What Kawasaki is telling dealers about the 12R

OB_Bob

Registered
Went to my dealer today and talked with one of the service tech's who attended a class for Kawasaki updates. Same type of thing I got the Suzuki tech update manual from.
Anyway, the guy who went is not my friend that went to Suzuki training, which means I won't vouch for him on accuracy since I do not know him well.
But, the ZX12 came up at the class and here is what the instructor CLAIMS:
1. He rode one for about 600 miles.
2. 410 lbs dry weight (yeah i know the brochure that the dealers won't let leave their premises says 463 lbs.)
3. Production started
4. Nothing will touch it in the 1/4 mile
5. 183 HP at the crank--13 more with their ram air set-up

Don't flame me--My only real suspicion about this bike is the weight. I have not sat on one yet, but many who have claim it felt much lighter than our Busa?

This info. is probably Bull, but does anyone ever remember a manufacturer releasing weight numbers too high than actual before the bike hits the dealers? I have been wondering why the 12 would weigh as much as the Busa given the 100 cc's less displacement, mag. engine covers, and relatively smaller backbone frame?
I think everyone was expecting 440-450 lbs. dry
Bob

Bob i sat on one, and it felt like my friend's R1 when i took it off the side stand except lighter. I gave it the big tug like i do on my Busa, and it was like no weight, very light.

Our Busa has magnesium engine covers as well.

I doubt that the ZX12 weighs fifty pounds less than their literature(463lb), just think about it. They have not found some *Area 51* alloy to build the ZX12 from.

If the ZX12 weighs 410, I will burn by Busa with me on it. And I will let Jamie and Kninjaknight light the match.

Maybe the wear on the tires was from pushing it around. It also had carbon in the exhaust, the weight off the side stand shocked me!

I didn't know our engine covers were Mag.? Learned something new again on Hayabusa.org.

But, I have sat / ridin R1's, ZX9, ZX6, GSXR750, etc. THEY FEEL LIGHTER....

If jimP sat on one and it felt lighter, could it be lower center of gravity?? Isn't the fuel tank below the seat on this bike? Did anyone hear gas sloshing around when tipped side to side. Did they start the Bike?

I agree Kawabuser, why not let the world know how light. And, quite honestly, i just about decided to focus on the Busa instead and use the downpayment on the ZX12R for the the 929RR.(Busa keeps growing on me everyday and its runnning great) The GSXR750 I have decided not to wait for. (Still no price or firm del) Plus I can get the 929RR for $8999.00
Bob
jim p--just saw your post--sounds like the ZX12R definitely ran

[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 09 November 1999).]

Bob, Rob Muzzy has a 12 and is already working on a Ti pipe for it. Pipes will be ready for sale when they hit the showroom. According to Dave at Muzzy it was 161 on the dyno stock.

Back to Gixxer1300r's point. I used to show my old custom show bike all the time with no engine internals in it 'cause the shows are in the winter and my mill parts were in the shop.

What would stop Kawi, given the lack of corporate ethics they have already displayed by putting Gadsen on the street, from doing the same?

Kawasaki has balls, unlike some of the crybaby whining know it all baby talkers I see here pissing and moaning. Your beat, face it, love it , learn to live with it. In a very short time you will only be in second place. I got two words for ya, SUCK IT!

well , ill tell ya . i dont really care if the 12 is faster stock than a stock busa.
mostly just because my busa isnt stock and you can only pull so much much hp per cc before you have to come up with more cc's.push it too far and you start to loose reliability ,ridability and efficiency. the 12 may put out "said hp" but a 1300 will have more hp potential simply due to basic physics.
lets not have another flame thread.these guys like speedfreak just love to fire us up and 9 times out of ten they ride an f1 or somthing if they even ride at all.
this one should be locked up soon i expect.

well , ill tell ya . i dont really care if the 12 is faster stock than a stock busa.
mostly just because my busa isnt stock and you can only pull so much much hp per cc before you have to come up with more cc's.push it too far and you start to loose reliability ,ridability and efficiency. the 12 may put out "said hp" but a 1300 will have more hp potential simply due to basic physics.
lets not have another flame thread.these guys like speedfreak just love to fire us up and 9 times out of ten they ride an f1 or somthing if they even ride at all.
this one should be locked up soon i expect.

410 lb dry.......? Does anyone remember the AMA racing busa of Rad Greaves is 409 lb......? It had a boat load of after market parts to get down that low (wheels, exhaust, body, etc).

I think someone is pulling our leg. On the Kawasaki web page they have the weights listed for all to see (I don't think the folks from Japan would lie about this sort of stuff....loose face ya know):

ZX9 - 392.5 lbs.
ZX11 - 514 lbs.
ZX12 - 476.3 lbs.

No way it's 66.3 lbs different than what they publish.

Why is every one shaking in their boots because someone claims their bike is faster, lighter,greener or what ever,bottom line is if you see one at the light either they are going to go for it or you are and if you are the last one to leave the light and did not pay attention then you deserve to lose.It's the rider and not the bike in most cases.With bikes of equal or close to equal weight and horse power it will boil down to the rider,the type of tire he has and the gearing he has on the sprocket.Now go figure on the price per performance and decide which bike to have or buy and if you are like those new Harley riders that have tons of money to blow get the one that you will look good on cause that is the bike that will make you happy but please take a riding class or racing school to make yourself safe from guys like me who like to Bonzi down the freeway or backroads and scare the sh@t out of you when I go Mach II by you.Bottom line be happy with what you have,cost wise and performance wise.If you want to go faster than buy a SR-71 and learn to fly it.My 2cents

[This message has been edited by Cisco San Jose (edited 10 November 1999).]

Any way you put it the BUSA is still KING!! Until they get them on the road .. its only a myth hehehehe It rough on top.. every ya-hoo wants a piece.

I am enjoy'n my bike about you guys ??

Bob the 929 will definately be a kickass sportbike, the serious threat to the reigning King R-1. A full ti exhaust and 330mm brakes are industry firsts, and that long swingarm suggests they plotted their course carefully to take on the R-1. Formula Extreme should be a great series to watch with the new 929's, wonder if Graves will be back on the #70Busa.

Suzuki-Yosh is supposed to be racing the current 99 model next year due to the 2000 models late release.

Rules are changing in the Superbike world with *factory race kits* being cost controled.

RC51 should satisfy my v-twin needs since I bought the Busa over a 996 last year. I have ridden many Ducati's and they are awsome handling bikes, it's just in my eyes they have become overpriced maintenance pigs.

Bob,
I have read the new gixxer 750 lap times have been the same as the euro=spec super sports, considering they have can have blueprinted engines, exhaust systems and suspension changes, that is good news for those who have money down on one. They have been testing the bike in Germany. This truly is an out of the box racer, and I thought the 99's were a hot item. You might want to reconsider the zx-12 for the gixxer, if your looking for handling its a hell of a bike, I'm afraid it would put the ZX12 and the Busa to shame in the twisties, and with a claimed 5 more rwhp this year it should
go like a raped ape.

Thanks for the update on the 750. It would be a great compliment to the Hayabusa. Plus traditional Blue/white colors--Thats the color combo the Busa should have. Different type of bike with a different purpose than the Busa.
But, A price and delivery date would be nice soon.
Did not want to start a flame thread. Why all of the different weight numbers on the 12 though? 463--brochure, 476 magazine, 410--Kaw?
Bob

Given that the ZX12 is -3" wheelbase, smaller tank and narower than a busa, I was suprised that it weighed as much as 476. keep in mind that they had two targets in mind. The R-1 and the busa. The new R-1 weights 385, that's a terrible disadvantage in corner exit acceleration and the R-1 has a stacked tranny and longer swing arm.
With a stacked tranny, shorter wheelbase and pivotless backbone frame the busa could easily loose 50 -60 LBs

Cisco:
Do you have a SR-71 for sale ??? This bird is the ultimate, I just love it. Have only seen one as a radar-plot. Damn fast. Oh Lord wont you buy me a SR-71, the others drive busa's and Kawas like glue............

Back