When people fall

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
If you ride a Busa, what do you think about folks who just fall while walking and then need medical attention?

Probably need my butt kicked, for lack of empathy. If I at this age get hurt from a simple fall, perhaps it is time to retire 6' below the ground.

Just had a guy fall off the dock at the warehouse next to mine. Ambulances, Fire Department, Police, that from a 4' fall?

Then at the office, somone tripped on the strip where the carpet starts, needed to go home to recover after going to the doctor.

Last bad fall I had was at 142mph on a track, needed a boot on my foot for a week or so, but the next day was on a plane to Mexico for business and walked an entire factory. On my dirt bike, I fall about 4 times every ride, never got hurt so far, a few bruises are a perfect reward, nothing to worry about.

Are people 20 years younger than me just fragile, out of shape, or both. Or, perhaps am I being judgemental?

Yes you’re being judgmental as hell. Some people don’t know how to take a fall, have never had any martial arts training, are clumsy, aren’t expecting a fall (like falling 4’ off a loading dock) was maybe off balance when they fell, carrying too much or carrying an off balanced load, or, are simply too soft to suit you. I’d prolly agree though that the ‘softening’ of America’ has certainly taken place.

I guess it all depends on the circumstances of the fall....

If someone falls from a 4 foot loading dock, that can be tough especially if they hit their head.

I'd say the younger crowd are softer these days but a fall is a fall.

A simple fall can really end bad depending on how you fall, it's easy to break a leg, arm or wrist or even worst hit your head and end up in a hospital just from tripping. A buddy of mine broke his leg after slipping on ice, another guy was air lifted because he tripped going up the stairs and hit his head. Don't underestimate the seriousness a fall and remember when the average citizen takes a fall they're not wearing a helmet, full leathers and impact pads to protect their back, shoulders, elbows or knees.

If you ride a Busa, what do you think about folks who just fall while walking and then need medical attention?

Probably need my butt kicked, for lack of empathy. If I at this age get hurt from a simple fall, perhaps it is time to retire 6' below the ground.

Just had a guy fall off the dock at the warehouse next to mine. Ambulances, Fire Department, Police, that from a 4' fall?

Then at the office, somone tripped on the strip where the carpet starts, needed to go home to recover after going to the doctor.

Last bad fall I had was at 142mph on a track, needed a boot on my foot for a week or so, but the next day was on a plane to Mexico for business and walked an entire factory. On my dirt bike, I fall about 4 times every ride, never got hurt so far, a few bruises are a perfect reward, nothing to worry about.

Are people 20 years younger than me just fragile, out of shape, or both. Or, perhaps am I being judgemental?
I worked as an ER Nurse for a year. I've seen people with their leg bones jutting out past their feet after falling off the toilet. (Yes, the porcelain throne.) It's a matter of torque, surface, and angle when falling. I've biffed a 20' jump on a dirtbike and walked away. Fell off a BMX bike as a kid on a city street and had a compound fracture of my arm.

The fact that you've avoided injury is great. I wouldn't label people because of it. Any one of us are one wrong mishap away from a stay at the medical Hilton.

Yes you’re being judgmental as hell. Some people don’t know how to take a fall, have never had any martial arts training, are clumsy, aren’t expecting a fall (like falling 4’ off a loading dock) was maybe off balance when they fell, carrying too much or carrying an off balanced load, or, are simply too soft to suit you. I’d prolly agree though that the ‘softening’ of America’ has certainly taken place.
Yep, I am probably judgemental. I grew up where we played Rugby, no helmets and no shoulder pads. Need to get with the program, I guess.

Yep, I am probably judgemental. I grew up where we played Rugby, no helmets and no shoulder pads. Need to get with the program, I guess.
Being in good shape playing rugby and anticipating what was coming probably helped....

Falling unexpectantly off a loading dock is an entirely different thing in my opinion....

I've had more than a few hard knocks on my body over the years and somehow always bounced back up and get back into it.

I'd imagine that if I fell unexpectantly now, it would hurt although I did fall on the ice not long ago but got back up without missing a beat. The only thing my wife said was "no brain, no pain"

Street bike crashes, 3.

1st was at 18 years old, head on with a car who was overtaking a truck, hit me at 60mph. Flew over the handlebars, slid over the hood, windshield, roof and hit the pavement. Was lucky, walked away dazed, bike totaled.

2nd was around 22 years old, too hot in a corner, hit the curb. Did not get hurt, bike got repaired.

3rd Was on the track, Shenandoah WV, at the end of the straight, just before braking, two guys touched and went down right in front of me. Could not get around them, went down at 142mph. Torn ligaments in my foot, repaired bike and sold it.

Close call on the Blue Ridge Parkway, 2up on a Harley, hit a deer with the engine case, but did not go down. Left rear indicator light was torn off and a dead deer.

Dirt Bike, I have stopped counting.

Busa, lucky, no incidents.

Probably. I too look around and say "you weak bastards, do some exercise" The last GF was a hairdresser and was convinced that shuffling back and forward in her salon all day was good exercise, then she fractured her lower leg when she got up off the couch and caught her foot in her long dress.

I tend not to judge people at the moment though. My leg is a bit dicky from some lower back complication and I can't even ride at the moment. Oh I can walk fine, and do all manner of stuff, but sitting in the riding position for more than 10 minutes makes it weak as a kitten. It's hard to be judgemental when you're suddenly not the Adonis you thought you were.

Me, before my leg was playing up

ROMAN ADONIS.jpg

Recent photo of me

dog-with-broken-leg.png

You've just been fortunate, lots of people in the best physical condition get hurt on the playing field be it Rugby, football or soccer.

Back