Changing forks... Any advise?

StrtRac3r

Registered
So I'm changing my forks, bearings, and lower triple. And my two questions are.....

What's the best way to remove/install the bottom seal/bearing race from the steering stem?

And does anyone have any ideas on how to support the bike while removing the front end?

Thanks in advance all.

A long punch to knock out the old race. A tool made for driving in new bearing race, or a large piece of brass round bar stock matching the race diameter. A brass punch and alot of patience will get the race in as a last resort.
A frame stand gets the front end off easily, but strap(s) under the steering neck on the frame suspended from overhead will work also. Some may advise jacking under the header with a wooden block, but this leaves the bike very unstable from side to side.

Best of luck , even with straps I'd want something under it just in case :laugh:

That way it only has half as far to fall down before it falls over:rofl:
But seriously, it wouldn't hurt either.
The straps do work if done correctly, and I've seen a bike fall when they weren't. Straps are really the only option without the proper frame stand. Unless you want to try rigging a stand out of wooden blocks and 2x4's, I'm not advising it, but it'll work too... if done right.

So I am a welder/metal fab, I was thinking of making a stand that would support it from where the frame sliders bolt on. Do you think that's strong enough to support the bike, the rear is on a stand.

So I am a welder/metal fab, I was thinking of making a stand that would support it from where the frame sliders bolt on. Do you think that's strong enough to support the bike, the rear is on a stand.

If I were you then, I'de just make a frame stand. It'll save you time in the long run and you'll know it's strong and secure. I wouldn't want to say either way how well the frame slider bolts would support the bike.

Yea that's what I was thinking about that location. Anybody have a pic of their frame stand in use and alone?

The engine mount/frame bolts have a 5/8" hole that goes completely through the frame. You would basically need a triangular base for each side connected across the bottom with a 5/8" pin on each side.
The stand sides will need to have their base far enough forward from the frame hole to allow the majority of the bike's weight to shift to the rear, which can't be on the rear stand; otherwise the side stands would have to be that much taller.

Back