What should I expect from a turbo?

woodman

Registered
I am def getting a turbo put on my 2010.Maybe not for a year or so but it will be added on.I'm looking at getting around 300hp.My busa will only see the dragstrip a few times a year so having a reliable bike that doesn't require alot of upkeep and maintaince is very important.

I'm just wondering what I should expect when adding the turbo.As far as upgrades to the engine,cooling system etc.Also how much extra time and money am I looking at to keep the bike properly tuned and running right.

Last will this make my busa more unreilable.I have talked to Richard from RCCturbos and will be having everything installed by him but I just wanted to get some opinions on this.

Also if anyone has any recomendations on other upgrades that I should add to the installation of a turbo.

Thanks

Just get a spacer and valve springs and keep the boost below 10lbs and you will have a very reliable daily driver

GEN II bikes need some additional attention when boost is added. Ti valves should be replaced with stainless and you'll most likely need to put a spacer as the GEN II is higher comp than GEN I. If your talking with Richard then your in good hands. Make sure your asking him these questions.

P.S. If your worried about maintaining your bike you might want to seriously consider what your doing before you do. These bikes require a bit of know how, on what to do and not to do while riding. I'm not saying that you cant have a great experience with your bike, but things can happen and in the blink of your eye you could be starting all over again.

Good luck and be sure to pick Richards brain.

Yeah I hae been given a reply from my email to Richard and he was very informative.Gave me the basic info.

I'll be sure to pick his brain.

Just wanted to get some feedback as maybe some people have had experiences with there turbo instalation that would help me make a decision.

Like I have said (again thanks for the response's) I really don't want to do something to my Busa that will cause me more headaches then it is worth.Really want a fast bike (yes it is already fast) but I don't want problems.

Also I am going to do some minor mods in the first year.One being a brock's or yosh full system exhaust.I see that most if not all turbo's have a dump pipe and was wondering if I will be able to use either of these pipes when I have a turbo installed????

Thanks again

Good luck with it. You can run an exhaust pipe, but I really like the dump pipes.

A dump pipe on a turbo is more efficient. Your bike will spool faster, and make more hp/lb boost with a dump pipe and shootout filter. RCC does offer full exhausts with his kits, if that is your preference. Just let him know what you want, and go with his advice in regard to where to get it installed and tuned properly . . .:beerchug:

Im putting a full exhaust on my 08, have dump pipes and full exhaust for my 00. My 2000 bike made 461 / 280 ft*lbs with a full exhaust and air filter that fits inside the plastic. Full exhaust on turbo bikes aren't very loud, but very bassy, deep, sound sweet. Dumps are also very sweet, just a little more obnixious.

this is what the full exhaust will look like on the newer bike
DSC_1618.jpg

DSC_1617.jpg

Smithabusa that looks awesome, wonder what it would look like with can cut in half??

Im putting a full exhaust on my 08, have dump pipes and full exhaust for my 00. My 2000 bike made 461 / 280 ft*lbs with a full exhaust and air filter that fits inside the plastic. Full exhaust on turbo bikes aren't very loud, but very bassy, deep, sound sweet. Dumps are also very sweet, just a little more obnixious.

this is what the full exhaust will look like on the newer bike
DSC_1618.jpg

DSC_1617.jpg

Are you saying that there's no negative affect in using a full exhaust on a turbo ?

I haven't dyno'd this turbo setup with dump pipes on, but making 460 hp through a full exhaust to me shows its not super restrictive lol

Now a hahn kits full exhaust with small tubing and tight bends will rob hp
Posted via Mobile Device

I haven't dyno'd this turbo setup with dump pipes on, but making 460 hp through a full exhaust to me shows its not super restrictive lol

Now a hahn kits full exhaust with small tubing and tight bends will rob hp
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey Greg, with all due respect, I you KNOW your bike will make more HP with a dump pipe! :poke::moon::lol:

Hey Frank,

I'm a believer in data, and haven't seen any data back to back on a proper full exhaust vs dumps, not saying I dont believe you as you have probably already done this, just haven't seen the data myself.

Now at low boost what do you say? at any boost level are you saying it will make more dump vs full?

there is something cool about a stealthy full exhaust air filter hidden turbo kit :)

Hi Greg-

Yes, I am saying at all boost levels you will see more rear wheel horsepower with a dump versus a full exhaust, and yes, I have already done it many times . . .

BUT, you're right - there is something very cool about a "stealth" turbo - full pipe, air cleaner hidden - 'cause you can't hear 'em coming, and they're mean as hell. We've done a few of those too!

I gotta say though, your bike is one of the meanest stealth ones I've seen in a while :lol:

One more thing I'm worried about is how loud the bike will be with the dump pipe.Will the neighbours want to kill me????:please:

They aren't for the over conservative types, but man they sound good when you get even the slightest turbo spool :). When I run dumps and if I ride early morning or after dark I coast from as far as I can coming into the driveway.
Posted via Mobile Device

that bike looks wicked!

Yeah i sort of had the same question, as modding my aprilia has made it costy and unreliable, but im glad putting a turbo and running it under 10lbs doesn't mess the bike up and it is still usable to pop to the shops and back :) "in under 10 seconds lol"

Back