Whats best to clean and/or lube a chain

A different way to spin the wheel while applying lube.

I'd NEVER run the engine to turn the wheel, but I find this way works good for me, and is safe. I put this tool in my cordless drill, and push it against the tire. It spins it at the exact speed I want, and is a steady, consistant speed so the lube is applied evenly. It's a Smart Eraser Pad by Astro, used for pinstripe removal, a body shop tool. It's made of pencil eraser rubber.
Works for me!
AST400E.jpg
[/IMG]

Once I switched to Dupont Chain Saver, I have not needed to use kerosene at all. I spin the wheel in the forward direction slowly and spray so the lube runs through the chain, down the back side of the sprocket, and drips off the bottom. I use a piece of cardboard with a U shaped slot in it to protect the wheel/hub from getting sprayed. The old lube/dirt comes right off and leaves the chain clean and lubed. I usually go around twice, let the chain sit for a few minutes then wipe off the excess with a rag. I have not had to adjust my chain for a long time and it looks clean and shiny! Du pont is like 7 bucks at Wal Mart and I can clean my chain about ten times this way with one can.

This is my exact method. No kerosene needed. Dupont Blue can is self cleaning. Just wipe with a rag. VERY easy.

The chainsaver yellow can has more lube in it than the blue can. Either one will work fine. I like the lower lube blue can but have used the yellow too. It is self cleaning all you need is a rag to wrap around the chain as you turn the wheel with your hand. Then lube it up again.

Kerosene is what is listed in the Manual, but as noted in the responses it's kind of hard to find / get.

I use Diesel and Maxium Chain Wax.

WD40 can be and is hard on the X / O Rings. WD40 is a Water Displacement Foumula 40 that has found Many other Non Intended Uses. Since it can Penetrate and remove Water, it can alos Penetrate past the Rings and Displace the Lubricant that is injected for the Pins of the Chain. The Rings hold this Lubricant in, and all you are really doing is Lubricating the outside of the Rollers, Sprocket Teeth and Sideplates.

Diesel is easy to find, cheep and is Milder as a Cleaning Solvent than Kerosene. I refer to a Fractionating Tower - Petroleum Gas at the Top, Gasoline, Kerosene, Diesel, then Fuel Oil. As you move down the Tower, the Cleaning Properties become Milder.

So, Soak / Spray the chain, clean with Rags or Brush - Do Not do this with the Engine Running and in Gear!

Then Allow the Chain to Dry, a shot of Compressed Air will help Blow Off the Diesel Residue. Then Take it around the block to Warm the Chain, then some Chain Wax. You only need a Smidge between the Rollers and the Sprocket.

Not Trying to Start War with People that use WD 40, as I used it myself for Years. But I did take apart my last Chain (Ek), and looked at the Pins and the Lube was Gone.

Stealth

Strife said:
Like others said! NEVER a GOOD idea to run your engine in gear while attempting to clean. To many chances of something bad happening. I don't care how pro you feel you are. It's not worth the risk.

I use a $3 grill brush that way my hands are away from the moving parts. Idle in first gear.

1. ride bike til chain warm
2. rear stand, neutral
3. kerosene and grunch brush and old soft nylon paintbrush
4. rotate tire with rag to clean off kerosene
5. Dupont
Love the pickle thing ... gotta try it!! Who knew?

the grunge brush is absolutely amazing and only like $12... i use wd40 scrub with grunge brush all you have to do is put it on rear stand and spin the rear tire while holding it against the chain and then lube

Kero to clean and sometimes 80/90 gear lube it does a marvellous job off cleaning and lubing the chain at the same time :thumbsup:

I use WD-40 and a soft bristle brush and a rag to clean a warm chain and sprocket faces, I then use Chain Wax (Maxima brand) I have done this method for more chains than I can remember with good results.

If I haven't ridden the bike to warm the chain, I have a ceramic heater I use to warm it.

Back