What to check for after laid down?

C6amar9O

Registered
Hello all, as stated I laid the bike down :( I was going between 20-35mph I'm not sure. It was a warm engine and cold tires and like an ass I goosed it and it came around on me. So anyways time to rebuild, just about all the fairing needs replaced or worked. My concern is I'm not sure the bike is still straight. I try to line up the front tire and looking down the top of the bike it seems like either the front tire has shifted or the nose has shifted.... not much maybe half inch. Any idea on how I can check to see if things are bent? I'm worried the forks are bent.

DSCN4227.jpg

DSCN4228.jpg

DSCN4229.jpg

DSCN4235.jpg

You probably bent the fairing stay under the nose. I would pull it apart and check everything. Will it start and run now?

Unless the forks(or front wheel) directly impacted something, curb, ditch, drainpipe, ect., and the bike simply laid over into a lowside the forks are most likely fine.
The only way to be sure would be to pull them out and put a straight edge against them. The upper and lower triple clamps(trees) could possibly be out of line, but again not likely from a low speed lowside. Your frame slider probably took most of the intial impact too.
Like TwoTone said, you probably bent the fairing stay. Damaged plastic on one side can be throwing off how things look.
I'de ride the bike up to highway speeds on the smoothest road you can find and take your hands off the bars.
The bike should still track straight and not pull.
Zip ties on the lower fork tubes too(they act as marker to indicate fork travel) and hard on the front brakes to bottom the forks. If the forks were bent they will obviously not function properly and be able to travel the entire stroke, or they will stick in spots and you'll definately feel it.
It's most likely all cosmetic though.:beerchug:

Ouch, are you running this through your insurance? That bike is going to have some $$$ thrown at it in just plastics alone. With no tail section damage at all, my drop off the kick stand was well over 3K.

Sounds like the fairing stay to me too. Hit up Justin from Honda East, he will save you a bunch on the plastics.

sweet, thanks guys. There was no impact to the forks that I can tell, it did hit the left side mirror area pretty hard and bent the bar holding the mirror inward. Possibly shifted the whole fairing stay over. I'll have to disassemble and see. yes it still runs, no leaks....(except my checking account). Wow plastic is not cheap

My insurance (USAA) totalled my bike which had similar damage (a bit LESS) than yours.

There is a lot of impact damage on your bike. You really should take it to a dealership and have a crash estimate done. A reputable dealer should be able to go over the bike completely and also print out all parts needed to repair the bike. If you have insurance on the bike, this would be well worth using it so they can determine if it's worth saving or not. Since it's a 2011, they might not total it if the frame/swing arm are not damaged.

I'd be more than happy to help you get everything you need

Last edited:
15 posts and a crashed Busa :down:

Glad to hear you are okay, the bike is fixable...

Like I said, a tip over off the kickstand was well over 3K. Justin can help you out with sorting out all the parts. The fairings need all kinds of heat shields to be 100% correct.

Here is the left when I was fixing mine.

CopyofIMG_4074.jpg

sweet, thanks guys. There was no impact to the forks that I can tell, it did hit the left side mirror area pretty hard and bent the bar holding the mirror inward. Possibly shifted the whole fairing stay over. I'll have to disassemble and see. yes it still runs, no leaks....(except my checking account). Wow plastic is not cheap

Since front fender, bar end and lever are still fairly ok I'd agree and say you just pushed the nose over a bit.
Forks should be ok.

Sorry bout your crash man. It sucks. They are right though that's gonna be at least 4-5k to fix. Mine had no tail damage at all and was $3400.

Glad you're alright and maybe this post will save a few others. Good winter riding reminder. Probably the fairing stay. I think Justin gave you some great advise.

Keep an eye on that stator cover. The OEM is fragile and you might start losing oil :poke:

You're saying strip that baby naked and put the money into a stage 1 setup from Richard :poke:

I'll get her back on the street, it'll take a while with my budget. I've been checking out Ebay a lot. I'm amazed at whats out there to buy. The wifey gave me the "Are you crazy!" look when I mentioned that we might use some of our tax return $ for repairs instead of a new kitchen island for her...lol
Justin I'll contact you for parts and prices when I'm ready, thanks

You're saying strip that baby naked and put the money into a stage 1 setup from Richard :poke:

Actually, I just meant buy a headlight(and tail section if you must) cheap from ebay and ride it.
But...I like your idea even better.:thumbsup:

Hey bro,

I did laid mine down on the right side and it cost me approx. $2000. Did all the work myself. Shop online for all your parts thought, and go to your nearest dealership and ask if they will price match. That's what I did, and it saved me about $1,500.

Check the under brace also. That's what the mirrors are attached to. Just looking at the pictures its probably bent. You won't be able to get the nose lined up if you don't replace it. Its about $275.00. Hope this helps.

Back