Adverse weather conditions gear

2k3Mach

Registered
Have a few questions -

I've never had a bike I had to ride as far as I do now (83 miles each way to/from work) and live in Indiana... I just bought the Busa as mileage is over double what my car gets so it basically pays for itself :thumbsup:

Anyway... Here is my current gear

HJC Helmet (needed to keep the bugs out of my face, the cold off me, and for those idiots trying to kill me)

Mesh jacket (not good, but what is best?) which I've been wearing a sweatshirt or two under depending on temps

Pair of light riding gloves (for warmer temps)

Pair of Thinsulate gloves with the back of them like a mesh (found out in 40 degree temps these aren't ideal for anything below 50 degrees and moving at EXTREME SPEEDS)

Backpack with ziplocs for phones/etc when I am caught in the rain!

Now... To questions

One day so far I got caught in a lot of fog as the inside of the helmet face shield fogged up so bad couldn't use it - I had to open the face shield and ride! Any way to correct this?

Bugs on Helmet face shield - Any way to keep down on the blood/splatter on my face shield, or at least some way to wipe off while moving without streaking?

What jacket would be best for both cold/warm riding (temps from 40-75)? I know I need a diff jacket as mine is way loose and flaps like crazy - plus if the hood gets caught in the air it chokes me to death

What type of gloves do you all use for cold weather riding?

Anyone plan ahead with any special rain gear or ?

Is there a wind screen or something else that I could get to protect my hands from the wind (as the gloves I have work ok when stopped, just not moving at 70+)

My helmet (HJC) feels like it weighs 90# on my head moving at higher speed... Is there a lighter/better designed helmet to use or are they all like this?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me... I've already almost doubled the miles on the bike that I've had about a month, AFTER the original owner let it be a garage queen :laugh:

i used to travel outside boston for work which was 90 miles one way and rode my busa every chance i get. i met a rider once who had the aerostich one piece and swears by it. for me, a leather jacket, leather gloves, full face, and riding boots are the essentials. if you can score some good riding pants than that would be an added bonus. invest in rain gear for those surprise downpours which you can jam up into the hump for storage. i use military polypro shirt/pants and winter sport riding gloves joe rocket for winter riding. try the local army/navy store to pick the polypro up for short money ($20) and you'll thank me that you did. grab a ski neck gaiter warmer as well ($10) and you should be good to go. congrats with your new ride! :thumbsup:

Bugs on Helmet face shield: WAX it, helps a lot with ease of cleaning. I also bring wet wipes

What jacket would be best for both cold/warm riding (temps from 40-75)? What is your budget? A few "all-season" jackets out there for under $150

What type of gloves do you all use for cold weather riding? HEATED gloves are best, starts at $180+.

Anyone plan ahead with any special rain gear? I always pack a set when going on long trips. I use what the military issued me (GORETEX top& bottom, booties for the boots). + 1000 on the polypro, I like the thin version

Is there a wind screen or something else that I could get to protect my hands: None that I am aware of

Is there a lighter/better designed helmet to use or are they all like this? Your budget? Most lightweight helmets are NOT cheap (starts at $300 and goes up quick).

P.S. Always dreamed about getting an Aerostitch but could never afford it :(

I have the pinlock shield on my Shoei . Works okay for fog. "fog city" inserts sorta do the same thing but scratch easily. (but less then $20) . I have heated gear and heated grips. Was warm And toasty on a road trip in January. Hot grips are my favorite comfort mod!

I've had a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2 piece outfit for 6 years. It's basically three suits in one. It comes with liners which keep the wind off of you in the cold and the water off of you in the rain. I have winter gloves which come lined and have had glove liners as well. You could try surgical gloves on the outside of your riding gloves.

Invest in an Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece. You'll not regret it for many years. :thumbsup:

Those are awesome but I can't justify spending $1000 that's just crazy but I guess if I had an extra $1000 sitting around I'd probably get it anyway, lol.

Those are awesome but I can't justify spending $1000 that's just crazy but I guess if I had an extra $1000 sitting around I'd probably get it anyway, lol.

Yup, they are spendy, but if you look at how much you have/will spend on all your outfits, it really isn't overpriced. There are used ones and even Aerostich has some returned (customized) suits that are brand new for a sale price.

I ride my Busa to work every day and weekends we ride farther, so it's a good investment for me.

I have a Tourmaster Air Intake II jacket. It's mesh with protective pads and two liners.
It's worked fine thru three Florida summers and with both liners in I was comfy in Nc at the Bash in 40 degree weather. Around $150. Great jacket and one of the few I found that comes in 'tall' sizes for us skinny fellers.

i do a little riding in cold weather. :whistle::laugh:

layers, lots and lots of layers!

for the cheeper fellas like me, Carhart and Whall Blizzard Proof coveralls and overalls work great! leather chaps, long johns, Pajama bottoms, jeans, t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, sweat shirt, leather jacket...i feel like the kid in the Christmas Story .."i can't put my arms down!"

for bugs- i have used motocross rollons over my visor in heavy bug runs. hit the button and the dirty film slides off and fresh film rolls on. tear offs work too.

i have way too much $$ in my scorpion flip up, but i love it. i think they are cheeper now than when i got it.

gloves = good armored gloves are great. :whistle: i use Gortex shooters gloves from Cabellas in the cold. U.S. military shooters mittens are good too, the ones with the wool liners.
French military riding mittens are crappy, slick and thin, don't get those.

for rain gear i use the stuff off the oil field. Gordon fisherman bibs, and jacket, with lots of duct tape.
you tape your sleeves to your gloves, and your pant legs to your boots to keep out the water. :rulez:

for Fog = put a product called "CatCrap" on your face sheild. works on glasses, face shields, scuba masks, Good stuff.

and there ya go Buddy! :thumbs: that's my advice.

Thanks for all the input guys... Thinking leather jacket soon with polypro's under. Heated gloves for $180+ are kind of out of the question unless I can score some lightly used off craigslist/ebay (are the battery ones on ebay any good?)

I am on a strict budget, part of reason I got the Busa was gas in my mustang was killing me and I'm doubling my mileage now (using $12/day rather than $27/day just for to/from work) and need to ride as much as possible during the May/Sept months (April/October riding is a bonus savings). Figuring in payment, insurance, and maintenance I need to ride 3.5 days/week May-Sept and the bike will completely pay for itself yearly.

The wipes are a good idea to keep under my rear seat or in my backpack... Will try cleaning the helmet face shield up really good and waxing it (hopefully keep some of the bug spatter from sticking so bad). Anytime turning my head though, feels like my head is gonna be ripped off (I know - WEAKLING) :moon:

almost forgot.

if you can find some leather "Sap Gloves" with the 6-8oz of lead sand over the knuckles, they are about the best chilly weather riding gloves i have ever found! :bowdown:
the wind can not blow through that lead sand!

they are hard to find though. :laugh:

have same with the pants.

I have a Tourmaster Air Intake II jacket. It's mesh with protective pads and two liners.
It's worked fine thru three Florida summers and with both liners in I was comfy in Nc at the Bash in 40 degree weather. Around $150. Great jacket and one of the few I found that comes in 'tall' sizes for us skinny fellers.

Good quality one piece textile suit ideal for commuting. Mil spec Hi viz.
Tour Master Epic Jacket - can be had now for about 200 bucks. This jacket with layering can go down to just above freezing and up to around 80 without lining and vents open.
Chin skirts
Body warmers for cold mornings
Rubber rain pants - rain pools in the crouch area and soaks through everythin except seamless rubber/polypropelene pants.
Heated grips
Wait fifteen minutes or so before wiping bugs off. The smash bug juice dries and you likely will be able flunk them off without smear...
Gaunlet style gloves
Rain X works well to keep rain moving on the face shield - Move your head right to left at speed with Rain X and it work almost like windshield wipers. Get a Modular helmet and lift the lid at stop to avoid fog build up inside the shield.

Back