What temperature is "tolerable riding conditions"

What temperature is "tolerable riding conditions" - (with no wind chill factors at stop)

• 10-20 degrees F

Votes: 155 100.0%

• Total voters
Ahh...
is the road plowed?
laugh.gif

Webshots.com Links Do Not Work

cheers
ken

depends on how bad i want to ride. try not to get the bike out if its below 45. we have alot of places where the sun doesnt hit very much so you have to watch for black ice. not good for the busa or any other street bike.
beerchug.gif

I always dress for the weather conditions; no matter how cold it gets you can stay reasonably warm with the right gear.

I ride year round and below 40 gets cold on the freeway expesially when its raining . I've been riding to work (1/2 hr) every morning and its been 20-25 and thats cold on the hands . I work outside so i'm dressed warm and i'm wearing my joe rocket w/liner and ski pants over jeans w/longjohns. I'm thinking about getting electri gloves !

I don't really have a temperature range, since I moved to Florida, but at this time of year, I try not to go north of St. Augustine.:)

I won't ride below 60 for tire grip sake.
Rode 250 miles last Sunday 70 degrees.
This weekend will be 70 too.

When my Wife 1st got her license 5 years ago we rode in 22 degrees - no thanks.

I typically will ride any temp if the roads are ride-able. That being said, I prefer it be above 40 just for the comfort and enjoyment of the ride

I just bought heated gear so that I can ride more than I used to.Before, it was about 50F was were I drew the line, but now I can ride whenever. That stuff is AWESOME! I should have bought this stuff years ago.
clap.gif

As someone already mentioned, there's a completely different scale here in Florida. As I'm getting ready for work in the morning, if the weather channel lists current temp below about 57-60, I'm driving a car to work for sure. 71-80 is really my comfortable range, but anything below 63ish is gloves and a coat usually. Depends on humidity too.

When you spend more than half the year with highs in the 90s and lows in the 70s, 60 degrees is cold. The body adjusts.

It was a very different story when I lived in Michigan.

I just bought heated gear so that I can ride more than I used to.Before, it was about 50F was were I drew the line, but now I can ride whenever. That stuff is AWESOME! I should have bought this stuff years ago.
clap.gif
I'd be interested in reading about what you bought...how about a review thread in Riding Gear?
thumb_up.gif

I commute to work in the fall down to the 20's, but typically do not go for rides below 40 degrees. What stops me more than cold is the snow and sand/salt they put on the roads.
Here in Minnesota I haven't riden since Thanksgiving and it is driving me crazy!!  
banghead.gif

We prefer 60 -70 all the time....Georgia's limit with extra clothing is 50, If I put on little xtra clothing I'm great till 38 - 40, we buy heated gear for next year we will see.

It always seems during the colder months around here the days are nicer for clear sunny skies. Its just the colder temps...

like so many others... I've ridden in teen weather but there really isn't much enjoyment for me. Early mornings you worry about black ice. The tires never get anything close to the right temp. The roads even if clear of snow/ice/salt/sand are still crap. Caggers don't expect motorcycles so they're even less alert to your presence. It's just not much fun but if it's needed it can and has been done.

When I was going to school in Montana I would ride the bike to class deep into single digits. Only extra gear I would wear is a sleeved Under armor cold gear shirt....There wasn't an option for the singe digits, so I went with the lowest...

Well, for this San Diego sissy it's 65 ish. Anything below that and I get into the old leftover electric liner (from my Goldwing days). I know... pansy.

However, a couple of years ago we were up in Bryce Canyon, Utah and got caught in a freezing rain storm... I'm still cold from that!!

My perforated leathers don't keep me too warm.

I like hot!

Back