Whats needed for a track day?

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
Im thinkin it might be about time to learn how to ride my bike:laugh:

A local guy does some track days each summer and has invited me along. Not sure what track or when, still gotta figure all that, but Ive got some questions to get myself ready. Im sure he has most of these answers, but I wanna go in at some level slightly above moron, which aint easy for me:laugh:

Im thinkin Ill need more gear, Ive got a leather street jacket, helmet and gloves, I assume Ill need pants and boots too, anyhting else?

What about the Busa? Will I have to safety wire everything? Change the coolant? Tape on the lights is the only things Im sure of?

So, Team Gixxer, what does this lil frog need to go do some laps?

Well I know the one by me if its your first time nothing but taping the lights has to be done to the bike and just basic gear. I think they take it real slow the first couple times. I know once you go to the middle class there's alot to do. But this just might be around me best bet is to find out the track and talk to them. Good luck.
P.S. what not going to try a track day with a 240 on the rear? :D:D:D

Rollcage Renderings - YouTube[/url][/MEDIA]

You might want to look into one of these. :whistle:

ok so I can't embed a youtube video yet but anyways.

Rollcage Renderings - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you need a set of leathers, either one or two piece are ok but non matching pants and jacket I don't think would fly?
This is only thing really stopping me. There is a track day next weekend I plan on going to just to hang out and see it, only a few mins away from my home. It's at PBIR, Palm Beach Intl Raceway.

Depends on which trackday org is hosting. Make sure you read their specific requirements for gear and bike prep. Some will give free gear rentals for your first trackday. Some will require you to replace antifreeze even in novice.

Every track is a little different but here are some basics req by most tracks:

Full leathers - 1 pc preferred but 2 pc zipped together acceptable

Quality race oriented gloves- no cheapos

Boots- must cover the ankle

Back protector- the thin foam inside the jacket does not count. A quality unit is recommended for your safety.

Headlights taped and mirrors removed or folded to prevent use. Brake light disconnected.

REMOVE THE COOLANT! Required or not there is nothing worse than waiting for an hour or more while the track crew cleans up coolant from the surface. And you don't want to go down but if you do you don't want to take the next few riders with you. Add water wetter and change back to anti-freeze in the winter if your climate dictates it.

Check the track for lock wire requirements. Most req oil fill and drain plug. Some req caliper bolts and axle. Just. Depends on the location or track day sponsor.

Other than that, make sure you have a good helmet that meets snell/dot req. have fun and learn something new. Be prepared to get hooked and start spending more money to it again. It is addictive.

People tend to fixate on it. If I come up behind you and have picked my line around you, it often will spook the person overtaking when you suddenly hit the brakes. Just an unnecessary distraction. Usually not required but more of a curteousy to others.

Also, not required to disconnect the tail light, you can just tape over it. But it may still be visible.

Disconnecting the headlight isn't a bad idea either. The glue on the tape can get messy after a few hours of headlight heat

Here you need a set of leathers, either one or two piece are ok but non matching pants and jacket I don't think would fly?
This is only thing really stopping me. There is a track day next weekend I plan on going to just to hang out and see it, only a few mins away from my home. It's at PBIR, Palm Beach Intl Raceway.
They sometimes have leathers you can rent at the track. Check into it before you lay out a bunch of cash.

I personally couldn't imagine wearing rental leathers. I know how sweaty mine get.... also very that if you crash you don't have to buy them anyway. That would suck as i'm sure you wouldnt get to keep them. There are some decent brands that can be found for fairly cheap. Not to mention, it isn't a bad investment when your talking about your safety. Look for clearance items. I have seen 1 pc suits go for less than $400 just because they werent cool anymore.

Each trackday provider is different, but STT"s rules seem to be pretty representative. The novice rules are normally more lenient. Once you've done a trackday you'll have this all figured out, the most important thing to do is - JUST DO IT.

Gear:
- Good helmet
- Decent leather gauntlet gloves
- you dont' have to have 1 piece leathers (btw I have a suit I need to sell) - but you do need the 2 piece to fully zip together.
- Decent set of boots

Bike:
- 80% of tire remaining (and don't run old or cheap tires)
- In novice usually normal coolant is ok (but check for sure)
- cover all glass w/tape - unhook low beam - you can tape mirrors but i recommend removing.
- usually a bead of high-temp silicone on drain plug, oil filter and oil filler plug is acceptable.

The most important thing is just to get out and DO IT~!

Also, not required to disconnect the tail light, you can just tape over it. But it may still be visible.

Disconnecting the headlight isn't a bad idea either. The glue on the tape can get messy after a few hours of headlight heat

Gaffers tape will not create this kind of mess. Goes on easy and comes off easy.

Back