Whats best to clean and/or lube a chain

Big canno Wd40 to blast it clean, wipe and let dry/evap for a bit and then go for short ride maybe five minutes. Come back and immediately put it on rear stand, while chain is still warm and spin and soak with the DuPont Teflon stuff from lowes, blue can. Gives me a chain even Sleepless Red would envy :laugh:

What he said.:thumbsup:

Hey wait a minute... Are you supposed to wash off the kerosene? I just ride it for a bit to warm the chain then spray on the lube. Also, I haven't used the brush since the first time I cleaned it. I don't know what the original owner was putting on there but now it doesn't get dirty at all. Just gets a light coat of what looks like brake dust.

What timing, I just got through cleaning my chain after 18 miles off road in the dirt. Here's what I do, takes all of 10 minuets:

1. Put bike on rear stand.
2. Start engine and put in 2nd gear.
3. While wheel is going around, spray on kerosene from a spray bottle and leave to soak for a few minuets.
4. Repeat #2 and use a grunge brush from Cyclegear (need to be very careful here) to clean chain then use a cotton towel to remove kerosene from chain
5. Done!

Please don't clean your chain with engine running and in gear. Folks lose fingers very easily that way. Sprockets are totally unforgiving and will chew em right off quick.

Please don't clean your chain with engine running and in gear. Folks lose fingers very easily that way. Sprockets are totally unforgiving and will chew em right off quick.

+ 1 MILLION. There was a reason why I specified in my reply to SPIN THE REAR TIRE BY HAND or else, may I present EXHIBIT A

However, also perfectly OK to spin the tire USING YOUR FEET also :)

Tooth Brush
Kerosene
Shid load of rags
Dupont Teflon Chain Wax Spray (blue can)

Spray down with Dupont and wipe with rags every 600 miles.
Clean with kerosene/tooth brush every oil change (2500 miles).

I do what most here have said.

Get the chain warm.
Jack up the rear. (I use a floor jack because I'm stretched and stands either don't work or are sketchy, like the bike might fall. So I jack up the right side of the bike and use the kickstand and jack to get the rear tire up. Or recently I've been jacking up the rear while the front tire is in a stand. This takes pressure off the kickstand.)

Spin by hand, 2-3 coats on the chain with kerosene. (can use the master link as a guide)

Using the grunge brush, roll 4-5 times around the chain with the brush. (be sure the bottom is seated and cleaning, not just the sides! Looking clean on the sides isn't as important as getting the junk away from the O-rings and where the chain and sprockets come into contact)

Spray the crap out of all sides of the chain, 3-4 passes with Kerosene. (Do this outside, the ground is going to get dirty and the fumes are not safe in a closed area.)

Couple passes with a shop towel to clean.

Let dry or go for a SHORT ride (don't want to be riding long on a totally dry/non-lubed chain. The kerosene doesn't take too long to just air dry)

Raise rear again, spray a couple coats of whatever lube/wax you want. (Let sit for 10-15mins at least)

-Extra step- Take another short ride, then come back and spray one more coat just to make sure you've hit everything.

-Notes- (1) Watch your rubber shoes in the kerosene! :laugh: I've accidentally stepped in some and then watched layers of that particular shoe come off on the concrete.
(2) Don't track your tires through the dirty kerosene on the ground! It'll wear them down too. I either pull the bike through the puddle while it's on the stand/jack, missing the tires, or last week I put a bit of old carpet over the puddle and walked the bike over it.

1. Short ride tk warm chain and with bike on rear stand soak small rag with kerosene
2. Rotate tire BY HAND, never start your engine and put in gear, and hold rag around chain and wipe it down thoroughly.
3. Grab a clean rag and wipe off and spin the chain with compressed air blowing from the inside out. Wipe clean again.

4. I haven't seen this mentioned yet, spray your chain with lube from the inside out. It will fling it as it rotates and push the lube through the whole chain. For years I just sprayed the outside if the chain so half of it wasn't lubed as well as it should be.

Be careful not to get kerosene or lube on the outside of your tire and go ride and enjoy!

Where do you buy kerosene?

Is it by the gallon or in a spray bottle?

It is sold by the gallon.

Some gas stations have it. Often in rural areas where it may be used on farms or where people may use kerosene heaters in their homes.

Aside from that, I think most if not all of the Ace Hardware stores around here sell it.

Like others said! NEVER a GOOD idea to run your engine in gear while attempting to clean. To many chances of something bad happening. I don't care how pro you feel you are. It's not worth the risk.

So I went to Home Depot today to buy this... 1 Gal. Kerosene Plastic-GKP85 at The Home Depot

I was told that it was in overhead stock and to try a gas station for some kerosene. I said I didn't want to buy a special can for it and just wanted to buy the 1 gallon bottle they sell. They said, "sorry."

The website shows that they have 26 in stock, so I just bought a bottle online and scheduled my pick-up at the same store at 8:00 AM. We'll see what happens. :whistle:

So I went to Home Depot today to buy this... 1 Gal. Kerosene Plastic-GKP85 at The Home Depot

I was told that it was in overhead stock and to try a gas station for some kerosene. I said I didn't want to buy a special can for it and just wanted to buy the 1 gallon bottle they sell. They said, "sorry."

The website shows that they have 26 in stock, so I just bought a bottle online and scheduled my pick-up at the same store at 8:00 AM. We'll see what happens. :whistle:

Yea, that stuff, for some reason, is very hard to find in my neck of the woods. I finally did find a gallon at Home Depot. It works great by the way and a gallon will likely last me ten years. :laugh:

Like others said! NEVER a GOOD idea to run your engine in gear while attempting to clean. To many chances of something bad happening. I don't care how pro you feel you are. It's not worth the risk.

Good point, in future I'll turn the wheel with me foot or hand with the engine off.

Yea, that stuff, for some reason, is very hard to find in my neck of the woods. I finally did find a gallon at Home Depot. It works great by the way and a gallon will likely last me ten years. :laugh:

Well I got it. I guess they were just being lazy bastids yesterday. :laugh:

This is not the first time I've had this happen either. I go to the store looking for something that the website says is in stock, but it's magically unavailable once I get there. Funny how the item always shows up once it has already been paid for though.

Once I switched to Dupont Chain Saver, I have not needed to use kerosene at all. I spin the wheel in the forward direction slowly and spray so the lube runs through the chain, down the back side of the sprocket, and drips off the bottom. I use a piece of cardboard with a U shaped slot in it to protect the wheel/hub from getting sprayed. The old lube/dirt comes right off and leaves the chain clean and lubed. I usually go around twice, let the chain sit for a few minutes then wipe off the excess with a rag. I have not had to adjust my chain for a long time and it looks clean and shiny! Du pont is like 7 bucks at Wal Mart and I can clean my chain about ten times this way with one can.

Back