Wheelies ...

I was talking about right after you leave the light and the clutch is fully out. I can't seem to power it up until I hit at least 30 or even a little higher. The RPMs just aren't up there yet. Are you guys powering it up earlier w/ a stock sprocket?
With stock gearing, 30 is barely enough. More like 45-50 then hit it.
That's what I thought. Just making sure I wasn't missing something. If I hit it just right at about 30-35 heading up a hill from a stop sign not far from my house it comes up nicely, but it has to be just right. 40+ no problem anywhere else.

Here's a little wheelie video which shows the proper way to do a wheelie. Viewed from the drivers seat! Turn the sound up
cool.gif

Linky

Cool vid. Love the song. It was close, but I'm always looking for the view of the clutch work and the RPMs. I'm like "psuedo" looking for a "formula." I've never been a wheelie king, but I do ok USUALLY. Twice I had my dirt bikes (YZ250 and KTM 300) standing straight up and ended up on my arse. I hit the power band on a two stroke at just the wrong time... I always go on the side of caution on my street bike so I don't end up doing the same thing. Dirt bikes don't look as bad after an end over end and the dirt/grass doesn't hurt as much!

The formula for clutching/throttle will come with practice. It took me a while to get it. Eventually, it becomes natural as one whole motion between the 2 hands.... And very fast

Here you go bud "
to Wheelie[/url]" 6 minute video

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking for an instructional video, shake loose twenty five bucks and order up "Wheelies by Dummies" made by Kyle Woods. If you don't recognize the name, Kyle is a professional stunter sponsered by Triump. Great video on how to get started, how to set the bike up and a step by step instruction.

You won't find an instructional video using a busa. You may find a home grown version out there somewhere that may show you a bit more.

Here is another video which is more of what you are looking for only done with a GSXR1000.

Linky

Thanks for the clips. I've thought about buying a vid. A few of my buddies are wheelie gods, but I just never really got the clutch work straightened out. On my Harleys I've had over the years, I just hit it and dumped the clutch. No problem. Something with actual power like I have now I know what winding it up and dumping the clutch will result in... I'll find a deserted road and screw around with it one of these days.
I think the big thing I'm missing is holding the throttle while "blipping" the clutch. I always seem to habitually rev it and snap the clutch. That will just wind up blowing fork seals though. I've been riding for 28 years, 18 on the street. I know how to ride well, it's just the damn wheelies I never practiced enough...
Hope my questions helped out pseudo...

Most important thing about learning is....

WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!

I ass-U-me you already have that part figured out,but had to say it.

Price around for having your fork seals replaced. So you know what it will potentially cost you. Being one of us heavier riders it might be wise to get the front forks rebuilt at the same time to accommodate. It will improve the bikes handling. Making your riding experience that much better.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

Oh yeah! Watch where you practice. Laws are steadily getting more strict. For good reason too. Damn those squids! Find out what the fine is where you live and put that into consideration.

Pulling in the clutch, winding it and dumping it will get you and the bike hurt! The inline 4 has plenty of power to NOT have to do that. Clutching it up is a very FAST motion between the two hands. If you blink, you missed it. That's how fast it is.
It takes practice.

I have the best wheelie mentor out there.
beerchug.gif

You hold the throttle steady then very quickly with the one finger, you pull in the clutch. And I'm not talking about pulling it in a lot. At the same time, you want to increase on the throttle.

Steven is my wheelie mentor (tufbusa) He's a 58 yr. old squid on a backtire!
laugh.gif

You want to blip the clutch at a steady throttle hold as the bike is still picking up a little speed, not too much and not too wide a throttle opening. Blip the clutch and start to get used to the "blip and roll". Blip the clutch as you roll the throttle on slowly. Once the front end starts to rise hold steady throttle and despite your instincts get used to maintaining throttle and slllooooowwwwlly rolling off of the throttle to bring it back down gently. Do it once or twice on every ride and you will get better quickly. I used to wheelie my busa quite a bit for fun, now I have a wheelie machine and I can not keep the freaking front end down. Goodluck and godspeed.
thumb_up.gif
beerchug.gif

Once the front end starts to rise hold steady throttle and despite your instincts get used to maintaining throttle and slllooooowwwwlly rolling off of the throttle to bring it back down gently.
Thanks. I'm ok w/ not dropping the front end from doing roll ons. Roll ons I've nailed pretty decently. I hear you on the "instincts" though. I think it's the clutch work that's holding me back.
What a rush when I started w/ the roll ons. It's so different from what I was used to. It's easy to roll it up and easily come back down. Two strokes shoot right up. No brainer for the most part until you start trying to mess around with the balancing point. Everything else I've ever ridden I've had to clutch the snot out of to the point where it was just rev it up and dump it.

I once said, "if I have to stop wheelie-ing, I'll stop riding." That was before I had a tankslapper setting down my 05cbr600rr on a bumpy road on a windy day. Spend some time in the ICU and it may change your mind a bit. That being said, I still do wheelies, just not on the $12000 K8. Rather, my brothers 07cbr1000rr.
biggrin.gif
:D:D (It's got a steering damper!)

Here's some food for though on setting down a wheelie on a big, long, heavy Busa. (btw, stock steering dampers are of limited value for these purposes)

Just be careful, bro. As fun as wheelies are, crashing sucks.

-yow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Price around for having your fork seals replaced. So you know what it will potentially cost you. Being one of us heavier riders it might be wise to get the front forks rebuilt at the same time to accommodate. It will improve the bikes  handling. Making your riding experience that much better.

Be Safe and Enjoy!
Fork seal is $18 from Suzuki.
Another $10 for fork oil.
Pretty cheap for all the fun you can have doing wheelies. After you learn to control the landings a wheelie is no longer hard on seals.

Price around for having your fork seals replaced. So you know what it will potentially cost you. Being one of us heavier riders it might be wise to get the front forks rebuilt at the same time to accommodate. It will improve the bikes  handling. Making your riding experience that much better.

Be Safe and Enjoy!
Pretty cheap for all the fun you can have doing wheelies. After you learn to control the landings a wheelie is no longer hard on seals.
kinda rough on the front tire, though.
that sudden acceleration from 15mph to 80
winkold.gif

Price around for having your fork seals replaced. So you know what it will potentially cost you. Being one of us heavier riders it might be wise to get the front forks rebuilt at the same time to accommodate. It will improve the bikes handling. Making your riding experience that much better.

Be Safe and Enjoy!
What's the labor involved also? Just cause parts are cheap doesn't mean repairs are... hehe
I know it's not one of those "take out a 2nd mortgage" repairs, but... Don't know book time. Guessing couple hours of roughly $75 and hour. $150 + $28 + Tax.

If person can do labor themselves then yeah is pretty cheap fix.

Replace your own seals. The only special tool required is an 8mm hex head long 3/8 socket. Although I do prefer to have a torque wrench handy, it's not necessary.

It's an easy job that even a novice can do. Once the fork is off the bike, it takes me about twenty minutes to disassemble the fork, replace the seal, reassemble and add oil.

If you do take it to your dealer it should only cost around a hundred bucks or less.

If you can't afford to buy a seal or two during the wheelie learning curve, then wheelies will always be just a figment of the imagination!

Back