Wheelies ...

pseudo

Donating Member
Registered
So, I've finally started getting the "balls" to start doing wheelies on the Busa. I've figured out how to do a power wheelie, but the acceleration on those make me a bit nervous. I had a few unexpected 9-11 o' clockers.

I try to clutch wheelie (which I hear are easier to control) but just cant figure it out. I'm a little heaver of a guy (300lbs) so I'm not sure if I'm not doing the right amount on the RPM's or what...

Anyone have the formula?

Also, wheelies eat the living $#1t out of tires.. getting a new set tomorrow.

laugh.gif

I don't know of any formula's, but be careful !!! Oh, and I would say have fun, but you are already there !!!!
beerchug.gif

I'm 270 and for me doing a wheelie pretty much means I need to be going about 50MPH in first then I just ease off the throttle this will bring the front end down then I roll hard on the throttle and the bike will lift up. However by the time I get the wheelie up to a stable level i'm already going about 75MPH. If you want to throw a wheelie at a lower speed you'll need a sprocket ratio in your favor or you will have to pop the clutch.

The busa has enough power to get you to where you want to be but the bike is a heavy bike. The problem I have is that because of the power of the busa puts out when I roll the throttle, what happens is the bike will slowly rise but the power curve that bike puts out is a sharp curve. So what seems to be a safe slow rise turns in to a WHOA *&*!% in no time. I rarely do wheelies now because of it.

I'm 270 and for me doing a wheelie pretty much means I need to be going about 50MPH in first then I just ease off the throttle this will bring the front end down then I roll hard on the throttle and the bike will lift up. However by the time I get the wheelie up to a stable level i'm already going about 75MPH. If you want to throw a wheelie at a lower speed you'll need a sprocket ratio in your favor or you will have to pop the clutch.

The busa has enough power to get you to where you want to be but the bike is a heavy bike. The problem I have is that because of the power of the busa puts out when I roll the throttle, what happens is the bike will slowly rise but the power curve that bike puts out is a sharp curve. So what seems to be a safe slow rise turns in to a WHOA *&*!% in no time. I rarely do wheelies now because of it.
rofl.gif

That is some good shid right there !!! I feel ya Bro !!!!
laugh.gif
beerchug.gif

Sometimes just accelerating a bit ... and i MEAN A TINY BIT MORE THAN USUAL at a green light and off the wheel goes...

Get a 43 rear.
For clutching. I do it in 1st. gear. You need to be going About 40 mph. With 1 finger on the lever, pull it it in a bit (not all the way) as you pull it in, you need to increase on the throttle at the same time.
This is all done as almost a 1 motion lightning fast thing. When you first start to do it, the bike will only wanna lundge foward. you need to keep practicing.
good luck.
You are only pulling in on the clutch just a bit. Not all the way!
beerchug.gif

BE CAREFULL !! If you come down wrong you will get a head shake from HE!!, which is uaually followed by a tank slapper.

Your busa is a gentle giant of sport bikes. It really is well mannered and does very good wheelies but not the best choice for the learning curve. As you can see on this forum, most guys who ride busas don't do balanced wheelies. Many will lift the front a tad bit on accelleration but the big girl does intimidate most.

I'd suggest you start with power wheelies. 4K rpm and a little body english along with throttle control will get you airborne. With your above average body weight, you'll need to give her a little help by tugging on the bars while throwing your upper body backwards while keeping a firm grip on the bars. Getting it up is the easy part. Keeping it up is the hard part.

Mastering the illusive wheelie takes lots and lots of practice. If you'll dedicate at least an hour at least four days a week to nothing but wheelie practice, by summers end you'll be impressing your friends with your newly found skills
beerchug.gif

Enjoy the adventure!

BusaWheelie05.jpg

your fork seals will be ok as long as you learn to bring her down nice!! which i know is hard for thos just learing throttle control with the fron end up and getting the **** scared out of them and then dropping ff the throttle and slamming the front end down.

Sometimes just accelerating a bit ... and i MEAN A TINY BIT MORE THAN USUAL at a green light and off the wheel goes...
The heck you say! I take off like a rocket and I can't get the front end to come up. I got my bike with a load of performance parts, too, but they are geared toward top end.

The heck you say! I take off like a rocket and I can't get the front end to come up. I got my bike with a load of performance parts, too, but they are geared toward top end.
Ya, I don't think that's a Busa he's talking about. Unless he's popping the clutch at little with the throttle.

With stock gearing if you are not getting the front up from a power roll on, (in 1st) you aint opening the throttle up enough! Simple as that!

I was talking about right after you leave the light and the clutch is fully out. I can't seem to power it up until I hit at least 30 or even a little higher. The RPMs just aren't up there yet. Are you guys powering it up earlier w/ a stock sprocket?

I was talking about right after you leave the light and the clutch is fully out. I can't seem to power it up until I hit at least 30 or even a little higher. The RPMs just aren't up there yet. Are you guys powering it up earlier w/ a stock sprocket?
With stock gearing, 30 is barely enough. More like 45-50 then hit it.

Back