Clutch Wheelies

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I was told today, performing clutch wheelies will damage your tranny due to the strain put on it by jumping from one RPM to another so abruptly. Power wheelies are better to do because they only place strain on the chain.

Is there any truth to this?

No Sir, you have been mislead! Clutch wheelies, if done properly is the easiest way to get your scooter up. However, the lower the gear the easier it is on your bike. If you start trying to clutch it up in third or fourth gear you have to slip the clutch a great deal making it hard on the clutch and probably hard on the counter shaft bearing but not much on the tranny. I have done thousands of clutch wheelies on a busa as well as 1K's and never had a problem with the tranny or the clutch. If done properly, a clutch wheelie is no harder on the bike than pulling away from a stop light.

Well Tufbusa, give us some tips on clutch wheelies. I've been wanting to do them in 2nd, however my bike just keeps jumping forward. I need help.

Well Tufbusa, give us some tips on clutch wheelies. I've been wanting to do them in 2nd, however my bike just keeps jumping forward. I need help.
The best tip is to stay away from second gear until you have mastered first gear! First gear is much easier to get her off the ground and at a slower speed.

Second tip is to master power wheelies first before moving up to clutch wheelies. Power wheelies are easiest to learn and you have a bit more control of the front when just beginning.

Pick up a dvd by Kyle Wood called "Wheelies by Dummies" Kyle gives you some great advise from how to set your bike up to body position, etc.

Back