Rear Brakes

slydog1

Registered
I'm wondering if my expectations are two high. When I engage my brakes; front and back, while I'm down shifting it seems I'm not getting enough braking from the rear. Now a 600lb bike with a 300lb rider, am I expecting too much with this kind of weight.

The rear brake is not the greatest on the busa in my opinion. That is it doesn't give great feedback. However I can lock it up if i choose. Can you lock it up?

I can lock it up sitting still. But once I'm in motion no-way. I can tell the bike is harder to stop if I use only the front brakes, so everything helps.

I can lock mine up as well and I agree the rear brake is nothing impressive. I weight 230 maybe its the weight diff? But I would think you would have better action out of it, to at least come close to locking it up.

I dont know how long you had it. When I first bought mine and rode home (110) miles, The factory grease they used was everywhere, including the brake.
If you can, wipe a rag or finger on the rear disc, and see if its greasy. If so, clean it up, pull the pads out and lightly sand or scuff them up to take the shine off. Reassemble and try it again. Let us know if its still a problem:thumbsup:

I dont know how long you had it. When I first bought mine and rode home (110) miles, The factory grease they used was everywhere, including the brake.
If you can, wipe a rag or finger on the rear disc, and see if its greasy. If so, clean it up, pull the pads out and lightly sand or scuff them up to take the shine off. Reassemble and try it again. Let us know if its still a problem:thumbsup:

Great point mine was as well!

I tried mine last night after reading this... I can lock it up but it takes a pretty hefty push on the pedal.. I think I smelled cosmoline when I parked.. :whistle:

:laugh:I didnt know what it was! So I looked it up

Cosmoline is the trade name for a generic class of rust preventatives, conforming to MIL-C-11796C Class 3, that are a yellowish, light-amber, or greenish colored ointment-like mass; have a slight fluorescence; and have a petroleum-like odor and taste. Cosmoline is similar to petroleum jelly in properties, appearance, and thickness. It is the purified residue obtained from the distillation of petroleum oils.

Chemically, cosmoline is a homogeneous mixture of oily and waxy long-chain, non-polar hydrocarbons. It can range in color from white to yellow, and can differ in viscosity and shear strength. Cosmoline melts at 113–125 °F (45–52 °C) and has a flashpoint of 365 °F (185 °C).

Its most common use is in the storage and preservation of firearms. Previously, cosmoline was used to preserve other items. Objects the size of entire vehicles could be preserved for future use with cosmoline.

During World War II, US Coast Artillerymen (serving the huge coastal artillery batteries) were known as "Cosmoliners" because they were tasked with the near constant cosmoline application ("greasing down") of the guns.

During Pacific island campaigns in World War II, the United States Marines sang a song about Cosmoline. Adapting the popular big-band tune "Tangerine," they would sing "Cosmoline...keeps my rifle clean."

Due to its gelatinous nature, Cosmoline can be difficult to remove completely from firearms and, as such, is being extensively replaced with vacuum-pack PET film.

Yes, with a stock OE suspension and/or setup.
I'm wondering if my expectations are two high. When I engage my brakes; front and back, while I'm down shifting it seems I'm not getting enough braking from the rear. Now a 600lb bike with a 300lb rider, am I expecting too much with this kind of weight.

Back