What leather jacket do you guys recommend?

voodoolord

Registered
Im looking for a good leather and have want some input on what you guys are using. Do you know anything about the quality of AGV and Joe rocket leathers? Is there a particular manufacturer and model you would recommend?

This is kind of one of those personal opinion things. I've got one Joe Rocket and 2 Fieldsheer jackets. I've been down twice in one Fieldsheer jacket and didn't have a place on me. Almost any leather sport jacket will do the trick. I would recommend a good back protector to go along with it though. I bought all my jackets on closeout, I'm no name brand *****. Couple of links where I've found some good deals at.

MotorcycleGear.com (the new name of New Enough) :: Motorcycle Jackets, Helmets, Gloves, Boots, Luggage, Parts and More!

Motorcycle Helmets, Motorcycle Jackets, Motorcycle Gear at Competition Accessories

I bought a Joe Rocket leather jacket last year cause I didnt want to spend the money on a better quality one. if ur on a tight budget I guess their OK but imo u get wat u pay for and considering u'll probably have ur leather jacket longer then u'll own ur bike id say spend the extra money.

there is an absolute NITE and DAY difference between a good quality leather jacket like Dianese, Astar, etc... then ull find in a Joe Rocket leather jacket or any other for that matter.

Quality is more important to me than anything. Im not going to buy it new just barely used to save some money. I dont like paying retail so Im checking Craigs, anyone have experience with AGV? Are the Alpinstars jackets high end? Thanks for the input.

I have a Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 and I love it. It has good padding and thick leather and it has removable pannels on the sides and down the arms so its still cool in the summer.

Are the Alpinstars jackets high end? Thanks for the input.
I can tell you first hand that I bought this jacket last year.... Alpinestars GP Tech Air Leather Jacket Black/Grey/White from SportbikeTrackGear.com but ended up returning it cause I just couldnt warm up to the big hump but I can tell you that the leather right out of the box felt like no other leather I have ever felt before.

it felt like it was broken in after wearing it for 20 years right out of the box. I would say their high end stuff is as good as it gets. Dianese is just as good imo but they seem to be a little heavier for my taste.

old thread, might give you some ideas: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/150017-show-your-riding-jacket.html

A pic of some that I have (in case you noticed, I like ICON...have 4 so far)

219259d1304610968-show-your-riding-jacket-riding-jackets.jpg

I bought a Joe Rocket leather jacket last year cause I didnt want to spend the money on a better quality one. if ur on a tight budget I guess their OK but imo u get wat u pay for and considering u'll probably have ur leather jacket longer then u'll own ur bike id say spend the extra money.

there is an absolute NITE and DAY difference between a good quality leather jacket like Dianese, Astar, etc... then ull find in a Joe Rocket leather jacket or any other for that matter.

That is absolutely not true... It depends on what line you buy.... Like comparing a Suzuki Hayabusa to a Honda Goldwing... Joe Rocket has several lines to choose from too.

The best leathers are the ones that fit properly. Like helmets, how the leathers fit has a great deal to do with how well they perform in a crash. Most leathers will survive one crash. I judge gear not by comfort but how it holds up in the event of a crash. This goes for everything from helmets to boots.

The very best crash leathers I have witnessed is Taichi. Taichi leathers as well as their gloves do an exceptional job during a crash. One of our race fellas crashed 16 times during one season and his Taichi Leather Suit was still useable at the end of the season. He survived all 16 crashes with no serious injuries.

On the other end of the spectrum is Fieldsheer. Fieldsheer comes apart at the seams on a regular basis and Icon is not much better if any. Joe Rocket and Alpinestar seems to be the most popular middle of the road leather. Both hold up well and generally survive multiple crashes. Although I did see one Joe Rocket race suit separate at a shoulder seam during a serious crash.

However, in my view, fit is just as important as leather quality and stitching. Double or triple stitching is desirable just as a zipper to attach any two piece suit together, preferably a wrap around zipper. It's no fun when the jacket slips up under the armpits and your belly is exposed to the pavement. I've seen pants yanked down around the knees and the butt cheeks looking pretty sour. Two piece leathers that zip together avoids these issues.

A snug fit keeps the armor in place, knees-elbows etc. A loose fit allows the leathers to be twisted and displacing the protective armor. A tight fit that is still comfortable is your best bet to enjoy the ride as well as maximize protection. Don't forget the zipper around the middle! :thumbsup:

I really like my Alpinestars jacket, but I've also had good luck with Joe Rocket. I'm not a huge fan of JR's leather jackets though, but they really figured out the perforated/textile market.. :beerchug:

Well I just bought a teknic leather jacket. I bought some of there gloves last summer and really liked them so I thought I would give one of the jackets a try. I have heard Alpinestars glove stitching is bad so not sure how the jackets are.

I'm a big fan of Icon leather jackets. I've had 2 different ones and loved the fit/finish of both. I'm not to found of their helmets, but I do think they have some of the best street riding gear out

That is absolutely not true... It depends on what line you buy.... Like comparing a Suzuki Hayabusa to a Honda Goldwing... Joe Rocket has several lines to choose from too.
Joe rocket high end jackets would be the low end Alpine star or Dianese jacket. that is a FACT! not even in the same universe as far as quality!

the fit, finish and supple leather of an Astar or Dianese compared to a Joe rocket is like comparing a 1980 suzuki to a 2013 suzuki. Have you bought any of the new top of the line Astar leather jackets to compare? if so, which one?

Back