Question on changing tires at home

drumminman

Donating Member
Registered
After pricing tires and mounting/balancing fees (for example Metz. M1 Sportec rear: $130 internet/$230 dealer + $50 for mounting/balancing!) from the dealership at which I bought my '05, I'm seriously considering going the internet route for tire purchases and putting them on at home.

The Harbor Freight tire changer looks to be a good deal so I'll probably go this route.

My question is once you remove the wheel do you have to remove the rotors and/or sprocket before doing the above?

Any other tips or advice from those who do this regularly?

Thanks
smile.gif

I buy Bridgestone BT014 tires at my dealer, $245 for the set. I take the wheeles off and they mount them. Well, actually now days I just go into their shop and mount them myself but the rear is only $150. I'd look for another shop if I were you? I know Cycle Gear which is a chain store is very reasonable on buying and mounting tires? If the dealer has to remove the wheel from the bike and mount the tire etc. $50 is more than reasonable.

You don't have to take the rotors off to mount new tires. You have to have them on there to balance them anyway. Mount the tires yourself and then charge your friends 20 bucks to do theirs as well. That way you'll make your money back. That's what I do. It's like getting new tires for free.

The rear is no problem with the rotor on. The sprocket just lifts off with the top part of the cush drive assembly so you'll have that off anyways.

I haven't done the front on my Busa yet, but I believe the rotors will need to come off. The front rotors on my CXT's are small and it was risky since I had to raise and support the wheel assembly off the ground with wood blocks while using the bead breaker.
The front rotors on the Busa are huge in comparison. Once the bead is popped you need to get out the tire irons. One slip with the tire iron and the rotor will be destroyed.

I cant seem to find the original link but I found a similar one posted below. This tip was revelation for changing tires! And it doesn't get any more expensive than the cost of a 2x4! You basically take a short piece of 2x4 and use a second long piece as a lever. I used a thick piece of cardboard to protect the rim and discs but a piece of thick carpet would be ideal. You may have to block it up to keep the discs off the ground or just pull the rotors. This is the slickest bead breaker I have ever used and wondered why I hadn't tried it earlier. Just make sure to use a liberal amount of lube (a personal mantra of mine) on the beads. Balancing the tires is another story but is achievable without too much effort.

send bullettrain a pm - he did a great thread on changing tires - with pic's - about 2 years ago - he may be able to lead you to it. You will need to buy or make a front axel tool (there is one adavertised in all the magazines that fits 3 different size axel nuts on one tool - or easy to make one - and the front rotors stay on the wheel. PM Bullettrain and you will have a step by step to work with.

Back