, PM VaBusa and she'll make it a sticky.

Don't need a moderator to do it.

I'm obviously thinking on a much larger scale than a single stickied thread...

We can make a new forum for custom Busas, if that's what you're looking for...just need to have content going in there.

If that's what the gang here wants, by all means, I'll make it and we can start moving threads in there with custom Busas/work, create new threads there with custom info.

Whatever it is you are thinking, let us know, we're here to try to help.

I'm obviously thinking on a much larger scale than a single stickied thread...

A larger scale than necessary. There is no need to do the massive restructuring you are calling for when a simple TOC will do the trick. Only thing the mods would need to do is make the editing feature indefinite rather than timing out like it does on normal posts. Maybe you a several other could maintain it.

People will either want to see change for the better, or the will want to resist.
Please disregaurd my susgestions. Sorry for wasting anyone's time.

Some people welcome change when someone else does the work. If you put up some effort and did a TOC it would serve the same purpose as what you are asking for. "I've got a whopping 67 posts and you all need to completely restructure things to suits my needs?"

OK. Well I will assume you meant well and it was a good idea if there were the resources to do it. But I'm sure none of the moderators have time for the effort it would take to accomplish you suggestions. So the next best thing would be a TOC as that can be accomplished quickly, make the site better, and not create a massive effort for anyone.

Some people welcome change when someone else does the work.
"The work" is mostly already done. The majority of the work is the tech write-up and product reviews that members have already written. I'm only suggesting we compile them somewhere other than in the general forum board so that they are easily discoverable.

"I've got a whopping 67 posts and you all need to completely restructure things to suits my needs?"
If you read my posts, you see I'm interested in doing this for the benefit of the ORG, not myself. I've already put in staff time for a forum. I've spent years helping one grow and thrive. If my advice isn't needed here, then I'll keep it to myself. No sweat off my back. Attacking ideas isn't how to gain help. And no, a single stickied thread is not at all what I'm suggesting.

Well I will assume you meant well
Ohh thanks. I'm not sure why you would assume otherwise.

But I'm sure none of the moderators have time for the effort it would take to accomplish you suggestions.
I cannot speak on that. I have no idea who is a Moderator here, how many there are in total, or how much time they put into the website.
But these things I was suggesting did work on my other forums. They were very successful. There was more time and effort invested into the planning than the execution. I speak from experience.

So the next best thing would be a TOC as that can be accomplished quickly, make the site better, and not create a massive effort for anyone.
You're welcome to do that. That's not at all what I've suggested anywhere here.

Not to be rude, but how many forum boards have you ran? How many have failed and how many have gone to be the largest of it's genre on the web?
Think bigger or stand aside for bigger thoughts to come through. I look around and see alot of potential. I also see poeple that feel threatened by new ideas. Seems irrational to me though.

There's a forum section for org questions, suggestions, etc. We suggested ways YOU could make it better, and you chose to pass it on to someone else.

Please share the names of the forums you've "ran" so I can get a glimpse of your past epicness while I stand aside.

Please share the names of the forums you've "ran" so I can get a glimpse of your past epicness while I stand aside.
I don't mind sharing in a productive manner. You seem to be interested in stirring the pot and resisting positive change. I'd rather not waste my time with any of that.

I don't mind sharing in a productive manner. You seem to be interested in stirring the pot and resisting positive change. I'd rather not waste my time with any of that.

I'm not interested in stirring the pot. I'd like to see how these other forums work with actual fellowship. If we have parts of the forum that only show how to do this or what's the best that, people (much like yourself which is why Fallen commented on your post count) will show up here, make a membership and never see the ACTUAL reason why the ORG has been here 15 years or so, and why all of us are still here even though many of us don't even have Busas anymore. It's the people here that make the org. The info here is a byproduct of the wonderful crowd here. Inter-member fighting is going to happen, we're all siblings here.

So to put it simple, what makes the org different, and IMHO better is the people, not the info. The info is a bonus.

If you want to see the reason why this forum still stands in leau of Facebook, etc come to a Meet and Greet and see the real reason we're all here. :beerchug:

I'm not interested in stirring the pot. I'd like to see how these other forums work with actual fellowship. If we have parts of the forum that only show how to do this or what's the best that, people (much like yourself which is why Fallen commented on your post count) will show up here, make a membership and never see the ACTUAL reason why the ORG has been here 15 years or so, and why all of us are still here even though many of us don't even have Busas anymore. It's the people here that make the org. The info here is a byproduct of the wonderful crowd here. Inter-member fighting is going to happen, we're all siblings here.

So to put it simple, what makes the org different, and IMHO better is the people, not the info. The info is a bonus.

If you want to see the reason why this forum still stands in leau of Facebook, etc come to a Meet and Greet and see the real reason we're all here. :beerchug:
I like that there's a good enough crowd here for people to want to stay for a while.

The info may be only a bonus to you, but the average non-member is probably going to stumble in here from a Google search. They'll discover the site for it's usefulness for general questions and tech, and (hopefully) stick around for the atmosphere and the people and the continuing usefulness as a resource. I feel it's important to maintain and build the tech resources to attract traffic and ratain them. The tech stuff doesn't have to be anyone's primary reason for staying, but I personally feel it is the primary reason for stepping foot in the door for the first time. And reducing redundant questions helps the veterans and regulars maintain their sanity. It really is a win/win for everyone.

Check out DSMtuners.com. It's a Diamond Star Motors automotive forum, specializing in a platform that's been discontinued for 17 years now, yet we still average 50-70 new members per day. Hover over the Resources tab at the top of the page and then click on "DSM Tech Articles/How-to Guides". Then check out the Upgrade Paths, and the Frequently Asked Questions links.

I can't think of a reason why we wouldn't want to implement something like that here...

Beyond that, we also merge similar threads together. We have one long "Which oil should I use" thread instead of 200 smaller threads like most forum boards have. The clutter reduction is very pleasant and very helpful when searching. We commonly merge threads for many redundant topics, not just "oil" topics.

I'll keep an eye on the traffic there. As of right now, the org has 1/3 as many members yet we have 4 times the amount of members online currently. If that shows you anything.

Also, you'll learn real soon, that NOTHING can keep the sanity of the veterans here, as we're all a little :cookoo:

OK that's better. Now I'm interested (being honest). I think Vabs was going to revamp the site to coincide with the Gen III release (not being honest).

Back