Chain lube

karnage

Registered
Yesterday at work I was talking with one of our vendors who deals with chains,bearings,seals etc and asked about roller o-ring chains.I want to do a stretch on my buse but dont like the chain the kit comes with.He has diamond chain made in the USA and says its very strong.He schooled me a bit on chains.The roller chains are prelubed from the factory internally and that for 500 miles or so should never be rode hard so the chain can break in and keep the lube behind the o-rings in.He said if you romp on it too soon, the lube with fling out and the chain will de-grade from there.So basically, we lube the outter chain for the external surfaces.He also says to just wipe the chain off with a rag and not to use any solvents unless its compatable with the internal lube.Also says not to mix chain lubes which makes sense.I havent gotten the quote on the chain yet but he says its spendy.Hopefull I get a discount thru work.

I don't lube o-ring chains, other than keeping the o-rings healthy with a rubber lubricant.

"...The roller chains are prelubed from the factory internally and that for 500 miles or so should never be rode hard so the chain can break in and keep the lube behind the o-rings in.He said if you romp on it too soon, the lube with fling out and the chain will de-grade from there..."

Something he said just makes no sense. The grease is held by the rubber O-rings. The reason it is held is because every O-ring is sqeezed between the plates thus creating a seal. Anyone who at least once installed a master link would know what I am talking about.

Not clear why such seal would be poor at first, and why would it get better after 500 miles of easy riding.

Also, what does it mean a diamond chain? The entire chain is made of diamonds. Or it's a regular chain, but covered with something. The name of the chain just makes no sense.

For example, a diamond glass cutter makes perfect sense. A small and sharp piece of diamond is attached to the handle, and cuts the glass. That makes sense.

Diamond is the company.Made in the US.I think he meant to break it in so everything stretches properly and seats up.He is the chain expert so I thought it made sense.

So my vendor calls me for the price.$130 for 150 link oring chain.Better price than the KMC that they offer with the kit.

BallZ, one of our site sponsors can help you out with a good deal on a good chain

I am going to order the nickle plated o-ring chain.I think its more but at least it wont rust and will look better.I ordered to plain steel chain by accident but he will get me what I want.Ball Z has a good price on the chains as well.Figured I would give my business locally first.

I think $130 is pretty good for 150 links. Never heard about the company though. I've gone with DID X-ring Gold chain, and also used their O-ring chains in the past with no issues. 112 link chain cost IIRC around $120.

I kept the chain a bit on a loose side, and never babied the bike. No stretch after a couple of years and about 10k miles, including a number of track days, and I always ride aggressively.

He didnt give no numbers or ratings of the chain? "Very Strong" Ok is this chain used in industrial machinery? Maybe running a 3phase 35HP motor? I would need more numbers and see that the chain has been tested at all before putting it on a 200hp / 200mph motorcycle.

Chain life is all in the adjustment especially on stretched bikes most people do not know how to adjust them which leads to premature failure. as for not lubing a chain well to each his own but I use this it works its cheap and it doesn't fling.

dupont_chainlube.jpg

Its a motorsports chain 530 roller o-ring chain.Look up diamond chain.They make good stuff.The tensil strength was 9300 I believe and they have a nickle or brass plated.I like that its made in the US.I dont think they use a 520/530 pitch chain in industrial applications at least I have never seen it used in my almost 15 years in being a millwright.

Chain life is all in the adjustment especially on stretched bikes most people do not know how to adjust them which leads to premature failure. as for not lubing a chain well to each his own but I use this it works its cheap and it doesn't fling.

dupont_chainlube.jpg

+1 - Same here, Dupont lube is :thumbsup:

And yes, good maintenance leads to a long chain life. My last chain made it to 33k miles, which is pretty good on a 180 rwhp bike IMO. And the chain was still within spec, and the sprockets were not bad at all when I did change it. Honestly I probably could have gotten 40k out of it.

Just clean and adjust your chain regularly, and make sure you are adjusting properly. Should have about an inch to and inch and half of full up to full down play at the slackest point. Chain should be cleaned with Kerosene, hosed of lightly, then lubed when done to displace water.

+1 - Same here, Dupont lube is :thumbsup:

Chain Lube 002.jpg

And yes, good maintenance leads to a long chain life. Just clean and adjust your chain regularly, and make sure you are adjusting properly. Should have about an inch to and inch and half of full up to full down play at the slackest point. Chain should be cleaned with Kerosene, hosed of lightly, then lubed when done to displace water.

+100 :thumbsup:

Chain Lube 002.jpg

Back