When storing bike for winter?

Speed King

Banned
I just changed my oil and have maybe two more months of riding before I have to store it away for the winter.

My question is, do I have to change my oil again before I store it? Or will it be okay with the used oil in it over the winter?

Thanks.

It will be okay, Just fill the tank with gas.

Your oil system is a closed system, so the oil with be OK !! Just put some stabilizer in the gas and top off the tank, rags in the exhaust outlets (keeps moisture out and do this after you return from filling the gas tank) and if possible put the bike on stands. That's it :thumbsup:

all i ever do is top the tank off with fuel stabilizer, make sure the oil has been changed recently within the last 1000 miles or so, and put the battery tender on it. Come spring, or a random decently nice day, she fires up no problem every time

Suggestions on particular fuel stabilizer?? and also, what about a battery tender vs. just pulling the battery out?? How often should you start her up during gthe winter months?

Suggestions on particular fuel stabilizer?? and also, what about a battery tender vs. just pulling the battery out?? How often should you start her up during gthe winter months?

The battery tender is a much better idea. Cold and non-use will still drain the battery rather quickly. If you keep the tender on it you won't have to worry about that. It'll keep the battery in good condition and fully charged. If you're not going to ride it, then starting it isn't going do a whole lot. If you feel compelled to run it without riding it, make sure it gets to normal operating temperature, and stays there for several minutes. Otherwise you'll just be gumming up the engine.

The battery tender is a much better idea. Cold and non-use will still drain the battery rather quickly. If you keep the tender on it you won't have to worry about that. It'll keep the battery in good condition and fully charged. If you're not going to ride it, then starting it isn't going do a whole lot. If you feel compelled to run it without riding it, make sure it gets to normal operating temperature, and stays there for several minutes. Otherwise you'll just be gumming up the engine.

Great Thx. This will be my first year storing her over winter. What about the fuel additive? Any preference?
Posted via Mobile Device

Great Thx. This will be my first year storing her over winter. What about the fuel additive? Any preference?
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't have an opinion on that cause I've never used any. I ride year round, so no need for fuel stabilizer, but I'm sure there will be some suggestions before too long. But even though I ride year round I still use a battery tender when I know I'm not gonna be riding for several days. The battery is currently 3 years old and still going strong.

I am happy to say that for winter the only prep I do is get the winter riding gear out of the closet.

Yeah... I only have a couple months left in this riding season as well :banghead: I've never changed my oil before storing it for the winter... I always get fresh oil for the girl in the spring however. Do you get to store yours in a heated garage/basement? I keep mine in the basement during hibernation season, and I've been told that that makes a difference? I don't know but, I've never had a problem since I've been doing that.

Yeah... I only have a couple months left in this riding season as well :banghead: I've never changed my oil before storing it for the winter... I always get fresh oil for the girl in the spring however. Do you get to store yours in a heated garage/basement? I keep mine in the basement during hibernation season, and I've been told that that makes a difference? I don't know but, I've never had a problem since I've been doing that.

I keep mine in the house:thumbsup:

Back