What non-performance mods do ya have?

PS back on subject only mods are, heated grips (yes I know big girls blouse and all that!) and a Chaintek chain luber.

+Pilot Sports and datatools Vetoplus Alarm.

Plus a few freebee scratches on the left hand side courtesy of my beloved side stand.

I'm currently using a Basic Stamp II. At digikey.com they're $49 US. I use the stamp for all my prototype work because it is easy to debug and hard to fry. I would like to move it to a PIC16C711 to get the cost down. The circuit is real easy, just a National ADC0831 8-bit Analog to digital convertor for input, an LED Driver and a 7-segment LED. If you want to play while I'm trying a draw up a circuit, here are the pink wire voltages:

1st gear - 1.80v
2nd gear - 2.26v
3rd gear - 2.99v
4th gear - 3.68v
5th gear - 4.38v
6th gear - 4.70v
Neutral - 5.08v

If you haven't looked before, the gear position sensor wires are most accessible under the tank down near the tank hinge on the left side. Pick up the ground there (black with white stripe), but you'll have to get power from somewhere else. I got it from the fuse box.

Hey Busageek,

I'm preparing to do your gear indicator mod but I'm wanting to use an etched pcb and soldering the parts onto it. Do you think it's worth it or should I just use a perfboard to do it?

Thanks.

If you're good at etching PCB boards, go for it. I've found that if you can't keep the temp up in the etchant, you get traces that crack easily. Mount it on a motorcycle and you're asking for it to happen.
I wire wrapped the whole thing and then soldered over the wire wrap after I tested it.

BTW - are you using a stamp?

Here's my code --

ADCCS con 0
ADCDO con 1
ADCCLK con 2
ADres var byte
gear var nib

OUTPUT 8
OUTPUT 9
OUTPUT 10
OUTPUT 11

HIGH ADCCS

goback:

LOW ADCCS
SHIFTIN ADCDO,ADCCLK,msbpost,[ADres\9]
HIGH ADCCS

gear = 0
LOOKDOWN ADres,<[0,103,132,170,195,232,247],gear
OUTC=gear

pause 50

goto goback

Non-performance, hmmm...

1. Pro-Grip Gel "enduro" grips
2. Gerbing electric jacket thermostat/controller hard wired in w/flashing LED indicator
3. Heli Bars
4. ZG Double Bubble smoked windscreen
5. Lockhart carbon fiber tank/buckle guard
6. Ditched the Frankenstein tail bolts and used some normal allen bolts
7. GSXR600 footpegs for more legroom
8. Removed all reflectors and frame decals
9. Removed entire rear fender and all black plastic sticking out below the tailpiece.
10. Cut off lower part of taillight (plate light and reflector).
11. Ducati 996 turn signals on custom mount for the rear tail.
12. Custom license plate mount

That's about it for non-performance stuff, at least that I remember!

Jim

I know this board goes all over the world. But what language is BusaGeek,NumbNuts,DangerMouse and busagringo
speaking. From another planet maybe. You guys ain't from around here are ya? You were drawn here by the amazing power pulses emited by the Busa I bet. Take me to your leader. :) All kidding aside. I can't believe all the great minds we got here. Keep it up guys. And yes the Buse needs a gear indicator more than any other bike. Heck it really only needed 3 gears.

my mod isn't much...had one of the rear reflectors fall off and was just going to axe them all. But i found these cool little red reflector/license plate bolts at the shop and put them in place of the rear ones. Looks a little better and i belive it should shave .02 off my quarter mile time..;-)

speed

Busageek, I think you should get together with sherm an develop/mass produce your gear position indicator. It's an awesome idea that few here could build themselves. I for one would buy! By the sound of the responses a lot of others would too. Let me know if you feel like making another one (I'm sold!) I could do my own install.
thanks
-mabusa

Busageek

Thanks for the code

will try it later today
Thanks for the voltages
have been meaning to go out and get them. Now I don't have to (and its raining!!)

You da man!!!

Nuts

Busageek

Any ECM problems with your device fitted? playing with the resistance values......

I was thinking more along the lines of Op Amps and stuff??
Like your code. Neat. and so simple

Nuts

now i have the voltages thanks to BusaGeek, I might have discovereed a much cheaper alternative

Bar Graph LED Array...."10-element LED arrays with monolithic integrated circuit display drivers. Successive LED's light as the analogue input voltage level increases past prescaled threshold points"

Now this would be just the ticket. Will be ordering one of these today to get wired up as soon as possible. They are cheap as chips!
(pun intended!!!)
hee hee
good old BusaGeek
Got my grey matter working
Thanks bud!!

Nuts

Not to sure how that idea will work out though?

Counting the number of bars might be a bit of a practical problem when at speed on the Busa and depending on size of bars of course.

realy since the pick up on the shift indicator has seperate cotacts for each one you could just dig into it and make each one activat independently thus no need to use anything complicated just ind led lights with numbers above them?

aaahhhhh!!!

different colours on the array bar graph, built in!!!

6 green, 2 yellow, 2 red

so, top 2 red = 6
2 yellow = 5
top 2 green = 4
next 2 green = 3
next 2 green = 2

don't really care about 1 !!!

or could use 1 led segment each for 1 & 2 gear

Have ordered one, get it tomorrow hopefully!!

let you know.........
nuts

[This message has been edited by NumbNuts (edited 30 June 2000).]

Hey NN, that's fun in more than 1 way, very practical to begin with and fitting colours for 5th and 6th gears too!

Now it's beginning to sound like an even better way of doing it to me too.

If I could wink over the 'net I would Animal!!

lets just hope it works!!

The Array is about £6.00 ish

Might need a few resistors and such, but it looks pretty simple

Hip Hip hoorah for BusaGeek!!!!

Nuts

Indeed ... and one might add

where's Roman from Down Under when we need him?

On the other hand, seems like BusaGeek and some of you that have now come out of hiding make him superfluous on this subject ... and we (Busa owners in general) might end up with another very useful addition to our bikes by sharing info/knowledge here and what comes from that ... ain't it a great thing ... sometimes!

Good Analog-to-Digital convertors won't even be noticed by the Busa ECM. No FI Lights on my bike yet.
Motorhead - as for using the individual wires, I thought of it too, but they combine in the little unit behind the clutch stack and leave the engine cases as three wires.

I've just order a chip that should bring the cost down significantly, will be here next Friday or so. It will drive any display that we think looks cool. I also sent out for some PC Boards to be professionally done to increase reliablity, reduce size, and make it look cool.

If all goes well, I should be able to get them to all of you for about $25 for a professional package.

BTW, I'm also working on an On-Board A/F Ratio unit that will allow us to run the bike, then dowload data. This WILL take into effect ram air and the correct vehicle weight. For those who know tuning, should I do Exhaust Gas Temperature? If so, where can I get a cheap sensor.

Back