Wheel Spin

AertepT

Registered
This is the first time it ever happened to me. I hadn't rode for a couple of days and when I pulled out on the highway,only a couple of blocks from the house, I hit the gas. The back tire broke loose and the bike slid the ass end out to the side. I recovered without going down, but that is scary as hell. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I've been riding for while now, but even on my last bikes this hasn't happened. I know theres a lot more horsepower on the busa, but I've never had it happen riding it and I didn't do anything different.

...happened to me a couple of times, perticularly when there was gravel on the road... the key is not to panic, just let go of the throtle a lil... and everything will be back to normal
biggrin.gif

Not panicking is the key. Let off the throttle a little and she should straighten up.

It has happened to me a few times. Once coming out of a corner at low speed and on the throttle pretty hard it slid way out then I let off and it grabbed real hard, thought I was gonna high side. Went home, got fresh boxers on and went back to riding.

+1 for COLD TIRES

I know Devil Dog was joking about gassing it, but one thing you should NEVER do is close the throttle. If the back is too far out, this will cause the rear to grab and try to align the rest of the bike with it. This can cause a highside.

Best thing is to just not give it any more throttle, and just SLIGHTLY let off enough to allow it to slowly regain traction. If you're not leaned over, then you could just let off the gas a bit, but if you're leaned, then be gentle with the throttle.

Glad you kept control of it
cool.gif

It's happened to me many times on ONE WHEEL. That's right! And I've had witnesses behind me! I give it too much gas going slow in first gear, the rear breaks loose, and then the front starts to come up while getting on/off traction on the rear. This leads to a dangerous "loose" wheelie. It's fun as hell though
cool.gif

happens on my turbo bike all the time..... once you get used to the feeling you can just LET ER EAT and leave long blackies......
laugh.gif

...happened to me a couple of times, perticularly when there was gravel on the road... the key is not to panic, just let go of the throtle a lil... and everything will be back to normal
biggrin.gif
YUP!! Happened to me a few times too. I agree with the no panic and let off the throttle too.

+1 for COLD TIRES

I know Devil Dog was joking about gassing it, but one thing you should NEVER do is close the throttle.  If the back is too far out, this will cause the rear to grab and try to align the rest of the bike with it.  This can cause a highside.

Best thing is to just not give it any more throttle, and just SLIGHTLY let off enough to allow it to slowly regain traction.  If you're not leaned over, then you could just let off the gas a bit, but if you're leaned, then be gentle with the throttle.

Glad you kept control of it
cool.gif
absolutely right! Now that my rear tire is at the wear bars, it does this all the time...pretty dam fun if you ask me! I'm holding off replacing the rear 'cause it is so much fun!!!

Grab a handfull of gas in first...torch 'em up to redline....shift into second and it'll keep right on spinnin'! What a kick!

But if you don't like the feeling when it spins, just keep the throttle still, or lightly let off....just not too much! Like stkr said, let off all the way while sideways and it is highside city!!

DITTO! DON'T TAKE THE "COLD TIRES" FOR GRANTED. I USUALLY SWAY SIDE TO SIDE A LITTLE TO SPEED UP THE WARMING PROCESS.

Be smooth, slower throttle movements lessen the chances of breaking traction.

So does hot tires.

Back