Tire Air Pressure

det45

Registered
I'm sure you all know to check your air pressure on your motorcycles. The other day I went to ride my 08 Kawasaki VN900 and found the front tire at 10lbs of pressure. Sitting in cold weather will reduce the pressure. I added an additional 22lbs to the tire and it's fine. Just be sure to check yours at least once a week prior to riding. :thumbsup:

Good reminder, especially after it's been sitting for a long time.

Yes.. I check mine regularly but found out you need to use a good an accurate gauge. I was using the inline gauge at my job, turns out it was off, off by a lot I was running my tires with 70 lbs of air when the gauge was showing 42 :angry:

When I put it to the proper pressure it was like night an day.

Yep! Good lookin' out, bro!

Best to check it before every ride (though I don't know many people that committed to doing it...)

:beerchug:

I check before every ride using a gauge with a relief valve ($15-$20). I have an inexpensive 0.8 gal air compressor to make adjustments. It's the only way to go to get accurate cold tire pressure. Also, you never know when you may have a slow leak.

I don't know how prevalent Nitrogen is south of the border. If you can get your tires filled with Nitrogen you will have less to worry about as far as normal air pressure loss. Nitrogen will only shrink/expand something like 5 percent. Nice to have if you live somewhere or travel somewhere that the temperature changes drastically - like Arizona - from daytime highs to over night lows.

I run Nitrogen in my car, truck and 'Busa tires and checking pressure is still a routine I follow but I hardly ever have to go to the pump.

cheers,

ziggy ( BC, Canada)

If you dont use stands,it's a good idea to lay a piece of carpet down between the the tires contact patch and concrete floor; untreated concrete has been known to leach the oils out of the tires rubber. Rotate your tires contact patch every week or so if you can't take the bike out

Back