Whats needed for a track day?

This might not be gear but it will make the day more comfortable.

A shade umbrella of some type as you will have some free time and sitting in the sun with most
of your gear on can get hot quick.

A cooler with cold water would be nice to. Some tracks will feed you lunch, but a few snacks can come in handy too.
Some cool towels in a cooler can't hurt either.

Like the others have said unplug the headlight and tape it with the blue painters tape for easy removal later.
When I went I did all the taping the day before so that it was ready for the check in that is required before you ride.

Hope that helps some.
With all the info provided you will know more than a lot of first timers. :beerchug:

The most important thing is to make sure your bike is ready for a track day.

Tires are extremely important. Make sure you have adequate tread (No touring tires) preferably a hypersport tire. Proper tire pressure for track use is a must! Clean and oil your chain making sure it has a minimum of one inch of slack. A chain too tight restricts your rear suspension travel. Check your brakes to make sure they are functioning well and you have a significant amount of pad left. Throttle return, your throttle should snap back when you twist it to the stop and let go.

Generally go over your entire bike to make sure all the bolts are tight and nothing looks out of place.

Whats needed for a track day? If you've never done it before... what you'll probably need is lot's of $$$ (unfortunately)

Doesn't have to be expensive. Fees and safety gear are the two biggest cost. Renting safety gear will help if they have the option.

OK newb question. How much feeling do you loose wearing those big racing boots? Can you still feel the click of shifting or do you have to just know its right. How about the feedback on the rear brake?

Thanks guys, hoping.to get to one or 3 this summer. Please start gathering your spare parts to donate to me :rofl:

OK newb question. How much feeling do you loose wearing those big racing boots? Can you still feel the click of shifting or do you have to just know its right. How about the feedback on the rear brake?

Race boots usually have soft thin sole and a padded yet soft area for the shifter. I think it gives you a better feel for foot position and shifter engagement.

As for the rear brake, I never use it on the track. Under. Hard braking the tear tire unloads and brake force becomes virtually non existent. This will spark an age old debate, but for me it's a nogo.

If you choose to use it, there should not be a noticeable loss of feel. If anything it should be better as a good set of race boots are designed for rider feel and protection not walking comfort. The soles are very thin.

Unless your name is Rossi, keep that dang foot off the rear brake on the track, or hard street riding...don't say you weren't warned. A trackday or two will quickly break you of that habit.

There was a noob rider in Novice at Barber 2 weeks ago that kept using his back brake going into turn one - the instructors REPEATEDLY told him to knock it off - but he kept doing it - and promptly wadding his bike up...

When you get to race class, that would be the time to learn the nuances of the rear - but until then...don't touch it. A few trackdays and you'll understand why and until then you just gotta take it on faith.

black diamond busa said:
OK will do I just thought since it was a school on how to control your bike they would teach proper use of rear brake.

You can't teach it, it has to be learned. I'm not totally sure I agree with not using it at all but I do agree that it is hard to use correctly & it can bite you quickly.

I have a GP Tech rear thumb brake, it will not lock the rear wheel. It's great for:

1. Stand up wheelies on rear pegs
2. setting suspension when entering turns
3. Controls rear wheel spin when exiting turns
4. Control wheel spin on launch
5. Control wheelie on launch
6. Trail braking to scrub speed
7. Effective rear braking no matter what body position

image-3669377502.jpg

image-3669377502.jpg

You can't teach it, it has to be learned. I'm not totally sure I agree with not using it at all but I do agree that it is hard to use correctly & it can bite you quickly.

I have a GP Tech rear thumb brake, it will not lock the rear wheel. It's great for:

1. Stand up wheelies on rear pegs
2. setting suspension when entering turns
3. Controls rear wheel spin when exiting turns
4. Control wheel spin on launch
5. Control wheelie on launch
6. Trail braking to scrub speed
7. Effective rear braking no matter what body position

View attachment 246331

Now, THAT is high-tech sharp, and yes standard equipment on most race bikes. But wouldn't you agree that proper rear brake application is something better learned AFTER a few trackdays?

skydivr said:
Now, THAT is high-tech sharp, and yes standard equipment on most race bikes. But wouldn't you agree that proper rear brake application is something better learned AFTER a few trackdays?

Yes I always teach proper front braking before I teach rear braking....

Yes I always teach proper front braking before I teach rear braking....

I am BY NO MEANS an accomplished track rider, but sometimes there is a lot of inaccurate info put out about rear brake application to new riders, especially about trackdays. So, to keep it easy for Novice riders, having them stay the heck away from the rear brake until they learn to fully utilize the front brake (most have no idea how good the front is) seems to be a safer bet. I am still trying to learn to master the front brake after 3 seasons..

Well that's alot different then what I always read about "nobody should ever use the rear brake" its much better that you say I have to work on the front before I can use the rear. That sir I can live with :D

Well that's alot different then what I always read about "nobody should ever use the rear brake" its much better that you say I have to work on the front before I can use the rear. That sir I can live with :D

It's the KISS principle. A lot of novice riders hear "well, maybe" so they go out in their second sesson thinking they should try it - usually with disasterous results (because going for the rear is instinctive to most street-only riders). So, most of your novice instructors, to make sure you hear them, will be very vocal about keeping away from the rear - and even then, there will always be one guy who doesn't pay attention, or thinks he's good enough to try it....

Back