What to upgrade on my '07

Trucker Mike

Registered
Ok, so my bike is strictly a cruiser/show bike. It will not see high speeds, nor will it be rode hard (hard launches, speed shifting, etc). I'm just not into that kind of riding.

So after reading about TRE's, clutch slave supports, heavy-duty clutch springs, stainless brake lines, and everything else that people upgrade for performance..., I have a question.

For what I'm using this bike for, are any of these upgrades really necessary? Some stuff I'll do for looks (stainless lines), but are the OEM parts on this bike going to be adequate for my use? Or, is there anything that MUST be upgraded/changed due to faulty design?

I can't imagine this bike has any problems that need addressing, but thought I'd ask instead of assuming. So, any items to look out for?

TIA,

TM

none of it is needed IMO... normally for "cruising" us taller guys (6'1+) DO NEED fixes:

Buell pegs
Helibars or some type of riser
ThrottleMeisters or Cruise control
Seat

My biggest gripes are cramped riding position and "monkey butt"

In re: "So, any items to look out for? TIA,TM"

No, not for a trailer queen or a show bike. Bling is all you'll need.

Thanks!

Bling? Oh hell, no.
laugh.gif
Eventually, the only thing shiny on my bike will be the key.

In the words of the great Russell Mitchell of Exile Cycles:

"There's other colors besides black?"
rofl.gif

Thanks!

Bling? Oh hell, no.
laugh.gif
Eventually, the only thing shiny on my bike will be the key.

In the words of the great Russell Mitchell of Exile Cycles:

"There's other colors besides black?"
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
Yea I ride my cruiser.... from the trailer to the show floor and back.... :cough: :cough:

rofl.gif

Wellll, I'll ride it a little farther than that. Mostly, it'll be around town, then park it for a couple hours and BS with the guys, then ride home.

But like I told the dealer, I doubt I'll even ride it more than 10 times a year. I'm only home for 2-3 days a month (IF I even get home).

New windshield can get added to that "cruiser" list.

-Windshiled- Helps with deflecting wind off your body while cruising. I have a Puig double Bubble. I can see my Guages Easily now.

-Buell pegs- Lowers feet to give more comfort. Usually felt most at the knees.

-Helli Bars- Raises arms up so you don't feel so crunched over.

-Risers- Serves same purpose of Heli's,but cheaper and gives you the option to lowering the front end. Most install links in the rear at the same time as risers. Lowering the bike gives those "not so tall" riders more comfort while sitting at a light. Can install risers without lowering bike. I'm 6'3" and used "Soupy's lowering kit(sponsor)" and like both the look and feel of it. Doesn't change my riding style at all as I don't do the Twisty riding much. Still can do the Twisty's, just most raise the rear(from stock) for doing so.

-Seat- Soon to be one of my next Mods. Gel seat are nice and comfy. Only real downfall is all that "Gel" holds heat really well. Your but will get warmed up from it sitting in the sun while you stop off to have lunch. Torbin/Corbin and a lot of take-offs(ebay) can also provide looks ,comfort,and be aprox 1/2" lower on your riding position. Giving shorty peeps better footing at a stop.

-ThrottleMeisters or Cruise control- Pretty much self explains it.

-New Hand Grips- Buying the right grips can add both looks and comfort.

-HID's- Lots put HID's on there bike. Makes a huge difference in both your sight and others seeing you! If you do a fair amount of riding at night,overcast conditions I suggest this mod. Big safety improvement. I don't ride much at night,but do plan on this in near future.

-Playboy Model- These sit well on back of the bike. They add both function and style at same time. They give great Moral boost when pulling into places like Hooters and such for lunch. Will make any discomfort that occurred while riding the bike seemly disappear just by admiring this mod. We all take time to admire our mods. This one you won't mind spending lots of time admiring . Highly suggest this mod. *Warning Can be one of the most expensive "Mods" you add to your bike!

Did "Kickstand Mod"? Doesn't effect riding,but a great prevention of wasted $$. for when you aren't riding.

Heli Bars, Buell pegs, Better seat, and HID light. sound like the best mods for just riding regular on the street in MHO.
The Heli Bars really make a big difference if you go very far in wrist comfort.

none of it is needed IMO... normally for "cruising" us taller guys (6'1+) DO NEED fixes:

Buell pegs
Helibars or some type of riser
ThrottleMeisters or Cruise control
Seat

My biggest gripes are cramped riding position and "monkey butt"
thumb_up.gif
Same here. Its an awesome bike stock, except for the cramped ride position for us tall guys and the vibes. The vibes you can't do much about....but as Bogus suggested there are things to help comfort
winkold.gif

Speaking of vibration. Wasn't there someone on here who put together a set of bushings for both the gas tank and the top clamp cover? Was suppose to of worked out really good in cutting down vibration.

Speaking of vibration. Wasn't there someone on here who put together a set of bushings for both the gas tank and the top clamp cover? Was suppose to of worked out really good in cutting down vibration.
yes but it comes at a price IMO.. They were "not pretty" and IMO vibration is not an issue in the first place. I would certainly try different grips before "modding" the bar mounts with more rubber..

Everyone forgets the most important mod for these (or any) bikes......
Get your suspension set up for your weight and gold valves.

TL Pegs (PM vman1300)
Handle bar riser (PM DR1300R)
Cruise Control (Audiovox or Rostra) You can find install posts on here
Double Bubble windscreen (Puig)
Tires (Avon Storms)
Suspension Tune (Search for JINKSTER Attacks Suspension)

Got the DB windscreen covered.

I like the Buell peg idea, but only if I can get them in black.

Kickstand mod will get done immediately after I get it home.

HID will be on the next round of mods for sometime in April. I have enough crap to install next weekend as it is.
rofl.gif

I'll get the suspension set at the dealer when I pick it up. Hopefully they know how? I'm 6'4, 235lbs. Any recommendations?

And I'll probably get a Tobin seat, once I decide whether to go with either Gator or Snakeskin.

What are gold valves?

Wellll, I'll ride it a little farther than that. Mostly, it'll be around town, then park it for a couple hours and BS with the guys, then ride home.

But like I told the dealer, I doubt I'll even ride it more than 10 times a year. I'm only home for 2-3 days a month (IF I even get home).
Sounds like you don't need to change a thing unless you decide to really ride it!

yes but it comes at a price IMO.. They were "not pretty" and IMO vibration is not an issue in the first place. I would certainly try different grips before "modding" the bar mounts with more rubber..
I've geared my first gen down 1 tooth up front...and when I'm doing fast cruising (anything over a gps corrected 80 now) the vibes get pretty bad in the 4700-6000 range. Its always done it...but gearing down just moved it down enough to become a pita. The only way around it is winding it up higher by keeping it in a lower gear, going slower, or just dealing with it. Usually tho I find I'm either below 80 or wayyy over it...so 75% of the time its not an issue
winkold.gif

I would still probably look pretty closely at anything that helps reduce vibes tho....

If you ride it then HID's should be on the list...
you know I always forget about that part... cars quit pulling and turning in front of me by a very large amount as soon as I did the lights... Suppose it should be a first mod

I've geared my first gen down 1 tooth up front...and when I'm doing fast cruising (anything over a gps corrected 80 now) the vibes get pretty bad in the 4700-6000 range. Its always done it...but gearing down just moved it down enough to become a pita. The only way around it is winding it up higher by keeping it in a lower gear, going slower, or just dealing with it. Usually tho I find I'm either below 80 or wayyy over it...so 75% of the time its not an issue
winkold.gif

I would still probably look pretty closely at anything that helps reduce vibes tho....
So what methods have you tried so far or have you yet? I was curious about some of the different grips out there and how well they work

Back