Whats the best way to remove and insall

SANDFLEA85

Registered
want to take the Links off the Bike(were on when I purchased bike) to insall new undertail.right now there is no clearence (lowered 3") and then once installed lowere it back...what is the best way to remove them and then install.I was thinking of strapping the rear frame to the rear tire to remove but to reinstall I cant do this because the plastics will be back on...any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I use this method for lifting the rear of the bike without compressing the suspension.  You have to lift the bike with out compressing the suspension to remove the links. If the undertail is on the bike and the plastics are on, just mount the grab bar and run the loop through there, that's how I did mine.

post-6-84608-busa_back1.jpg

I always just take off the belly pan and use a floor jack and lift if on the bracket for the belly pan.
You do have to play with the jack to get it in the right postition to remove.
With bike on a rear stand.

when changing parts like that i did about the same as thebbbusa
the only diff is i used an engine hoist to raise the bike.

I used a steel bar, thru the swing arm pivot hole, sitting on 6 ton jack stands. I know I know the bike doesn't weight 6 tons, but it got it higher off the ground. Using this method, it is easy to move around the bike. I wasn't changing bones, but did this set up to check the full range of travel when I installed my HMF High mounts so that the swing arm didn't touch the "S" pipe even all the way up.

Don

i used the rear stand and used a small floor jack under the shock mount nice and quick and easy to re-align holes ...

yep i also use my rear stand and the jack from my honda del sol under the shock mount but be very careful if the jack starts to give get the jack out of there it has fallen when i have almost aligned the holes

(2quik @ Jan. 25 2007,09:53) i used the rear stand and used a small floor jack under the shock mount nice and quick and easy to re-align holes ...
Throw in a second set of hands and a couple of cold ones and thats my strategy.

bottle jack works well.

the ladder works great for doing the back or the front. Actually I use the exact same ladder.
beerchug.gif

I use a engine hoist (same principal as th ladder. But I put my stap hooks through those small holes in the frame that are ment for your fingers when putting the bike up on a center stand. Works great.

(USN05LE @ Jan. 25 2007,06:53) I used a steel bar, thru the swing arm pivot hole, sitting on 6 ton jack stands.  I know I know the bike doesn't weight 6 tons, but it got it higher off the ground.  Using this method, it is easy to move around the bike.  I wasn't changing bones, but did this set up to check the full range of travel when I installed my HMF High mounts so that the swing arm didn't touch the "S" pipe even all the way up.

Don
+1 on the Rod through the Swingarm pivot! I just installed My Raising Links last week with this method and it worked like a gem. I just put a 2x4 under the tire and slowly retracted the 2x4 to lower the Swingarm into alignment for the re-install!

BTW the Raising Links are a Major Improvement!
egitarre77.gif

Rockadaous, don't forget to place the bike on a rear stand first!!!!! Rock's method took five minutes, actually it took longer to place the fairings back!

Picture_004.jpg

I had to pull the left muffler to get my Stock links out/new ones in also! Only applies to those of us with stock muffler or Bolt ons I suppose.

Back