I want a turbo

technically an intercooler will not add hp, but it will allow for higher hp ratings at similar boost numbers. theres an equation in physics that goes PV=nRT, where P=pressure (psi->boost), V=volume (cfm), n=number of molecules (commonly known as moles, but more molecules means more oxygen and with more fuel, well, you get the point..), R=Robles (sp?) Constant (can't remember off top of head, but that is beside the point I'm thrying to show), and T=temperature. so if your system has a certain PV, and no intercooler, then the T will be have some value and this value will relate to the n as to corespond with the PV, for instance. Now lets say you add an intercooler, and then retune to have the same psi and sam cfm, the intercooler will drop the temperature on the one side of the equation, but the PV remains constant, thus something one the nRT side must increase due to the T dropping. so now we have a system with the same PV and a smaller T and a higher n, and if you remember from earlier, n=number of molecules of air. More air means with more fuel, you should make more of those ponies.

one thing to add is that this is true partially in a theoritacal since, since the turbo will not likely just be able to run the same PV numbers at a higher flow due to efficiency changes through the compressor map. intercoolers add a lot of buffer and can be an amazing device, but another tool towards reliability is running the turbo at its most efficient state. this is because the efficiency of the turbo directly relates to its resultant temperature. (its the reason why roots blowers make inlet air so much hotter than turbos for similar boost and cfm ratings, they run somewhere around 40% whereas turbos run 60-70% and somtimes even higher than 75%).

hope this helps.

great explanation on the ideal gas law. You do have to remember though that it is for "ideal" gases. The calculation will get you as close as you are going to get with numbers you are crunching.

I am considering putting a turbo on my bike this winter. I would kind of like to do the install myself, then take it to a local shop here in town to have it tuned. What tubo would you recomend for ease of instalation? If you run low boost are they dependable for long rides away from home? And will any other mods to my stock busa have to be made with the turbo installation? Is a extended swingarm a must? Just new to the thought of the turbo busa, any help would be appreciated.
All the common turbo kits require about the same basic mechanical skill to install.  In my opinion the hardest part of the install was cutting the fairings.  So with that in mind, I suggest buying a kit where you cut the least amount of holes in the bike.

Service after the sale is HUGE!!!. You will have questions. Make your own decision on this one,  every body has their days,  I think everybody as a rule has good customer service.

A stock engine can run 280hp or so with race gas,  some go higher.  Reccomendations would be clutch springs for this kind of HP.  If you want more power than this the list of potential mods goes throught the roof.  (lower compression, valve springs, rods, pistons, insert any part made of unobtainium)

Swingarm -  Not necessary, but would make it easier at the strip

Long rides -  I personally ran 240 hp on pump gas,  Most rides with friends are 200+ miles,  I rode all the time and had no problems cause by turbo system or install.

I'm upgrading to an intercooled kit this year that will bring me up to around 350hp on pump gas just so I can have a little more for riding with friends.

You can run both- water injection and air to air i even have a cry-o-cooler that can get so cold it will burn you.Ive built turbo cars that run both air to air and water injection im working on a 240sx drift car that will have both.

Misslelike,I'm your neighbor,I'm gonna be opening my shop in Canby soon, as I was in Milwaukie.I am by no means a super tuner but do have some bike tuning experience and some turbo tuning friends.I will help you anyway possible advice,parts,installation or tuning wise.

Misslelike,I'm your neighbor,I'm gonna be opening my shop in Canby soon, as I was in Milwaukie.I am by no means a super tuner but do have some bike tuning experience and some turbo tuning friends.I will help you anyway possible advice,parts,installation or tuning wise.
Can't beat that.
beerchug.gif

Back