I need some help on disassembling

nyrican

Registered
OK, this is a bit long winded but I need some real input so please bare with me . I am disassembling my bike and aside needing the special tools that I have ordered I am still stumped on one thing , the service manual is somewhat vague on the removal of the steering stem / forks, can I remove the forks and steering stem as a unit or must disassemble the forks and the whole triple tree just to get them off the frame? I am trying to get it off because I am send the frame,swing arm and wheels to Cali for some chroming and thus I have to remove the steering / forks , ...Can it be done ? If so how? thanx in advance for any help provided

OWNED6.jpg

The front end can be removed as one unit, but.
You have to remove the top plate the bars connect to, then the top triple clamp underneath that.
Be sure to remove the controls and brake/clutch reservoir beforehand too.
Then just remove the nuts on the steering stem, the bearing cover, then the top bearing.
Then just slip the frame off & the forks out from below.

easy peasy

GL,
Busafied

nyrican:

I've never disassembled a bike that far, but mechanically, you should be able to remove the steering head without removing the fork tubes. However...

If you're sending everything else out to be chromed, then why not send out the triple tree? The triple tree is seen just as much as the rest of the frame, and I think it would look a little odd to have a chrome frame and black triple tree.

Removing the fork tubes is simple enough. Just make sure you measure how much is sticking out of the top of the triple tree before disassembly. That way you'll know you get it back to the same place. Wrapping tape around won't help, because the fork tubes have to slide out. I think it would be easier to remove the steering head without the weight of the fork tubes hanging off of it.

Good luck with it, and post some pics when you get all done.

thanx for the help guys she's all set for shipping , the reason I am not sending the triple tree with the frame is that I have a local shop that will be handling all my small parts , they just dont have the means to do my bigger items . Once again I really appreciate the help and you guys actually taking the time to reply , I will be sure to post some pics up when shes done , here she is at 1030 am today
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

IM000053.JPG

bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

No I got it right here in Oklahoma where I'm stationed , I think they are cheaper here , I paid like 9700 for it here

BTW...

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>WELCOME TO THE BOARD ! ! !</span></span>

Back