What's the best set-up for portable tire changing

justintime2

What's your story?
Donating Member
Registered
Lookin to get set-up for racing and want a portable system for changing tires and balancing them. I am also not going to pay $35 per wheel to have them mounted and balanced at the stealership ever again. Any suggestions and links?
rock.gif

I did a search and read through what I could find but only 2 threads came up regarding that. Harbor freight has a tire changing set-up for under $100, has anybody used it?

I have also looked at this guys prtable balancer but I haven't had any luck in him returning emails.

Any suggestions appreciated.
thumbs-up.gif

Lookin to get set-up for racing and want a portable system for changing tires and balancing them. I am also not going to pay $35 per wheel to have them mounted and balanced at the stealership ever again. Any suggestions and links?
rock.gif

I did a search and read through what I could find but only 2 threads came up regarding that. Harbor freight has a tire changing set-up for under $100, has anybody used it?

I have also looked at this guys prtable balancer but I haven't had any luck in him returning emails.

Any suggestions appreciated.
thumbs-up.gif
The Harbor Freight changer with motorcycle attachment, two jack stands, and some stick on weights are all you need. I've changed several sets with my Harbor Freight changer. Once I finally got some help with how it works it works well. I just gave it to a friend to let him mount it to the floor in his shop because it's tough to use when it's not anchored down. It's worth the money...
wink.gif
I do a static balance using one of the axle shafts that comes with the HF changer and two jack stands. That's how the racers we watched at Barber Motorsport Park done it on their race bikes. Has worked fine for me so far.
wink.gif

wink.gif

Harbor frieght and my own home made static balancer with no problems so far. For balancing verification I had to buy other set of tire I needed for my trip to the Meet n Greet back in Aug. I asked the tech to check the balancing of my tires I personally mounted and balance with my aftermarket toolsbefore he mounted and balanced the new set using their shop tools. Afterwards he told me only my the front tire was off  by an .5 oz and the rear was fine. 

I did experience alittle front end hobble when I reached 170 mph but at speed lower she was very steady.  
My homemade static balancer cost me around $20 in materials I purchased from Home Depot.

This thread is not great without any pics and how too TY!! I mean Kamon dude really.
[/QUOTE]

Bend over, so I can kick this up your ..............
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

search.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
When Harbor Freight has the changer and motorcycle attachment on sale you can pick them up for under $70 total. Sometimes the web site has one on sale while the store has the other on sale. Print out the web site price and take it to the store with you and they'll match it. I also hear they're real easy to deal with...as in you can haggle with any manager and get stuff for the past sale prices.

Dennis Kirk has good prices on various tire irons, rim protectors and balancing weights in various colors. In addition to rim protectors I also use large pieces of plastic cut out from detergent and fabric softener jugs.
Dish soap slightly watered down to remove and install the tire works great.
Once the new tire is back on the wheel I dry the bead area and apply bead sealant, then hit it with air to set the tire. You can buy a large can of sealant from Napa for $15. I don't think most people use the bead sealant but with the torque and HP of a Busa you'd be crazy not to.

I feel there's too much friction in the Busa's wheel bearings to use them for balancing.
This is probably the best bang for the buck on a wheel balancer:

balance.jpg

For $78 delivered I doubt you'll find one cheaper and the craftsmanship is excellent!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....4188943

For less than $200 you should be able to get everthing you need to start changing out your own tires.
The dealers around here won't touch tires that were not bought from them. They do however offer "free" installation when buying tires from them. They quoted me $300 installed for a set of BT45's my 500T, I bought the same tires off the net for $140 delivered and installed them myself. That first tire change basically paid for all the equipment, when I changed the Busa's rear a few months later it was all money in the bank at that point.
smile.gif

Best part is I know it's done right and I don't scratch my wheels like the shops do. Once you get the hang of it you can pop 'em on and off in about 15 minutes.

ICEMANN Posted on Oct. 22 2005,06:14
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread is not great without any pics and how too TY!!  I mean Kamon dude really. [/QUOTE]

I cant find the dayyyyyyyuuum thread (shid Cache) JD.

Anyway the balancing tool Turbo Torch is showing is how mine looks, actually that same tool gave me my inspiration.
When I was looking for a static balancer  last yr, he was charging $115 without shipping for the Busa balancer, so I said fug that and made my own seeing how simple it appeared.

Dayyyyyyumm I wish I could find the link show I could show you, Playaz my homemade static balancer !!!!!!!

I cant take any photos because I left my digi camera in St.Louis at my brother n law house when I went to the Meet n Greet last Aug, and the knuckle head hasnt mailed it to me yet  
sad.gif

I also just made a pair of quick release screws for the gas tank for less than $5 and modified a set of quick release pins for the front seat for less than $42.
But no pic's cuz my azzhole brother n law hasnt sent me my camera
argue.gif

mad.gif

laugh.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread is not great without any pics and how too TY!! I mean Kamon dude really.

Anyway the balancing tool Turbo Torch is showing is how mine looks, actually that same tool gave me my inspiration.
When I was looking for a static balancer last yr, he was charging $115 without shipping for the Busa balancer, so I said fug that and made my own seeing how simple it appeared.

Dayyyyyyumm I wish I could find the link show I could show you, Playaz my homemade static balancer !!!!!!!

I cant take any photos because I left my digi camera in St.Louis at my brother n law house when I went to the Meet n Greet last Aug, and the knuckle head hasnt mailed it to me yet
sad.gif

I also just made a pair of quick release screws for the gas tank for less than $5 and modified a set of quick release pins for the front seat for less than $42.
argue.gif
mad.gif
laugh.gif
[/QUOTE]
This post is worthless without pics...
biggrin.gif

BulletTrain Posted on Oct. 22 2005,10:51
Quote (Rhythm @ Oct. 22 2005,13:11)
This thread is not great without any pics and how too TY!!  I mean Kamon dude really.  

When I was looking for a static balancer  last yr, he was charging $115 without shipping for the Busa balancer, so I said fug that and made my own seeing how simple it appeared.

This post is worthless without pics...  [/QUOTE]

Rub it in B-man !
laugh.gif

C-luv found the link for me but my dumb azz deleted the photos from my photo hosting site a few weeks ago  
mad.gif

Heres the link, remember, Train ?

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1130003975 -->

BulletTrain Posted on Oct. 22 2005,10:51
Quote (Rhythm @ Oct. 22 2005,13:11)

When I was looking for a static balancer last yr, he was charging $115 without shipping for the Busa balancer, so I said fug that and made my own seeing how simple it appeared.

This post is worthless without pics...

Rub it in B-man !
laugh.gif

C-luv found the link for me but my dumb azz deleted the photos from my photo hosting site a few weeks ago
mad.gif

Heres the link, remember, Train ? [/QUOTE]
Yeah, I remember... Good info.
wink.gif
Just givin' ya a ration of shid, bro.
biggrin.gif

Great info guys I think I have all I need to do this. Does that ebay balancer work on bike specific models or on multiple model? We will be using this for four seperate bikes that's why I was looking at the balancer in my first post fo the thread as it can accomodate all of them. This guy wont return emails though so who knows on that one.

Does the HF tire changer set-up have the ability to break the bead or should I get one of their bead breaker tools as well?
rock.gif

The static balancer Turbo is showing will need a different adapter for different bikes and the h/f will work on any type of M/C tire.

Great info guys I think I have all I need to do this. Does that ebay balancer work on bike specific models or on multiple model? We will be using this for four seperate bikes that's why I was looking at the balancer in my first post fo the thread as it can accomodate all of them. This guy wont return emails though so who knows on that one.

Does the HF tire changer set-up have the ability to break the bead or should I get one of their bead breaker tools as well?
rock.gif
The ebay balancer has cone shaped pieces on the rod that should work with several different wheel bearing sizes. Maybe not ALL sizes, but should be pretty universal. I tried to order one but can't get into my ebay account for some reason...
mad.gif

And the HF changer has a built on bead breaker. It's a V shape protrusion on the base of the stand and a hinged lever on the side of the stand that you insert the big tire bar into and push down to break the bead.
wink.gif

The Busa will require a longer balancing rod do to the wider with of the rear rim.

Back