Another silly bike stand question

joncook06

Registered
Ok, you guys have told me why i need stands, so i just ordered them. Not to bring up bad memories but i have heard a few people say their bike has fallen over on stands while unattended in the garage. Why and how does this happen? Does the stand fall sideways or slip out from under? I'm not trying to sound like a smarta** i just dont want my next post to be about my bike falling over.

I have never heard of anyone having a "lifted" bike tip-over Brother......i.e. bike's tail is in the air on a rear stand. I have heard of people putting their Busa on front, "and" rear stands, and then taking the rear down, and forgetting that they did, while they're removing the "front" stand...... then it's "T-I-M-B-E-R"......."then it's "OH CRAP"....

Now, once the Spud had the rear in the air, forgot I had lifted the side stand, and removed the rear stand :whistle:....once again "T-I-M-B-E-R" in S-L-O-W M-O-T-I-O-N...but I had the Vortex's installed and it was all good !!!! Not a scrape...... I didn't install sliders for a low-side...I installed them because The Spud forgets sometimes.... :oldcool:

I've used both front & rears stands for years and I've never had the bike fall off. If you've got all the bolts tight on the stands themselves--I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

I've used both front & rears stands for years and I've never had the bike fall off. If you've got all the bolts tight on the stands themselves--I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

Same here. Putting it on and taking off the stands is where you want to be careful.

never use the front by itself.

Make sure the lift arms on the rear are tight and use red thread lock. (once you get it set to your bike)

never use the front by itself.

Make sure the lift arms on the rear are tight and use red thread lock. (once you get it set to your bike)
+1 the rear should always be the first up and the last down... front does not work alone EVER... (well unless you want to post one of these stories) :)

Don't do it by yourself
I have never had any help.. learning to balance the bike by the grab rail takes a little practice but is not bad..

Start by putting a 2X4 under the kickstand (gets the bike upright) and then slide the rear stand under the spool.. Now slowly and carefully bring the bike upright with your free hand and at the same time get the other spool on top of the stand (this is your stability).. do not fiddle around, get them set and get the bike off the ground..

I've never heard of this happening to anyone that has used there stand properly.

I've heard of bikes falling while on the side stand. Again that comes down to proper use as well.

I did have a cheapie LP swing arm stand that bent and almost caused my bike to fall over while lifting it onto the stand. I tossed that piece of crap in the garbage.

I got a trex front that i have had for a while which i love. I still have that old skinny yellow zuk stand for the rear. I just ordered a trex for the back. should be here in a few days. ive used that yellow skinny one since i bought the bike. never did like it. to wobbly. always made me nervous. new stand on the way.

Use the spools and you should be fine! I dropped mine once since the rear brake caliper is mounted underneath the swingarm. The stand I was using also had the pads used to lift swingarms and the pad got caught on the caliper while trying to settle it on the spool. Down she went. It sucked and now she's got a new paint job.

Same as all the rest never heard of it, maybe the person droped it while trying to put it on the stands, who knows. It's a piece of cake once you get used to it!!!:thumbsup:

Use spools. Don't get one that lifts off the swing arm itself. Then just make sure your stand is lined up under the spools. Sometimes you have to move the right side of the stand front or back to get it on the second spool, then lift it up. You can have someone help you the first couple times so you get the feel for it, but then you'll be fine on your own. And as others said, rear first, last down. Just to make sure there's no confusion. . Rear up, front up, front down, rear down.

I always resort to more simple measures! :poke: :rofl:

ZX135w2x4.jpg

I heard of falling bikes too, of people who used 'unknown brand' stands. Some also have done home-made stands which did not do the job. I got Vortex, they are pretty sturdy. Pitbulls are good but pricey. T-rex are cheaper than both the above, dunno if as good.

Sometimes the stand will slip on the chickenstrips... :whistle:

Just for thought. When using the front stand i remove the spports and insert a tire iron through the stand and the front axle (hollow), stands straight and no worries about falling, then raise the rear. Wotks good for me. Thanks Bill...Cheerds

I love my vortex. I dont know how it could fall over when on the stand. if you have a grab rail it's really pretty easy to do solo but like Bogus said put a block under the kickstand to bring the bike more vertical or if its lowered you can just turn your frt wheel to the right till its vertical.

I love my vortex. I dont know how it could fall over when on the stand. if you have a grab rail it's really pretty easy to do solo but like Bogus said put a block under the kickstand to bring the bike more vertical or if its lowered you can just turn your frt wheel to the right till its vertical.

I believe on the Gen I you also have an opening on the side of the tail section that allows you to reach in and grab the subframe if the grab rail is off.

Back