whats the best mods for a k8?

baleibec

Donating Member
Registered
hey everyone, im a newbie to this sight, but love the wealth of knowlege you guys have :bowdown: . all i have is an 08 orange/black busa with rs3 slip-ons. what other mods should i do to make the bike better? i have heard of the pair valve trick, should i do that? and the airbox mod, will it make a differance? i keep hearing that a power commander is great and transforms the bike, any truth to that? thanks in advance

1. HID
  2. Throttle Meister
  3. Garmin GPS Zumo 550
  4. Scala Q2 headset

so power mods? most of my riding is to and from work, and a half-dozen trips to deals gap yearly. already scrubbed .25" off of the pegs:laugh:

all depends on what your trying to do. going for power? air filter, power commander, tuning....drag racing? maybe swingarm extension, clutch mod,suspension... deals gap? good tire....aftermarket levers make a bigger difference than youd think...

i like to corner a good bit, but i heard that extending the bike hurts its agility. i dont drag any. how much does the commander and airbox mod help. and whats with the pair mod? i just wanna make it a lil better

If you like to corner good tires are your best friend. Replacing the factory exhaust will also help you drop some significant weight from your beast. You already have all the power you need. The rest is optional.

:thumbsup:

no need or gain will come from adding a power comander to your bike with slip ons, the pair valve mod isnt for gains ,but for the backfireing some get after doing a full exhaust system, good set of rubber, some adjustable levers will make ya happy....for now:beerchug:

hey everyone, im a newbie to this sight, but love the wealth of knowlege you guys have :bowdown: . all i have is an 08 orange/black busa with rs3 slip-ons. what other mods should i do to make the bike better? i have heard of the pair valve trick, should i do that? and the airbox mod, will it make a differance? i keep hearing that a power commander is great and transforms the bike, any truth to that? thanks in advance

:welcome: to the site

One of the best mods to do that wont kill your wallet is HID......there's sum free ones out there to like "steering damp mod", "20 cent TRE mod" are some good ones.
PERFORMACE, id say power commandor/custom tune for sure!, block off pair valve @ air box(no x-tra hp, but runs smoother on decell), To my knowledge there is NO "AIR BOX MOD" on the 08's.....thats a gen1 mod, maybe the "clutch mod".... but if your a road racer you probably dont want that(will lock back tire up under hard down shifting)...... heres a pic of the 6000k HID kit mod

101_0125.jpg

:welcome: to the site

One of the best mods to do that wont kill your wallet is HID......there's sum free ones out there to like "steering damp mod", "20 cent TRE mod" are some good ones.
PERFORMACE, id say power commandor/custom tune for sure!, block off pair valve @ air box(no x-tra hp, but runs smoother on decell), To my knowledge there is NO "AIR BOX MOD" on the 08's.....thats a gen1 mod, maybe the "clutch mod".... but if your a road racer you probably dont want that(will lock back tire up under hard down shifting)...... heres a pic of the 6000k HID kit mod

:agree:

I have had big bore, nitrous, turbos, stroker motors etc etc and after getting the 08 I decided that it really didnt need a lot of engine mods. So I took a different route this time. I felt it did need better brakes, handling and weight reduction. So my top mods are a little different.

1. Exhaust for weight loss I think mine dropped 37 lbs approx.
2. Dymag Forged mag wheels shaved another 12 lbs plus it is unsprung weight.
3. Ohlins suspension front and rear.
4. Galfer brakes, rotors, lines and pads.
5. HIDs were nice too but not nearly as impactful (or expensive) as the items above.

labusas7.jpg

labusas4.jpg

labusas1.jpg

labusas2.jpg

labusas3.jpg

busa7.jpg

labusas5.jpg

Exhaust is the first place.....35lbs. lost and 10hp gain....plus torque!!! Then go from there!!!

thanks guys, how much did the new rotors help? was considering that route. and i still have the heavy stock exhaust(in a box in the garrage). how does the levers help much? and what brand works best. so far the best tires i have had on any bike was the pilot powers, but just tried the road ct2's and they work like glue.

Pretty penny for a pretty ride looks awesome OB rotts! I'm jealous of your passenger peg powdercoating. Mine came out a little too shiny. I like the matte look of yours. I got those vortex rearsets ordered after looking at them on your bike. I also picked up the Roaring Toyz triple tree and lowering links. I ordered my Trac 240 kit from the sponsor here and waiting on it to arrive (hopefully in the next week or so). I'm going for the stealth busa look with my phantom, but your orange is hot as hell! Nice work! Thinking about the HID mod too. We'll see after I recover from this round of mods lol. :thumbsup:

I did my rotors, pads and lines all together so its hard for me to say which was the ticket. I just wanted to avoid the extreme added costs of master cylinder and calipers so I did all of those and am happy. The 08 brakes may be inproved over the 99-07 but they are still not that good stock. But with the Galfer setup from site sponser cycle brakes I am very happy now. The adjustable pazzos are nice too of course.

And I cant help but think that losing 50lbs off the bike will help the braking some too. Thanks for all the kind words on my bike. It is one of the coolest rides I have ever owned and the best thing is that the motor is basically stock and 100% reliable.

Biggest bang for the buck on brakes is the steel lines. That will only set you back about ~$100 if you do it yourself (only really need to do the fronts) and the feel will be much crisper. Proper brake bleeding is IMPORTANT!!! New rotors may or may not make a noticeable difference for the street. I put them on my '02 track bike to get rid of brake fade, which made a night and day difference. I put them on my '08 too, but just for the hell of it.

The Ohlins are SWEET!!! What did that set you back?

Last edited:
Pretty penny for a pretty ride looks awesome OB rotts! I'm jealous of your passenger peg powdercoating. Mine came out a little too shiny. I like the matte look of yours. I got those vortex rearsets ordered after looking at them on your bike. I also picked up the Roaring Toyz triple tree and lowering links. I ordered my Trac 240 kit from the sponsor here and waiting on it to arrive (hopefully in the next week or so). I'm going for the stealth busa look with my phantom, but your orange is hot as hell! Nice work! Thinking about the HID mod too. We'll see after I recover from this round of mods lol. :thumbsup:

I want to see pics when you get the 240 kit. I'm thinking of going the same route.

Back