What would you do in this situation?

Longstone

Registered
I know this is a little long-winded but please try to read through and post your feedback. I could really use it right now.

I have an '04 Nissan Titan with 83,800 miles on it. When I purchased it used I also purchased an extended warranty which covers me until the end of 2010 or 90,000 miles. Well on my way out Saturday I noticed my engine rev'ing but wasn't going very far. I didn't even get out of my subdivision and turned around and called the tow company to tow my truck into the local Nissan place.

So my truck is sitting at the Nissan service center and apparently this is this long drawn out process of diagnosing the problem, then reporting it to the extended warranty company, having the company the warranty is with send out an inspector to determine the actual problem, then approving of the repairs. I figure no problem I only drive the truck when it's extremely bad weather anyway.

Well after 2 days I get a call back from the Nissan dealership indicating the company my extended warranty is through denied the claim and that I'd have to approve of and pay for the repairs myself.

According to the inspector the warranty company sent out my transmission cooler failed, caused the transmission fluid to leak out and burned up the clutch, rendered the cylinoids in-operable.(their verbiage not mine). Basically my truck will need several thousands of $$$ to get the tranny replaced. When I asked the warranty company they said because the failure was do to a non-covered part (the cooler) and it damaged parts that were covered (all moving parts including transmission & engine), nothing is now covered and I have no right to a claim.

This just doesn't seem right to me, and I've done all I believe I can do at this point with the Capitol Warranty Corp. (company my extended warranty is with). They seem to be pretty certain they are not going to process a claim. I've already got a call in with the Nissan Dealership as to rather they can tell for certain the failure was caused from the transmission cooler but until I hear from them I'm kinda in limbo.

I know this is long winded, but if you took the time to read it all I'd really appreciate any guidance you can give me. I've paid for this extended warranty, never had a single minute of trouble with the truck (so never had to file a claim) and now when I need them most I feel like they've turned their back on me.

Last edited:
That's why I never bother with those. Your best bet might be to cancel the policy and get a refund. Put that toward fixing the tranny.

Wow.....perhaps the dying tranny blew the cooler ??? Swell warranty. Get some beer, a junkyard tranny (with warranty) and wrench one in yourself. Get the balance of the warranty back by cancelling it. Unless you are (or married) a lawyer... ???

Extended warranties through outsourced agencies are typically like this. My father had a similar problem with his warranty. I would fight all you can but basically it sounds like your SOL bro. Good luck

I know this is a little long-winded but please try to read through and post your feedback. I could really use it right now.

I have an '04 Nissan Titan with 83,800 miles on it. When I purchased it used I also purchased an extended warranty which covers me until the end of 2010 or 90,000 miles. Well on my way out Saturday I noticed my engine rev'ing but wasn't going very far. I didn't even get out of my subdivision and turned around and called the tow company to tow my truck into the local Nissan place.

So my truck is sitting at the Nissan service center and apparently this is this long drawn out process of diagnosing the problem, then reporting it to the extended warranty company, having the company the warranty is with send out an inspector to determine the actual problem, then approving of the repairs. I figure no problem I only drive the truck when it's extremely bad weather anyway.

Well after 2 days I get a call back from the Nissan dealership indicating the company my extended warranty is through denied the claim and that I'd have to approve of and pay for the repairs myself.

According to the inspector the warranty company sent out my transmission cooler failed, caused the transmission fluid to leak out and burned up the clutch, rendered the cylinoids in-operable.(their verbiage not mine). Basically my truck will need several thousands of $$$ to get the tranny replaced. When I asked the warranty company they said because the failure was do to a non-covered part (the cooler) and it damaged parts that were covered (all moving parts including transmission & engine), nothing is now covered and I have no right to a claim.

This just doesn't seem right to me, and I've done all I believe I can do at this point with the Capitol Warranty Corp. (company my extended warranty is with). They seem to be pretty certain they are not going to process a claim. I've already got a call in with the Nissan Dealership as to rather they can tell for certain the failure was caused from the transmission cooler but until I hear from them I'm kinda in limbo.

I know this is long winded, but if you took the time to read it all I'd really appreciate any guidance you can give me. I've paid for this extended warranty, never had a single minute of trouble with the truck (so never had to file a claim) and now when I need them most I feel like they've turned their back on me.

Dude, I so feel your pain. I had something similiar happen to our Oldsmobile Bravada 4X4. I found it best to raise cain in the dealership until they provided me the corporate number. Long story short I called the Corporate headquarters and persisted to speak with each person's manager until I got someone on the phone to help me. The manager at the Corp office finally offered to pay 1/3, have the dealership pay 1/3 and I paid 1/3. It wasn't what I originally wanted, but I was willing to bend some if they were. Good luck and just remember the skeaky wheel gets the grease! :thumbsup:

I have bought extended warranties on most vehicles, simply because I eat mileage like it's going out of style. I have 76,000 miles on my '07 Avalanche. But to be honest, I have only once had a major warranty repair ($3000 worth) during all my adult life, and it was while under factory warranty, not extended. I suspect that was the driving force behind my desire to always buy these extended warranties.

Anyway, I would break out the warranty paperwork and go over it with a magnifying glass. Ask them to show you where this item is not covered. They are obligated to show this to you in writing. If they cannot, you need to tell them your next step is the county courthouse and $50-$100 later you're going to have them in court.

That's just how warrenty companies work. We used to have one particular adjuster come to our shop who would NEVER accept a claim. Not once. The service mannager finally called the warrenty company and told them never to send him back. Here's the thing. The guy that denies the most claims, gets sent out the most. If he denies it, the company doesn't have to pay. Regardless of whether or not it's the ethical thing to do, it's done quite often. If you don't have the certifications (ASE Automatic Trans., or something like it) to make your word or diagnosis credible, then all you can go on is what their adjuster says. I seriously doubt that they'll care what the service department says. I've never seen any that did. I could submit a repair to the warrenty company, but they would never approve it till an adjuster came out. If he or she found any way around it, the customer got screwed. What I WOULD do is check for a leak in the trans cooler yourself. If there's not one, then you know it's a bogus statement. Although, if the cooler is made into the radiator, you probably won't be able to check it.

Oh, and do you do any heavy towing with the truck? Have you ever had the trans flushed? You said you only drive it when the weather is really bad, but do you use it for anything other than simple commuting?

Looks like with you getting close to the 90k mark, they're trying to hold off on having to pay anything and get some free money. Tell them sense the tranny cooler isn't covered, you'll take care of that, but the can take care of the tranny that is covered.

Extended warranties through outside companies are SNAKE OIL. I would report them to anyone willing to listen.
News media, better business bureau, etc.
Then letter the back window of your pick up with a statement referring to the bad service you received from the dealer. Drive back and forth in front of the stealership on Saturdays when the most new customers are on the lot. :rofl::rofl:

I don't tow anything with the truck. I've towned a little bass boat once or twice.

And the dealership has been outstanding through this entire thing. Even said I could leave the truck on the lot until I decided to get it fixed, or go through a process to get the warranty company to pay.

I am certain you didn't go looking on the internet for the warranty that the dealership had a hand in providing the information. I think you're recourse right now is to plan the following very carefully..... ask for a meeting with the dealership manager the highest level. Explain that just like in civil cases the defense brings in an expert witness and the prosecution does the same. The prosecutors (warranty people) bring in their expert now you go get a mechanic certified in transmissions and see if he agrees. If he does not agree with the warranty company then gather all your revelant information and present it to the dealership manager. Tell him the dealership has some culpability because they are basically an agent for the warranty company. Tell the manager you would like to see a history of warranty claims so that you can determine if they are fair in declining or accepting the claims or if their is a pattern of larger more expensive claims being denied. He may give you a hard time about the records but you can come back with either " let me see them or let my lawyer see them". Don't try and be pushy and really try and be nice. It's easier to try and help someone who they genuinely feel sympathy for rather than another Joe Public Arse they have to deal with. Your backup plan would be to retain a lawyer to pursue this while your either fixing your truck (or buy low cost inexpensive car). I'd call the better business bureau and I'd notify the local news outlets about the treatment. Now if the warranty is handled by a group that you purchased not tied into the dealership then you have to go directly to the lawyer thing. Hope this helps. Wardie

You are out of mileage under you factory powertrain warranty. So, I would try this...

If you have been doing your scheduled maintenance through the dealership, they will tend to work with you more on the cost of repairs. Kinda of the you've been scratching our back so we will return the favor. Maybe you can work something between the the dealer and the the warranty company on a 50/50 deal. And, if it is a certified Nissian extended warranty, get corporate customer service involved as well that may help. Used statements like this makes you question the quality of the nissan brand, this will be the last nissan I will buy because of the poor warranty service.

This is BS: I am Kinda in the same Business. Call the Warranty Company and tell them You are Going to send out an Independant Inspector of your Own. Out of Pocket Expense is about 100-250 Bones, but worth it when you are talkin about paying a Few Thousand for a Transmission. Then Threaten to take them to court........................No Dealership or Auto Repair Place Wants or NEEDS BAD PUBLICITY Right Now........Believe me I know. Chances are they will Approve your claim and shut the case. I Personally got on a Three Way Phone Conversation with the Dealer and the Warranty Company with my Wife's New Beetle and Got things Done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck

Also might try calling the local news station and ask for their consumer help line.

However, if the trans is out of fluid then thats on you. Yeah I know I rarely check mine, but, if the truck is a no go the fluid would be the first thing I would check. If it was low or empty it would definitely be at the mark before it was towed in for warranty repair.

Thanks for all the help folks. I'm sure my day will be filled with having to deal with this.

Pardini - the fluid was gone, not due to negligence on my part but due to the failure causing it to run dry.

I have had good luck with the Call your TV station Consumer Help line. Got my transmission fixed that was out of warranty by 1 day! They did a whole story on such warranties and I got my 30 seconds of fame on the tube!
Funny how companies change their tunes when they have a TV camera stuck in their face! :rofl:

After filing with the BBB I found out since my original purchase the company changed their name to United States Warranty Corp.. Probably to shake off all the bad rep they got as the old name.

Thanks again for the help.

Did the dealer sell this warranty to you? If so, they need to be involved, they made a profit from the sale of that warranty.

The extended warranty was wrapped into the sell of another vehicle. When I traded it in, they transferred the warranty over to this vehicle.

Back