What would you do in this situation

badboysbailagnt

Donating Member
Registered
Ok about a year ago my friend came to me and asked me if i could get him and his wife a cell phone using my name and they would pay the bills. Well they were doing fine and they were having some very large phone bills. Well it comes down to this he stop callin me and is trying to avoid me now. He owes me 1200 dollars. I had the phones turned off and it cost me 350 dollars to cut them off because of breach of contract. I have called him several times and said look i know your low on cash ill settle for 500 and we call it even. Well guess what he is still avoiding me. Im seriously thinking about taking a truck and a big chain and snatching his pos single wide trailer of the foundation. Everytime this guy sees me he jumps in his mamas mustang and runs so fast its not even funny becasue he knows ill beat his as* over this. Leagly I know im fcked though. One way or another i WILL win

... Everytime this guy sees me he jumps in his mamas mustang and runs so fast its not even funny...
You ride a Busa, right?
tounge.gif

but seriously, it sux. Sorry to hear it, bro.
mad.gif

Umm, you may wanna just ask an attorney about it. I realize that on paper it's all you, but a lawyer may be able to do some thing since there was a 'verbal contract' from your friend to pay the bills. Further, the phone was never in your possesion...

or... claim the phone was lost and those aren't your calls...

<!--EDIT|omslaw
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128699766 -->

Ok about a year ago my friend came to me and asked me if i could get him and his wife a cell phone using my name and they would pay the bills. Well they were doing fine and they were having some very large phone bills. Well it comes down to this he stop callin me and is trying to avoid me now. He owes me 1200 dollars. I had the phones turned off and it cost me 350 dollars to cut them off because of breach of contract. I have called him several times and said look i know your low on cash ill settle for 500 and we call it even. Well guess what he is still avoiding me. Im seriously thinking about taking a truck and a big chain and snatching his pos single wide trailer of the foundation. Everytime this guy sees me he jumps in his mamas mustang and runs so fast its not even funny becasue he knows ill beat his as* over this. Leagly I know im fcked though. One way or another i WILL win
Seriously..

I have the following rules.

1) if someone asks me for money, I give it to them if I can afford to be without it. And even if they say it is a loan, I never expect to get the money back. if I do get it back, I am happy and I will loan them money again. If I dont get it back, I dont get upset because I never expected it back. And that is one less person in the world I will ever have to loan money to again because for one, someone who owes you money will rarely ask you for more until they have paid you back. For two if they do ask you for money again, you can bring up they still owe you

2) Now for your specific situation. I would never be in that situation because I would NEVER put myself on the line for someone in that manner. My own daughter (whom I never raised) asked me to co-sign for a car. I said no. I told her I would give her money to help with a down payment. But I never see her, I have no control over her life and if she decided to stop making payments (which in her situation would be a very likely scenario, I would be screwed)

You have to help people out when you can, that is what this world is all about, but you need to do it while covering your six and not putting yourself at risk.

If it was life or death, that is one thing. But putting you credit on the line so someone can have a cell phone. That is not something I would do.

Ok, I know that sounded like chastising but it wasnt, it was explaining my position so I can give you the answer you asked for.

I would forget it. Pay the bill and realize what kind of friend this person is NOT and go on with your life.

This is currently drama in your life, get rid of it ASAP, life is too short to deal with drama.

You can't squeeze blood from a turnup, and you cant make someone have any kind of code of honor or force them to live up to a bargain.

Chalk it up as a cheap learning experiance (you could have co-signed for a car and really got screwed).

So pay the bill off, write the guy a letter and drop it off in his mail box stating something to the fact that:

"It really hurts that someone I thought was a friend has treated me this way. I went out on a limb to help you and you screwed me. Dont worry about paying me back. I have taken care of it. I just hope the few hundred dollars you screwed me out of was worth our friendship, and if it was I guess we did not have that good of a friendship in the first place"

And then move on and just in the future realize when you put your neck out for someone, it is YOUR head that can get chopped off, not theirs...

Just my .02

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128708391 -->

Excellent post, trasher... my views exactly.

I may add if you ever meet him at a party to kick his ass.. lol!

Drama sucks. I always try to tell all the "half empty" folks in the world to be a "half full" person.

For instance, my mom lives in a condo.. all old folks. She was here for our baby shower and told us a story of an old man that lost control of his car in the parking lot and smashed up 4 cars pretty good.

She said "If I would have left for work a few minutes earlier I would be dead because I would have been in the car when he hit..."

I told her (in front of my whole family, where the drama always takes precidence) that she should insteal say "Thank God I wasn't in the car. My guardian angel was with me that day".

Needless to say the conversation stopped, everyone looked at me like "who's this Jesus freak? But he has a point.. ahh.. yes! Positivity, I've been watching reality TV so much I forgot it existed."

LOL!

We walk by faith, not by site.
smile.gif

LoL yes i have a busa but i should not have to chase him down
Im just going to forget about it. I do hate being pissed off and he knows how i am so he is going to avoid me at all cost. Plus im gettin older now 5 years ago i would have gone to jail by now but i have matured. Thrasher that was a good post thanks

BBBA,Don't sweat it if you lost him over $1200 imagine what would happen if he stayed your friend he may have gotten you for more.go to small claims court.

Superglue and Happy-Meal characters always make for a nice hood display
wink.gif

Automotive paint stripper in a ballon makes a mess on cars also
wow.gif

***DISCLAIMER: This is a joke
laugh.gif

...wear gloves to eliminate finger prints on the toy arrangement and outside of the balloon.

I would still talk to an attourney, or if nothing else, file a grievance with the phone comapny. They should be able to tell which cell towers his calls go through. If it is far enough from you, it can be proven that you didn't make the calls, because there's no way you would access those towers to initiate the call.

Also, the bills/phone company should have a list of numbers that were called or that called him. If you can prove you don't know people at those numbers, well then...

I would check with an attourney. You could nail him in small claims court ($1500 is under SCC, yes?), or the phone company could get him for fraud.

just an idea.

If you have a personal attorney, have him send the guy a letter. Im willing to bet if he cant afford a cell phone and lives a a pos single wide , he probably is not very educated and cannot afford his own attorney to deal with the matter. Most likely the letter will scare him into paying you or at least contact you or the attornay about it.

(BTW - no offense to anyone that lives in a single wide - he and I did say POS single wide - which shows neglect and carelessness on his part )

Disclaimer: I live in KC...this is KS law, dunno about NC; but should be fairly universal, in this instance.

Ok, I just talked with wifey...

She says take him to Small Claims Court. Yes, on paper, you are responsible to the phone company. However, you had a verbal contract with him; he would have the phone in his possesion and he would pay the bills. The phone records should show that the phone calls placed and received from that device are HIS, not yours. She said that you should be able to collect the $$$ from him.

You should write to The Peoples Court and see if they'll take the case!
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|omslaw
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128737854 -->

I'll go with Thrasher on this one .. but I'd still exact a little personal ''revenge''.... nothing too major. Just so I can still smile to myself in the mirror...

thats for the reply guys im just going to let it go... But in due time i will get my revenge. Paint thinner in a water ballon hmmmm lol

I'm going to go with omslaw on this one. I've seen many cases like this, good thing about small claims is that your case just has to be more than likely true based on the evidence - which phone records will prove. Even if you don'tdo a People's Court thing, you should take him/them to small claims, with phone records it should be a pretty easy case.

That sucks man. Try to help out a friend and get screwed.
I had just started a new job when a younger fellow who was hired after me hit me up for 20 bucks. He told me a sob story about the baby needing milk. He was kind of a punker dude so I thought it was all bs. On pay day he was up front and centre with my 20. He turned out to be a standup guy and we became good friends. You just never know.
Sometimes you gotta take a chance on people.
Don't let one bad experience sour you on everyone.

<!--EDIT|oldguy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128747939 -->

Thrasher already said it dude. This cat is NOT your friend.

The first clue to your bad decision is that he and his wife could not get a cel phone on thier own.

Pay YOUR bill and get on with your life. DO NOT SCREW UP YOUR CREDIT.

Take care of you. And do not put yourself in this position again.

Its more than likely this guy doesnt have the money. Let it go...and remember you could be in his position someday...you never know. The money will come back to you in another way, just dont create hatred or bad feelings over something as meaningless as money.

Hope for him to come into better times. Someday the roles may be reversed...or you may need assistance that you never expected that is worth far more than money...

And someone may be there for you and not expect to be repaid.

Seeking some type of revenge is a horrible thing to do, - and it is much more offensive than anything he did to you. Dont shame yourself.

<!--EDIT|HayaVegas
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128759622 -->

Back