whats the best chain lube?

tourbus

Registered
ok ok im sure this has been asked before but whats the best lubricant for a chain? the problem is my dad, my girlfriends bikes, amd my bikes are rusting the chains up, we all clean and lube them with maxima chain wax but they are rusting after sitting for a week or so,its kinda odd we've never had this happen before.

I use Bel Ray. They have quite a few products. I use the one of the oil types, not a fan of waxes. The one I use is quite tacky but not as thick as wax.

WD-40 14,000 miles and counting on this chain! Flame on!
laugh.gif

Yeah, not sure why you would get rust on your chain if your oiling it.  Is it getting wet alot?
ya we clean with kerosene and lube with chain wax, i dont get it, this is the first time we have experinced this, the chains have a small surface rust on them. the bikes i noticed get some moisture from our flaky weather maybe thats the culprit.

If you use kerosene, make sure it is COMPLETELY dry before you put any lubes on it. Otherwise, the kerosene will just shed the lube and you're left with bare chain.

Just a thought. . . .

--Wag--

I use Maxima chain wax too with no rusting problems. Use Bel Ray chain lube on the dirt bike, stuff is a mess to use but will coat the chain (and everything else in the immediate vicinity)against about anything.

I like the Motorex products...

Motoline Chain Clean 611 just washes grime away.

Motoline Chain Lube 622 Strong...keeps chain nice and sticky with very little sling.

I like the Motorex products...

Motoline Chain Clean 611 just washes grime away.

Motoline Chain Lube 622 Strong...keeps chain nice and sticky with very little sling.
Now you're talking! The only thing I do differently is to use the "RACE" chain lube. Their cleaner and lube combo just plain works!
thumb_up.gif

I put my bike up on the rear stand wrap a rag around the chain on top next to the chain guard, clean the chain with a rag while spinning the wheel, I spray WD40 on the chain starting at the master link and spin the wheel until the master link comes around 3 times, dont worry about making a mess the rag will catch the excess WD40, then I wipe the chain dry with a rag, then I put 1 drop of 50wt oil on each link, I do this every 300 miles or every weekend which ever comes first, it only takes about 10 minutes to clean and lube my chain which is on my 06 busa with 28000 miles and it still looks new, when I replace my rear tire, about every 3500 miles with a new M3 I clean the chain real good with kerosine and soak it in 50wt oil and check each link to see if they move freely.

Why would any 1 want to spray thick gunkey wax on a chain, it just makes a mess of things and is hard to clean up.

There are lots of ways to clean and lube a chain...this is just the way I do it, flame on...
2cents.gif

Back