What to look for?

GSuty17

Registered
I am 19 years old and have ridden fast dirt bikes since I was 5.  I am 6'5" 350lbs and need a fast street bike, will a hayabusa satisfy my need?  If so, what should I look for in a used bike? 2000-2003 with 8-10,000 miles? What should I check for? What goes first? I just want to make a good buy and not get something that was rode hard and put away wet. Thanks.

Find a used 600. Look for something that hasn't been modded to death. If you buy one new enough for it to be liquid cooled, mileage is not as big an issue.
Get used to the 600 and then hunt for something bigger.

You may have to get a footpeg mod to feel really comfortable on it. If you body height is in your legs, especially. I'm 6'4" and my height is in my torso, not my legs.

Also, when buying ANY bike, new or used, I always like to go through it and make sure all the bolts are tight, especially all those little allen screws and plastic rivet thingies that hold the plastics on. Giving it a good bath, again, new or used helps a great deal to that end as well.

Have fun!

--Wag--

You may have to get a footpeg mod to feel really comfortable on it.  If you body height is in your legs, especially.  I'm 6'4" and my height is in my torso, not my legs.

Also, when buying ANY bike, new or used, I always like to go through it and make sure all the bolts are tight, especially all those little allen screws and plastic rivet thingies that hold the plastics on.  Giving it a good bath, again, new or used helps a great deal to that end as well.

Have fun!

--Wag--
Totally agree with that
biggrin.gif
...Thats what you should be checking for

I am 19 years old ...  I am 6'5" 350lbs and need a fast street bike,
No .. what you need is a football scholarship!

Okay, jokes aside, I rode dirtbikes for over 10 years and all I can say is the first time I took my streetbike on the highway, nearly everything I learned on the dirtbikes went out the window. Doing 80+ MPH surrounded by cars and trucks was a bit overwhelming for me at first, and I don't think a Hayabusa or even a 1000 would have been the best thing for me to have. A 600 has alot more room for error than a bigger bike and if you ever get nervous out there, you chances of making an error increases.

To avoid from seeming as if I'm trying to preach to you, I'll say this. No matter how big you are physically it all depends on how big you are mentally. I say that because you are 19 and I have seen many young katz go down because they thought they could handle their bike and chose not to give it its proper respect.

The Busa is plenty of bike for anyone too much for others, there is no comparison between a fast dirt bike and the Busa, thats like comparing a Cesna to the F-15. That being said Just look the bike over look for abuse, see if they have service history and if 2000 model make sure the recalls were fixed keep reading on this website you'll see that this is a pretty bullet proof bike good luck.
smile.gif
P.S. If you have never rode any street bikes I agree with bronc advance up and take riding course.

Wow, thanks for the welcome and fast responses.  I have some experience on a 91 cbr 1000.  I bought it in hopes of having something faster than my CR500, no dice.  My 500 smoked it until 100, I know the new bikes are a ton faster than the 91's but will a 600 do the job for me?  Also, in oregon anybody under age 21 has to take a rider safety course to get a license.  Aside from the lack of experience, I found geico will insure me....for 3800 a year, so sounds like a 600.

Welcome to the board. I started out on a 600 and would never have had it any other way. Wow, 3800 a year! I would walk for that kind of a bill.
wow.gif

350lbs, wow!

Id suggest looking at something like an SV1000.

Tame v-twin engine, lots of power, nice power band.

the busa isn't really fast enough anyways..

kinda sluggish actually.

i hear there are many bikes faster than it now..

the zx12.. well thats always been faster, the zx10 of course.. the r1, the cbr1000, the blackbird is slightly faster, uhh, the k1200 Beemer is faster of course.. hmm, the gixxer is of course.. faster.. yada yada yada.. some 600's will spank it.. and of course many of the harleys with the screamin' eagle exhaust will annihilate the busa..

and that comes straight from the owners mouths! They can't possibly all be wrong?

really we are all tooling around on probably number 8, or 9 on the speed/power scale. It's just a slow bike, all there is too it.

Comfortable though.
cool.gif

I too am large of frame. 6'4" 290+
muscle.gif

My son had a 600 and I could ride that flat out and keep the front end down with my weight. I agree that the busa is a lot of bike but can be ridden civilized if you have the right wrist control.

I would check with another insurance company. My son is 22 and he just got a quote from AAA for a 750 GSXR and it was only $50 more then mine. (Both with clean records).

the busa isn't really fast enough anyways..

kinda sluggish actually.

i hear there are many bikes faster than it now..

the zx12.. well thats always been faster, the zx10 of course.. the r1, the cbr1000, the blackbird is slightly faster, uhh, the k1200 Beemer is faster of course.. hmm, the gixxer is of course.. faster.. yada yada yada.. some 600's will spank it.. and of course many of the harleys with the screamin' eagle exhaust will annihilate the busa..

and that comes straight from the owners mouths! They can't possibly all be wrong?

really we are all tooling around on probably number 8, or 9 on the speed/power scale.  It's just a slow bike, all there is too it.

Comfortable though.  
cool.gif
ices_rofl.gif
we gotta get some of you stand-ups together for a good comedy show sometime......I can't believe all the humour this board has to offer. I guess being a Busa rider you gotta have a sense of humour since everything with an engine is gunning for us.
But its still greeeeat to be King.......muhahahaha

Welcome to the board. Check with State Farm they have great rates. If you do go with a Busa make sure that the recalls have been done. On the 99s and 00s there were recalls on the cam chain tensioners and on the 99s the fuel pumps.

I have been riding bikes since I was 6 and been on the street since I was 16 (got both licenses the same time), and I would recommend a GSXR750. I had an 1100, but the first time I got on my Busa it scared the shid out of me!!! I am getting a little more used to it, but I RESPECT it greatly and realize that it can hurt me big-time, so I try to use my head!!! I started out on an Interceptor 500 and worked my way up.

From one big guy, 6'6" 300lbs, to another....brother you would crush a 600. Take it from me, I thought about buying an f3 for my first bike and when I sat on it, I looked like cartman in that episode of south park....you know the one with the satellite poking out his rear!

I found the sv1000 was fairly comfortable for me, so was the rc51, 750 SRAD, and the TL1000R. I ended up with a VTX 1800 Retro for my first bike. At least I could almost keep up with the 600's lol!!

<!--EDIT|werdkat
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113419842 -->

Back