What leather jacket do you guys recommend?

Joe rocket high end jackets would be the low end Alpine star or Dianese jacket. that is a FACT! not even in the same universe as far as quality!

the fit, finish and supple leather of an Astar or Dianese compared to a Joe rocket is like comparing a 1980 suzuki to a 2013 suzuki. Have you bought any of the new top of the line Astar leather jackets to compare? if so, which one?

You really are off base on this one. Joe Rocket & Alpinstar are considered the Ford & Chevy of leathers. If I remember correctly they both get their leather from the same supplier and both use 1.4mm leather with triple stitching on their high end stuff. Both make cheap stuff and both make race quality stuff. I think maybe your experience could have been low end JR and high end AS?

Both do a pretty good job of crashing. From my experience both hold up better in a crash than dainese. Dainese is the most comfy leathers I have ever worn and all I use for street but I wouldn't even consider it for track use.

You really are off base on this one. Joe Rocket & Alpinstar are considered the Ford & Chevy of leathers. If I remember correctly they both get their leather from the same supplier and both use 1.4mm leather with triple stitching on their high end stuff. Both make cheap stuff and both make race quality stuff. I think maybe your experience could have been low end JR and high end AS?

Both do a pretty good job of crashing. From my experience both hold up better in a crash than dainese. Dainese is the most comfy leathers I have ever worn and all I use for street but I wouldn't even consider it for track use.
im talking about their HIGH end leather jackets. have you bought any of their high end stuff that has come out in the last year? BIG difference from what they use to make. I bought their top of the line jacket last year and it was the softest, finest leather I have ever felt.

what am off base about? I never said Joe Rocket was top of the line gear. I think its low end crap but thats just my opinion.

I see plenty of riders on the pro circut as well as those racing in TT that wear Astar. I think Astar's leather is 1.3 with stretch kevlar. but I dont race around the track and neither does 99% of the people riding and buying leather gear so what it does at the track really isnt important to most people. but plenty of professional riders use Astar and Dianese and have for decades.

I was never really all that impressed with Dianese as far as comfort but have never gone down wearing Dianese leathers so I have no idea how they would hold up.

Just so you know Brett, Rossi's Dainese leathers are not off the shelf and you cannot buy what he gets. Same goes for Alpinstar. Nicky Hayden's AS leathers are far from what you get off the shelf. Matt MLadin was the poster child for Joe Rocket and I'm sure Matt knows a bit about leathersIf you want to know what works and what don't, spend a little time at the track and see how off the shelf leathers survive a crash. I don't wear leathers for the good looks, I wear leathers to protect my carcass when I crash.

Once you have a half dozen sets of beatup leathers hanging in the garage you may have a different opinion. Experience seems to have that effect. Until then you are entitled to your opinion.

Just so you know Brett, Rossi's Dainese leathers are not off the shelf and you cannot buy what he gets. Same goes for Alpinstar. Nicky Hayden's AS leathers are far from what you get off the shelf. Matt MLadin was the poster child for Joe Rocket and I'm sure Matt knows a bit about leathersIf you want to know what works and what don't, spend a little time at the track and see how off the shelf leathers survive a crash. I don't wear leathers for the good looks, I wear leathers to protect my carcass when I crash.

Once you have a half dozen sets of beatup leathers hanging in the garage you may have a different opinion. Experience seems to have that effect. Until then you are entitled to your opinion.
well Tuf no one knows more about this subject them you so im not even gonna attempt to refute ur opinion on this matter.

I think when we look at the majority of riders that are interested in top of the line (off-the shelf) leathers most would turn either to STG, Revzilla or Cycle Gear to shop when searching for the best quality leather jacket. at any one of those stores I think the high end Astar or Dianese would best quality leather one could find. most arent looking for a full suit to use on the street and im sure ur right the leathers that the pro's wear vs. what u buy at the store are not the same.

I have been to several different Cycle Gear stores between here and Jersey to try on different leather jackets and the Joe Rocket stuff was like putting on a card board jacket compared to the high end Astar and Dianese stuff.

but like I said the majority of people are not track riders and wont have the ability to try out many different leathers to see what will hold up and what wont.

if you had to pick two manufactors that either amateur or professional riders most often use would you say its Astar and Dianese or some other brand? I just make mental notes when watching on TV or look thru magazines and it appears that I see Astar and Dianese more often then any other brand.

im more of 1/4 mile guy so I dont spend any time at the road race track. at the drag strip its Bates and Vanson hands down but they are not very comfortable to wear on the street imo. I was fitted for a Vanson leather jacket up in Mass last year and it just didnt even compare to the Astar jacket I had bought and returned but those leathers are not designed to go down repeatedly. they are more about having the lightest weight yet still adhearing to track rules which reguire leathers if going a certain speed or ET.

Well Brett, I do actually have some experience with Joe Rocket Gear. JR sponsored our race team for three years and we tested their durability on a number of occasions. Their Carbon Fiber helmets were sweet as well as their gloves which are my favorite gloves of all. I wasn't crazy about their boots. I have two pair of their gloves, one for track and one for street that I wear regularly although I also have Arlin Ness, Taichi and Alpinestar but it's the JR's that get used.

I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers Brett. I'm simply defending Joe Rocket products. It's okay if you choose to bash JR, just don't expect to go unchallenged following a name calling rant on a good product produced by a long standing good company!

I've been wearing Joe Rocket gear over a dozen years now, and will continue to.
Their quality is as good as the competition!
They also run true to size.

Well Brett, I do actually have some experience with Joe Rocket Gear. JR sponsored our race team for three years and we tested their durability on a number of occasions. Their Carbon Fiber helmets were sweet as well as their gloves which are my favorite gloves of all. I wasn't crazy about their boots. I have two pair of their gloves, one for track and one for street that I wear regularly although I also have Arlin Ness, Taichi and Alpinestar but it's the JR's that get used.

I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers Brett. I'm simply defending Joe Rocket products. It's okay if you choose to bash JR, just don't expect to go unchallenged following a name calling rant on a good product produced by a long standing good company!
well, if you say JR has some quality stuff out there ill take ur word on it. I just havent seen much of it myself. the stuff I see and have tried on in the retail stores just seems to be subpar quality to me compared to Astar and Dianese but ill take ur word on it that they higher end stuff available.

All of my Jackets, Suits and Gloves are Vanson. The factory is 2 hours from my house. My Boots are Sidi.

I buy a lot of my gear off Ebay. A lot of retailers sell gear on there brand new and usually with free shipping. You can compare the brands and prices to really get the jacket you want. I'm usually able to get gear 5-10 bucks cheaper than off a direct site :thumbsup:

wearing something is better than nothing to protect your hide and i prefer the A-stars for looks and fit. primarily for street use and to look cool, or so i think.

I have a Icon accellerant jacket that I have had for a couple years...love the fit and comfort. I just bought a Alpinestars RC-1 and havent rode with it on yet. The fit of the RC-1 is weird standing in the living room but sitting on the bike it feels great. I have tried on the AGV jackets in the store and didn't like the feel at all. They seemed a little cheaply made to me.

I love my Kobe jacket and pants that i bought through a group buy on this site. Made with 1.7mm cowhide instead of the 1.2 - 1.4mm most of you are refering to. Got them both for 200 shipped. Worn out now need more but the are 200 each now. Hope for another Kobe leathers group buy:please: any one interested. perforated or non. wish they were a sponsor.

I've always purchased Alpinestars jackets, boots, and gloves, and Shoei helmets--but that's just my personal preference. Best thing to do is go to a dealership or store with a large selection and try on a number of manufacturers and styles.

Get fitted for a tux...pay for the measurements...call around to the bates / vanson and be happy with the best you can buy / afford...either company will help you with the suit you desire...drag / road racing. When you zip up the suit it is as comfortable as nice jeans... minus the heat during the summer

Back