Busa 2nd Gear Wheelies

Lewis

Registered
I currently own a 2015 Hayabusa. The only thing I've done to it is added a power commander + map and slip on pipes (Two Bros). I'm sure just about anyone who owns this bike, knows that it wheelies VERY EASY. I'm seeing so many stock busa's like mine do a roll-on wheelie in 2nd gear and I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out where they're getting that type of torque from? I've seen others raise the front wheel in second gear using the bounce method. I can do roll on wheelies all day long in first gear, but what am I missing here. Never have I been able to get this bike to raise in second gear. Thoughts? Ideas? Answers?

Exmaple :

When mine was stock I had no issues when grabbing second hard or a little slip of the clutch. In this video you can’t see what he is doing. Don’t know what the gearing is in the video. Do you know the sprockets you have on yours?

Did you add the power commander? Could have a terrible tune in it. Also wasn’t to wake you bike up send your ECU to powerhouse and get it flashed.

Relax. My 08 is just like yours. Stands up easy in first gear but second, I don't think so. I would have to be moving at a high rate of speed in second gear to be up in the power band high enough to wheelie if it will do it. I don't think it does. I would have had it happen a lot by now. Hit a little bump or come over a rise and it will lift up in third but power wheelies are first gear only for me. Some member (sixpack, I think) had a video of a standing wheelie that must have been second gear but he was working the suspension and clutch to get the initial burst.

Mine won't lift in 2nd although I'm not a big fan of wheelies anyway so that is fine with me.

Not like my 1200 Bandit which is a wheelie maniac...it is very easy to lift the front end up on that thing.

Ok, well I'm very glad to hear that it's not just me. I have a strong feeling some of these busa's that do raise in 2nd gear (without the clutch or bouncing off the suspension) are either geared REALLY low (much larger sprocket in the back) or have a little more than stock parts working in/with the engine.

When mine was stock I had no issues when grabbing second hard or a little slip of the clutch. In this video you can’t see what he is doing. Don’t know what the gearing is in the video. Do you know the sprockets you have on yours?

Did you add the power commander? Could have a terrible tune in it. Also wasn’t to wake you bike up send your ECU to powerhouse and get it flashed.

I don't recall what sprocket I have on mine at the moment. It's the stock sprockets that came installed from the factory. Yes, I added the power commander. It indeed could be a bad tune. It was a preset tune I downloaded from the manufacturer of my exhaust for my setup. ;)

Ok, well I'm very glad to hear that it's not just me. I have a strong feeling some of these busa's that do raise in 2nd gear (without the clutch or bouncing off the suspension) are either geared REALLY low (much larger sprocket in the back) or have a little more than stock parts working in/with the engine.
Mine is professionally tuned with a full Yosh exhaust, K&N and Bazzaz management system. Previous owner had it dyno'd at 186/118 so It's not stock and still will not lift the tire in 2nd...it takes off like a jet however...

Many things add to the factors of 2nd gear wheelies . Weight of rider , body position , rear shock set up , up hill ( or gentle rise in road ) I'm running turbo gearing 19/42 on a 511 pound hayabusa with all stock motor .
I weigh 150 pounds , and frequently loft the front end in the first 3 gears . 1st any time any where , 2nd off bounce , or HARD 1st through 2nd pull , 3rd on any hill crest under throttle .
2nd gear on flat land when running good fuel that is ethanol free . there is 50,000 BTU difference between non ethanol 92 octane , and Ethanol added 92 fuel .

My bike is running 18t / 47t gearing , the bike is lightened somewhat , 1/4 turn throttle and wheelies on the cam in second no clutch running fast , always less than 3/4 tank fuel . Only dyno'd when I fitted Brocks pipe and their tune 183hp/105ftlb . Since then it has had a very good ecu flash , the quick throttle , some air filter mods done , so maybe a bit more with another good tune and I always keep looking to lighten it . This bike never feels as front wheel high as my Gixxers felt when they wheelied from the olds days , but it does feel like it accelerates much harder on the back wheel than any other bike I've owned . It can be a wild beast on a winding back road , if you let it run hard .

Before turbo I went 2up on the rear sprocket and it would lift second no problem.

I have a no flash and no tune and stock gearing b king that’s completely planted in 2nd and my friends was the same way but liked to wheelie a bit more. Now he’s flashed and tuned and 2nd has plenty of lift.

In drag racing world a wheelie can cost a few tenths.
I am not and wasnt talking drags , my post referred to riding mine on the road , when oppertunity presents itself , it sometimes come up on the back wheel under hard acceleration .
On the old street height GSXR I first drag raced , I use to short shift to second and ride out next 2 gears on a wheelie , just a fact of life on that bike , then .
This L2 bike aint being drag raced at the moment , so when I do wheelie it on a ride , dont worry , it is usually accelerating .

Just sayin man, I mean floating the front tire an inch or three is one thing, but if you can't keep the throttle pinned, you aren't accelerating as fast as physics will allow. That's not to say wheelies aren't fun, especially on Wednesdays...
Yeah all good , I understand bro , my short geared Busa is ridden mostly in the hills , so I always aim at keeping my ride smooth and flowing , with due care and respect anytime I feed it big throttle in the lower 3 gears .
And yes , weekdays for rides for me too bro , especially when seeking any spirited fun .... too many cops and mobile cameras out on weekends in my state .

Back