What's a good laptop for under $500?

Yea, that's the only problem with Ipads, you cant create something and download it to a flash drive or CD or something. But for playing on Internet and using it for "useless crap" as you said, there great. If you haven't played with a Laptop that has Windows 8 on it I would. Go to somewhere like Bestbuy or a local computer shop and get a Demo on it, its totally different. You may be able to find some old stock of Laptops that may have Windows 7 on it.

While I have, and still do use my ipad for wordprocessing, its certainly not ideal...the setup I use is a Zaggmate Bluetooth keyboard, along with the Office HD app, which is integrated nicely with dropbox. It's not a bad solution for someone wanting to turn the ipad into a pseudo laptop for office use, but the objection I would have wouldn't be its supposed lack of function in that department, but as Fireman aptly put it, it's overwhelming capability for hosting apps designed to do nothing but waste time with...sure, you can find plenty of software to waste time with on a traditional laptop too, but the ipad seems to prodive that much more effortlessly. xD

Cool guys thanks for the links and advice.
Last computer I bought was about seven yrs ago.

My main reason for not wanting to go iPad route is that you can't really create word documents or PDF files to be used later for school reports and projects. An iPad will def get used more for useless crap than making herself better which is what I don't want.
I have a MacBook and the guy at Best buy (Mac Rep) downloaded a thing called Openoffice.org for me. You can do all kind of spread sheets, Text Doc., Presentation, Database and a few others with it. It was free and works great. HSN also has them as well New Apple Wi-Fi 4th Generation iPad Bundle with Retina Display - Black or White at HSN.com with Flex pay :laugh: Thats what I like :thumbsup:

please dont spend your money on older tegnology thats almost as cheap as newer. also if you ask me, stay away from hp, compaq, acer. if you get a dell get little higher end model of the inspiron or xps, lenovos are not bad but still stuck in the past as far as design.

have in mind that we are in the 3rd generation of I3 i5 i7 processors you dont want to buy something older for pretty much the same price, i see ppl buying all this awesome deals at walmart best buy etc and at the end they are getting first gen i3 and even older dual core computers and they get a sad face everytime we tell them they bought junk.

look i just bought this laptop and to me it was the best one out of everything i could find. benchmarks for the processor is great, 4gb of memory is more than enough now days 8gb could be added if you want to upgrade later on, etc but overall this the best i found and ASUS is an awsome brand.

wish this one was listed a week a go because i had to get a special from tiger direct at $545 shipped right now its 579plus taxes and shipping
Asus F75A EH51 Notebook Intel Core i5 17 3" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD New Open Box | eBay

Back