Where are the Custom Busas?

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I was out riding recently and I stopped at a local hangout. There were some crazy custom Busas out there. Some of these bikes probably cost $40K or more. Of course none of that money went to making the bike faster or better handling but it was still genius. I was surprised at the quality of some of the builds. Most of these guys didn't even know about Hayabusa.org. Let's face it after pipes, suspension, wheels, brakes and maybe a turbo there isn't much to do with a Busa. It seems like the org is getting to the point where there is less and less to talk about. Maybe that's why the fights are getting more common, we're just getting bored talking about the same bike upgrades.

So I talked to some of these guys and we talked about how we can use the skills they have developed in the crazy custom world to make some more mainstream upgrade products. A couple of them were interested. But no doubt that's a different world (the only naked girl that has been near my Busa walked on all 4's and wanted a begging strip). I'm working on some ideas right now that may open some new upgrade paths for Busa lovers. Of course my focus is performance and extreme sport touring.

Not sure what the point of this post is but I guess it's a call for all of us to get a little more ambitious and get in the garage instead of buying a Concourse :whistle:!
(see what I did there?)

I've had an idea for a long time but don't have facilities or the know how to accomplish it. I'll share it here, I k ow there are some here that could pull it off.
As far as the extreme touring part goes I'd like to see a refrigerated hard bag. I know there are 12v coolers out there and I don't know if it would be too hard to move the cooling unit over to a hard bag or use a couple peltier converters (I think that's how it's spelled, car manufacturers use them to chill consoles and glove boxes). It would definitely make the estimate stops more enjoyable and for people like me who like to camp it would make perishable food storage so much easier. Any of you inventors out there patent this idea, just remember where it came from.

Here's my custom Busa.... :whistle:

attachment.php?attachmentid=282075&stc=1.jpg

IMG_7547.jpg

Most of the guys with the custom Busas don't ride them much. I was coming back from a Busa Bash years ago and stopped at a rest area in NC, ran across maybe 6-7 custom Busas there. I talked to the guys briefly, still on my "Busa Bash high" and wanting to make sure they knew about it and the oRg. Once they'd heard where it was, they all agreed that was too far away for them to ride. Kind of funny given how far we ride, right Willie, and here they are, living in the same state as the meet and greet. :lol:

I get it though - stretched Busas, tons more money in custom paint, chrome, tricked out custom pieces that cost more than anything I have in I have in cars. Crashing that costs, so I think they mostly do the work for bike shows and less to ride. They run completely different circles than we do. Most of those bikes are hauled in trailers and rarely get miles on them...no judgment on my part, just a different hobby, one I know I can't afford :laugh:

Trailer queen bikes don't qualify in my book as a custom bike. You need to be able to ride the damn thing.

It seems like the org is getting to the point where there is less and less to talk about. Maybe that's why the fights are getting more common, we're just getting bored talking about the same bike upgrades.
There's lot more that can be done around here.

It would be cool if a few experienced members put together some "upgrade paths". Something for the newbies to see the recommended order of upgrades for a given desired end result, what to expect from such upgrades, and which aftermarket parts are available. This could help reduce the amount of redundant threads.

It would also be nice to have tech threads that discussed products and updrages. Something like a centralized and trusted source for that topic. Something preemptive for the newbies to learn from so that they don't need to start 10 threads about something that has already been discussed 300 times already.

I figured there are many knowledgeable vetrans here that can pick a topic and write a tech "how to" with their time rather than engaging in fights out of boredom. Image-rich how-to's are invaluable. And it's something that will surely help grow the Org and bring it google traffic.

There's lot more that can be done around here.

It would be cool if a few experienced members put together some "upgrade paths". Something for the newbies to see the recommended order of upgrades for a given desired end result, what to expect from such upgrades, and which aftermarket parts are available. This could help reduce the amount of redundant threads.

It would also be nice to have tech threads that discussed products and updrages. Something like a centralized and trusted source for that topic. Something preemptive for the newbies to learn from so that they don't need to start 10 threads about something that has already been discussed 300 times already.

I figured there are many knowledgeable vetrans here that can pick a topic and write a tech "how to" with their time rather than engaging in fights out of boredom. Image-rich how-to's are invaluable. And it's something that will surely help grow the Org and bring it google traffic.

Most of those threads are here if ya look for them. I'm pretty sure that there isn't much that can be done to one of these bikes that hasn't been tried by someone here and they talk about it.

Most of those threads are here if ya look for them. I'm pretty sure that there isn't much that can be done to one of these bikes that hasn't been tried by someone here and they talk about it.
Sure. The problem is there's 187 threads here and there on whichever topic. It takes hours to dig through them all to see if there's good info there or not. And most will be full of replies that say "Another one of these threads again! Try searching!". Not too useful of a find for the guys who are searching. It would be more helpful to have all of those threads merged together and then the junk posts pruned. Or it would be helpful to have people post a link to 'the other thread' instead of telling someone to go search...

Most things here aren't centralized. What if I'm considering an extended swing arm? I might have questions like: Which companies offer one for my needs? Which are known as the best or most recommended? Do I want aluminum or steel, and why? What's a good recommended length for what I do with my bike? Do I need/want underbracing and why? Why is it not beneficial to have an extended swing arm for a road course? Why NOT have one informational tech thread that covers all of this? And why not put it somewhere so that it dosn't get buried in the pit of all other threads?

I feel it would be nice to have one single informational thread that discusses all aspects of a particular topic. Because it's easy to become discouraged when you spend an hour or more searching and only come across junk threads on a subject. Just because they're there, doesn't mean they're useful...

Sure. The problem is there's 187 threads here and there on whichever topic. It takes hours to dig through them all to see if there's good info there or not. And most will be full of replies that say "Another one of these threads again! Try searching!". Not too useful of a find for the guys who are searching. It would be more helpful to have all of those threads merged together and then the junk posts pruned. Or it would be helpful to have people post a link to 'the other thread' instead of telling someone to go search...

Most things here aren't centralized. What if I'm considering an extended swing arm? I might have questions like: Which companies offer one for my needs? Which are known as the best or most recommended? Do I want aluminum or steel, and why? What's a good recommended length for what I do with my bike? Do I need/want underbracing and why? Why is it not beneficial to have an extended swing arm for a road course? Why NOT have one informational tech thread that covers all of this? And why not put it somewhere so that it dosn't get buried in the pit of all other threads?

I feel it would be nice to have one single informational thread that discusses all aspects of a particular topic. Because it's easy to become discouraged when you spend an hour or more searching and only come across junk threads on a subject. Just because they're there, doesn't mean they're useful...

I can understand a bit of your frustration but this is a free site with a wealth of knowledge. Those two facts are worth my time if I need something. I've been here 11 years thru three Busas and have never failed to have my questions answered.

I can understand a bit of your frustration but this is a free site with a wealth of knowledge. Those two facts are worth my time if I need something. I've been here 11 years thru three Busas and have never failed to have my questions answered.

^ This.

There is not one other Busa site on the web with this kind of knowledge or variety of builds (sport touring/drag racing/land speed/ice cream social) especially where each type of rider is welcomed the same...

Sure, the website works. But I feel it could work better. I see room for improvement. And I see no reason why members can't work toward improvement if they are so bored, they're resorting to fighting amongst each other...

I'm not complaining or knocking anybody. I've been a member on a certain automotive forum for the past 12 years, and a staff member for 10 of those years. We've implemented alot of things on the site over the years that has really grown it's value to being so much more than a typical web forum board. I'm just here making some suggestions to try some of those same things here because I feel they could really help.

Sure, the website works. But I feel it could work better. I see room for improvement. And I see no reason why members can't work toward improvement if they are so bored, they're resorting to fighting amongst each other...

I'm not complaining or knocking anybody. I've been a member on a certain automotive forum for the past 12 years, and a staff member for 10 of those years. We've implemented alot of things on the site over the years that has really grown it's value to being so much more than a typical web forum board. I'm just here making some suggestions to try some of those same things here because I feel they could really help.

Did my part on several occasions.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/content/70-fallenarch-has-gotten-up.html
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/electrical-mods/182163-sena-20s.html
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/165108-ohlins-install-pics.html

^^^ Much appreciated. That's the stuff I like to see!

Maybe we should ad a tab at the top of the page right between 'forum' and 'whats new' and call it "Resources". It would be a good place to compile such how-to's so that they are easily discoverable and aren't lost amongst pages and pages of general forum discussion. The resources tab could also include: Frequently Answered Questions, a general maintenance guide, upgrade paths, product reviews, and a guide to racing your Hayabusa.

Forum boards are great for discussion. But they aren't great for efficient archiving. With some structure and grouping, it can help us members find good information quicker and easier. And hopefully increase foot traffic and generate more new memberships of the Org. Then maybe when the average Joe searches "how to xxxxxx on a Hayabusa", maybe we will pop up as the #1 search result with the best answer to his question, rather than Youtube...

Back