What's stock about pro-stock motorcycle dragsters?

As far as " stock " goes under NHRA definition just as { pro stock cars) the bodies and engines have to be "stock appearing" . The term "stock " is used very loosly.:whistle:
For many years Suzi's and Kawi's dominated NHRA Prostock bike catagory. Then when H/D came in with the sponsor $$$$$$ NHRA allowed the version of their road racing VR1000 engine. This is a fuel injected engine ,meanwhile the suzis and kawis had to still use carburated engines. Until I think 2 or 3 years ago NHRA let the Japanese bikes use fuel injection and in just a couple of years the suzis have caught up to the H/D and Buells and a SUZUKI now holds the e.t. record and i think the speed record also.
Turbos and superchargers a not allowed in prostock. The frames are custom built tube frames and resemble nothing like the street version.

As far as " stock " goes under NHRA definition just as { pro stock cars) the bodies and engines have to be "stock appearing" . The term "stock " is used very loosly.:whistle:
For many years Suzi's and Kawi's dominated NHRA Prostock bike catagory. Then when H/D came in with the sponsor $$$$$$ NHRA allowed the version of their road racing VR1000 engine. This is a fuel injected engine ,meanwhile the suzis and kawis had to still use carburated engines. Until I think 2 or 3 years ago NHRA let the Japanese bikes use fuel injection and in just a couple of years the suzis have caught up to the H/D and Buells and a SUZUKI now holds the e.t. record and i think the speed record also.
Turbos and superchargers a not allowed in prostock. The frames are custom built tube frames and resemble nothing like the street version.
Antron or Angelle's bike from a few years back....

old computer 434.jpg

the imports must run OEM engine cases....these are based on 30 year old KZ and GS engines.....

there are a couple of key rules that HD does not have to follow.

1. the HD is not based on the VR1000 roadracer...it is a prototype, custom built engine that only appears to resemble an oversized V-Rod motor. it does not share any parts with a v-rod. it does not even have push-rods.

the imports must use stock OEM based engine cases
2. the engine VHR races cannot be bought, by anyone, for any amount of money

according to the rules, the imports must be for sale to anyone, meaning i could by all the parts i need to build a bike just like what those guys are racing.

Back